Modding Help File structure in assets - creating a "crafting station" of sorts

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by MelOzone, Aug 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MelOzone

MelOzone Pangalactic Porcupine

Hi! I'm a newbie in modding SB, although I'm familiar with programming, json/lua and game modification. Right now I'm grinding through tutorials, and while making simple things (like modifying existing objects) is rather easy, I'm interested in more complex stuff.
    I'm currently using SMK to unpack mod files and I'm digging inside some of the mods get an understanding of their principles. I've also disassembled Gun Assembler (see what I did here?) to see if anything within can be used.
    For starters, I've decided to try and create a "crafting station" that allows renaming weapons. For example, setting another random name to a gun you have. Basically what StarCheat does, but within the game.
    I've already found where the bulk of the crafting stations are being held: objects/crafting/. File structure is more or less transparent. I'm currently not interested in making an "upgradable" station although I already see how it's done.
    interface/windowconfig/ basically describes crafting window layout, and recipes/<craftingstation> holds recipes for every crafted item in separate files.

1) From what I understand, station's behavior on activation is described in the lua file. That's the core of what I need to write. The rest seems comparatively easy. Where are the luas? So far I've found no references in the files.
    2) I've noticed the 1st tier Inventor's table is called "inventorstable" in the files, but the recipes are under resipes/inventorstable1. Are there any references stating the paths for recipes for every station?
    3) Is there a GUI tool for making windowconfig-s quiclky?

Note: I'm not asking to make something for me. I'm asking to help me understand it so I could do it myself :)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

#2 They set up "upgradable" crafting stations, so you only need the recipe for the first stage, then the other stages are defined within the initial crafting table object config, including upgrade cost.

3. MelOzone

MelOzone Pangalactic Porcupine

1) Found them. However for the crafting stations themselves there is a single lua that (I assume) is assigned to workbenches as a class. I've made my station a container - it can have a custom script easily. Now tinkering with the script itself.
    2) Answered on the IRC. Folder names do not matter in this case. The game sifts through all the files by .recipe extension, then filters them by station-specific tags.
    3) No such tool as of now. Perhaps someone will make it. One guy at the IRC channel sounded positive about it.

I wonder now if I can make an upgradable "container" crafting station. Guess I just have to try and see if it works ;)