Fertilizer re-use in Greenhouse

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by medicdude, Dec 23, 2017.

1. medicdude

medicdude Intergalactic Tourist

Request that I be able to re-apply basic or quality fertilizer inside the greenhouse without replanting everything.

A fertilizer hopper that would auto-apply the fertilizer on the change of season would be cool, this could help with application of other fertilizers as well.

Or you could just disable the seasonal depletion of fertilizer inside the greenhouse, it doesn't really make sense to me.

Or the mechanics of standard fertilizer could be changed so that it can be applied mid-growth, with the result bonus multiplied by the portion of time the plant had fertilizer.

nekoCrimson likes this.
    • nekoCrimson

nekoCrimson Subatomic Cosmonaut

Personally, I'd always wished you could apply fertilizer after a crop had already been planted. Especially helpful for early-game planting, multi-harvest crops, or if you're like me and just tend to space out a lot... Anyways, if that was patched in, it would also affect the greenhouse, so as far as I see, it's a win/win.

But I also agree with the idea that the fertilizer shouldn't deplete in the greenhouse at all, not necessarily because it's more realistic that way, but because the depletion of fertilizer is based on the seasons changing and not a daily count-down, and the seasons don't normally apply to the greenhouse. If the fertilizer depletion was calculated differently (i.e, X amount of days after being applied, or a random chance every day, where the chance is higher the closer to the end of the season, kind of like how ladder-generation works in the mines) I wouldn't mind having it also depleting in the greenhouse. But even in that case, I'd still like to be able to apply it to already-planted crops.

Nerfpig likes this.
      • medicdude

medicdude Intergalactic Tourist

@nekoCrimson You can apply the speedgro and the retaining soil over already planted crops, just not the 'standard' (basic and deluxe) fertilizers. Which is weird and inconsistent IMO.

I think just disabling fertilizer depletion in the greenhouse is the simplest solution, it just more of a pain in the ass, usually if you can unlock the greenhouse you already have plenty of gold income such that re-buying the fertilizer doesn't have much of an economical impact.

It would be a small buff for re-grow plants, but IMO they need it because those plants are not anywhere near as good as the single-grow plants.

nekoCrimson likes this.
        • nekoCrimson

nekoCrimson Subatomic Cosmonaut

I didn't know you could use Speedgro or Quality Retaining fertilizers... I guess I just tried it with the basic fertilizer and just went "eh, guess I can't do that" and never bothered trying again.

In that case, yes, I agree with you absolutely. The greenhouse is otherwise completely immune to any season-changing effects and the fertilizer decay just doesn't seem consistent with all of its other effects.