1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Felins 3.9.1

Catgirls in Space!

1. Ignes_Vulpes

Ignes_Vulpes Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think the vanilla UI is bland, and could use a makeover. Tho I guess it would be a bit confusing to have the language in... Felinese?
    The UI idea is mostly for the HUD, like the toolbars, health\energy bars, ect.

2. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I don't think a species mod should include a UI theme mod, which already exist. And yes, yes it is felinese.

3. Ignes_Vulpes

If I can get GIMP to actually download on my crappy internet, I can try to make a Felin themed UI. If you're cool with it.
    One more thing, I'm curious about the translation between English & Felinese. It seems to be similar to the Ancient Alphabet, but also completely different. Personally I can't stand not being able to understand the signs, posters, and TVs. Will there be a translation codex like the Ancient Alphabet book?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  4. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I'll admit, I'm curious as to what you'd come up with.

The ancient alphabet is exactly that; twenty-six new glyphs that map directly to the Latin alphabet. Felinese is a complete functional language with a lexicon spanning almost 2500 words. A translation codex would be near impossible, if only because of the script that goes with it.

5. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

IMO, I'd make a separate mod Add-On, like you did with the Fur+ and Costumes+ mods, that people could download optionally.

It'd replace the UI graphics with Felin-themed things (whatever those would be), but obviously not "Felinese" everything, lol.

That way, if people want the "full felin experience", they'd download that mod too, but if they don't.... then they don't download it.

6. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

@Xylia: I could spin that.

7. Ignes_Vulpes

That's what I had in mind for it. In games that are mod friendly, I have to make it as immersive/realistic as I possibly can. As well as add/remove/fix things that I believe are/aren't so.

8. crystalfeather3

crystalfeather3 Starship Captain

Hi, just wondered (noob here!) if it's okay to install your mod with other race mods at the same time or will they conflict? Ex. Elithians and Avali? Also FU as well. Btw, thank you for what looks to be a cool race, I really want to try this one! Just wanted to check before adding this in case of trouble.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  9. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

@crystalfeather3: any properly-made species mod will play nice alongside any other. The author would need to make some very dumb mistakes for it to be otherwise. As far as I'm aware, Felin and FU work together just fine.

10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I can vouch for Felin+FU. They work perfectly fine together, in fact if you ALSO install Frackin'Races, Felins get some nice bonuses too.

Bonuses I can't live without. I try playing another race and I hate not having the bonuses Felins have from FR. So I wind up just playing nothing but Felin characters lol.

11. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Whereas Felin without FR only get increased jump height and reduced fall damage to match.

12. crystalfeather3

crystalfeather3 Starship Captain

Thanks for the info. For what it's worth, should I download from here or Steam? Steam puts everything in a pak, while the file here is all 'spread out' into folders. Being fairly new to modding Starbound, i'm not sure what's the better choice in terms of stability. Looking forward to trying your mod :)

13. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Both are fully stable, and Felins doesn't update constantly (not necessarily a bad thing, mind you).

The main advantage with using folders is that you can easily mod the mod yourself if an issue pops up (which is incredibly rare for Felins), whereas with a pak, ESPECIALLY steam workshop paks, this is much harder (if not outright impossible for workshop) to do.

Given that Felins isn't updated as often as, say, FU, and that Felins is very stable, I would recommend using Steam Workshop. When Felins is updated, Workshop will auto-update it for you.

With mods like Frackin Universe, the opposite is true:

FU is updated multiple times per day and you never know when the Workshop version is going to be updated (it can take several days) and sometimes a push to Workshop might occasionally have an issue, AND, given how many mods FU interacts with, sometimes an issue might pop up that you might need to edit a file or something (which is impossible with Workshop).

So, a mod like FU, I highly recommend the folder version. In fact, if you can, use the GitHub SCM client to update it, lol. Like.... twice+ a day. Seriously.

You can use both Workshop AND Folder mods (obviously not both copies of the same mod, lol). Right now, I use the entire Firrha (sp?) Project from Workshop, but FU and FR as Folders. It all works seamlessly.

Kawa likes this.
  14. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Earlier on Steam someone asked if it was possible to revert the felin SAIL to the earlier design. I gave 'em a zip to unpack into /assets/user/. Before that, I walked someone else through using the same folder to override the character creator species list so they could hoard more species than I'd offer buttons.

It's not that hard to do personal tweaks to a Workshop pak, is what I'm saying.

Also: "Firrhna", and the plural of felin is felin.

15. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I suppose one could dump a .patch in their \assets\ folder, but... you need to know the file structure of the mod to do so. And you won't know the file structure of the mod unless the author tells you what to do, or you extract the .pak personally.

If you hadn't told the person the file path of the correct file and what to put in the .patch, I doubt that person would have been able to find it without finding out which pak (the workshop packs use numbers as filenames), and unpak it and THEN find the right file, etc etc.

Yes, I suppose you can override with .patch files, but it's harder than just having the folder version and making an edit with n++.

That's what I thought, but......

Why is the mod called "Felins"? *grins*

16. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Because the mod here on the repo hasn't been renamed (yet). The plural of felin is felin, the friendly name in the metadata is Felin, the other name in the metadata is Felins because I wouldn't want to break any dependancies, the file name is felin-___.zip...

17. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Ahhh, okay. lol. I never looked up the actual names in-mod, because you know... no need to edit mod files because the mod never gives issues that I've ever seen.

EDIT: That, and I was just joking to be honest. lol

18. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

To be fair, the friendly name in the metadata is also what the Workshop item is called.

19. ThreeTen22

ThreeTen22 Astral Cartographer

Hey there I have a quick question in regards to compatibility with Create-A-Friend.
    It was strange that I couldn't figure out why felin wasn't showing up as a race (even though all of my other custom races were showing up just fine). After some digging I think I was able to solve it by adding a value to the species array in player.config

{ "op":"add", "path":"/species/-", "value":"felin" }

added the above in as a patch on a throwaway install and it seems to work just fine, but before I solidify adding it into my modded install I was wondering if keeping the felin race out of the species array was intentional.

20. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

@ThreeTen22 intentional in the sense that it isn't required for the felin to be listed there to use them in vanilla SB.