Fence Decay

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by amirveld, Mar 10, 2017.

?

Would you want this to be a customizable setting?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. amirveld

amirveld Space Hobo

So I've been playing Stardew Valley for quite a while now and I enjoy it a lot. But what really bugs me is that the fences keep decaying. It's really frustrating and since I'm slightly autistic, it keeps bugging my mind too. It would be one hell of a lot better to just be able to change that setting between decay and no decay.

To be clear, it's not that I find it too difficult, I just don't like doing it and it ruins a big part of the fun of the game. Please, I'm talking to you Operators, please add this small simple function in the settings to disable fence decay :/
    This small change would change my playing experience is a big positive way.

• Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

If I may make a suggestion, why do you try -not- using fences for the time being? perhaps your thread will be looked at by CA or a mod-maker and will eventually implement it as a future update. Until then, it would probably be more beneficial to you to avoid using fences, if their decay is such an issue for yourself.

Edit: I found this, perhaps you would like to take a look at it? http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/smapi-slower-fence-decay.110211/

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
        Fuzzyman likes this.
      • Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

There actually already is a way in-game to keep fences from decaying, it's just a ridiculously overpriced way. It's the golden clock, it prevents fences from decaying and debris from spawning on your farm. 10 mil g, tho... Yeah...

I just don't use fences most of the time and only use hardwood for my animals. A spouse + hardwood usually mean you'll never or very rarely have to repair fences on your own.

• Funcrunch

Funcrunch Void-Bound Voyager

I played for a long time without any fences, as I saw no need for them beyond aesthetics (I wasn't raising animals at the time). By the time the (hardwood) fences I constructed started decaying, I was married and my spouse fixed them before I even knew they were broken.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

There is a mod you might want to check out, called DurableFences. It prevents fence decay. I don't have it in my current game, because I haven't invested yet in animals, but I used it in the past with complete success.

And I agree: objects that wear isn't a bad idea in theory, but the implementation in SDV is tedious and annoying. It's the one area where I think the game mechanics could stand improvement. Just my opinion, mind.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
            • ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

I have at least 1 file that will never get married though, there's just no one I can see the character marrying. Without mods that is, which I'm too dumb to be able to do.X3

• oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

Or you could just use lightning rods as fences.

RabidKatt likes this.
                • amirveld

amirveld Space Hobo

I've tried installing mods but after hours of trying, still nothing worked. So I gave up on it :/

• amirveld

amirveld Space Hobo

Also thank you for the advice

• amirveld

amirveld Space Hobo

I do have a spouse, but they never repear the fences lol. Also I do have hardwood fences. But same issue. I didn't know about the golden clock though, that is something as a last resort option.

• amirveld

amirveld Space Hobo

Well I've been trying to install that mod for hours and hours but it just doesn't work :/ very frustrating.

• amirveld

amirveld Space Hobo

wat. That works? lel

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Do you mean that the mod doesn't work, or that you can't install it? And are you using SMAPI? If so, what version?

• Fuzzyman

Fuzzyman Scruffy Nerf-Herder

or beehives

• amirveld

amirveld Space Hobo

I have tried installing multiple versions of SMAPI, also multiple times the latest version that was available, but it always gave an unclear error after installing and I couldn't fix that.

• Funcrunch

Funcrunch Void-Bound Voyager

Is your spouse at full (13/12) hearts? Mine not only repairs fences but does stuff that doesn't need done, like feeding the animals when both the coop and barn have autofeed systems...

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

I never had that issue in my earlier game, and I haven't built any fences in my current ones. I'll add a fence piece, let you know if anything happens.

• Kasey

Kasey Tentacle Wrangler