1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Fight For Universe: Per Aspera Ad Astra 0.055

Modular Starship Construction System & More Planned

1. both of them? I just tried, downloaded and extracted it with 7zip, everything worked perfectly.

2. Ender1117

Ender1117 Phantasmal Quasar

Works with 7zip, I avoid it like the plague though. Prefer .rar files. But Yes, I can see/use everything now. Thank, and can't wait for more!

IN THE NAME OF THE EMPEROR!
    So say we all!

3. Well, I prefer 7zip files because it takes less time to upload, since the files size if smaller, I was just in hurry to work and compressed it as zip via 7zip.

4. Ender1117

It's all good. MadTulips has been (rightly) ranting about the starship system for the game, and I left him a link here. He also had some good ideas for ship interaction.

Just me talking, but It may be a good idea for y'all to collaborate, or at least talk them over. I don't think I saw all of his thoughts addressed in your mod description.

5. Sorry, but I prefer to work solo when it gets to coding/ideas/implementation.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  6. Ender1117

nothing wrong with that. At least you don't have to deal with people disagreeing with you and the drama that spawns from that situation.

7. 123nick

123nick Void-Bound Voyager

so there is modded minecraft players who also play starbound! exactly what i think (and hope) too

8. JoeShmo

JoeShmo Void-Bound Voyager

Yea that can be quite a bit of work. When me and Death were working on BFFB , he redid all of the designs, including and basing it on the changes made to the hull linkpoints per Big Beef. He made a lot of cool unique ships, definitely stuff that stood out from the crowd at the time. Hitting an advanced ship felt like a real fight. Think he spent the good part of a week working almost entirely on it; was like playing with legos.

Edit: Just to point out though, you say many times that you wont balance the game until you are done with everything else, so thats not really an excuse :p <3 .

9. Nope, I'm not minecraft player, more over I dislike minecraft and I don't play it.

You see, unlike him I can't completely focus on doing only one thing, when it's so boring. If like your friend I will focus on SPAZ I think I could finish all designs and hulls revamp within 5 or 6 weekends. So far I add designs occasionally and since I've setup Git for modding on my server, from time to time I add some designs from workplace.

10. JoeShmo

Oh no I get it, it can be hard to keep focus on something for prolonged periods of time sometimes. Thats kinda why I said "Hopefully hes not stretching himself too thin between all his projects; almost a year since he started this one." . I know first hand the sort of "ADHD" effect work can create, especially monotonous parts of modding/code. The character building aspect of it, is knowing when you need to take a break to enjoy / experience other things and ideas, and when to keep pushing forward. Its too easy to keep working on "new stuff" because its more exciting and fresh, and neglect your original work. This leads to a lot of unfocused programers/artists/etc. , who may never actually "finish" anything, and companies that create way too much "inspiring" work, that overall leads a game to have no real content or substance at all since its a childs toy room.

In the case of modding (and similarly content providers like Youtube users), one should remember their fan/player-base at all times. If you work on something new, is it going to interfere with your previous work; and can you realistically handle your old work in the same capacity while adding new responsibilities. Something usually has to give, and in a lot of cases is not fair for any party to feel like they are under-performing and/or being neglected.

Im sure the SPAZ folks will love to finally see a real beta release of the mod, or a final release, as Im sure the Starbound folks will be eager to see your finished work too, along with any other project areas you are working on (including IRL stuff). Just be cautious and fair to yourself and the community, no sense in over-stretching your goals. It really would be a shame to have too much on your plate at once, to the point where neither side gets to see things to the end.

Good luck in your endeavors.

11. Ender1117

Joe, cut it out. What you seem to be forgetting is that this is his hobby. He has a real life outside of the computer, which includes a job, a paycheck, probably a significant other, and friends. His rent is not dependent on money from the mods and videos he makes, and so he has no obligation to you, me, or anyone else to make anything. He has every right to walk off and never code another thing ever again and be happy about it. So if he feels like making mods for starbound, then that is his call. If he wants to make mods for SPAZ, then that's his call too. But you, as the dependent party in this equation, have no right to harass him for his decisions.

Sorry for ranting on your thread WarStalkeR, but that is one of my biggest pet-peeves, because it's the people that demand things from modders that cause the gaming community to loose soo much of it's modding talent.

12. No problem Ender. Meanwhile, ship on the screenshot is completely built using Modular Starship Construction System. It almost completely integrated in player's starting starship (just need some corrections), as well hold some new important parts which allow creation of angular hulls. I can say that framework of Modular Starship Construction System is laid out and I can start working on additional decorative parts as well color variants for other races:
    [​IMG]

13. <Here was same stuff as at the OP>

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  14. ejh1990

ejh1990 Phantasmal Quasar

This is seriously looking like it's going to be my favourite game mod. I am already having tons of fun building my own little ship... And that feature, if your other thread is anything to go by, is literally nothing compared to what you have planned. :eek:

I said it there, and I'll say it again here: what you have planned is everything that I thought would make Starbound cool. I'm very interested to see where this mod goes. And I'll definitely be revisiting this mod from time to time. :)

Great work! :D

15. JoeShmo

Wow man, way to get overly personal. Where did I say he was obligated to do anything? Besides that, I think your "use" and definition of obligation is skewed. If there ever was an obligation, its the moral aspect of it that if you start a project with continued mention and intent to work on and finish it, that you do just that; or you come out and state that you just cant work on it anymore. Neither of which was the intent of my posts; only that I had a brief mention of a concern, I commented about my and a fellows parallel understanding of modding in SPAZ, some cautionary tale and my support in his continued work.

Please dont try and turn this into a "me vs him" by creating a "white knight" fight. Ive known War for over a year now, and was involved in colab mod that included his work as part of my time there. Ive had plenty of time to gauge the kind of person he is in regards to modding and his interaction with community, and I consider him a colleague in that respect. When I saw that he had been working on a Starbound mod here, I cam with that mentality intact, to speak to someone I had been acquainted with for a while now; and since Ive been tracking the game and hence have been playing since its beta release to the masses, it was that much more easier to come in. Your "jumping in" feels a lot like a new friend getting huffy over an old friend appearing and jestingly giving the co-oped friend a jab. Very unjustly defensive.

In either case though, the whole "modders are above approach and reproach" because they "do it for free" or its a hobby, is a farce. Everyone is held responsible for their actions and responsibilities. I on the other hand, was just giving friendly advice and perspective as per my experience. Its up to him to decide ultimately how he proceeds, and it was nothing more than that. Its easy to forget the little people and the little things that make all things possible.

And again, I wish him well on his journey and work.

Hysteria and Conir like this.
  16. isaac221133

isaac221133 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Really cool mod.:)

17. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

Damn I hope you are sharing these with the developers.... some of these ideas should be part of the main game lol

18. IdentityNon

IdentityNon Astral Cartographer

This is amazing and I am going to have so much fun with this. Thanks for constantly answering all my questions, War!

19. Asteroides

Asteroides Subatomic Cosmonaut