February 17 - Server Configuration Changes

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by metadept, Feb 17, 2015.

1. metadept

metadept Mostly Harmless Codesman

metadept submitted a new blog post:

February 17 - Server Configuration Changes

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Well that is definitely a step forward. That will be quite helpful for server owners.:)

3. bluecollarart

bluecollarart Big Damn Hero

This is pretty great, and thanks for taking the time out to explain!

The | Suit likes this.
  4. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

The formatting is pretty tight. I forgot a space before the colon in one of the lines and it just crashes. :rofl:
    But thanks for this! Server users management is a bit easier now.

5. SerinityFyre

SerinityFyre Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thanks for the new update!! :)

6. AbstrktDev

AbstrktDev Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks very much! Can't wait to implement users on my server!

7. Sese

Sese Pangalactic Porcupine

Thank you!
    Can't wait for the famous first boss challenge. Tried not to read anything spoiler-ish about it, but couldn't avoid them. Wish now it works as desired.

8. Woo, specific user accounts. Now I can make an automated script to update the server accounts from my forum ^^. No more generic password! In the future maybe you could implement an external "users.config" file so I can keep settings and user profiles separate.

9. HawK3yLV

HawK3yLV Phantasmal Quasar

Just an idea, but there should also be an option to use custom server-sided player files, so that people wouldn't use their cheated gear or use gear that wasn't even obtained on the current specific server. In my opinion it would be awesome!

10. teilnehmer

teilnehmer Existential Complex

Hej there, this is good news, and thanks for the clarification. One little thing though that's really confusing, maybe you can clear this up: The config-bits can be partially or completely found in various files:
    /starbound/starbound.config
    /starbound/sbboot.config
    /starbound/giraffe_storage/starbound.config
    /starbound/linux32/sbboot.config
    /starbound/linux64/starbound.config
    /starbound/linux64/sbboot.config

Since I'm on a Linux server, I don't know about the windows directories, but even this is quite excessive... Are these leftovers from old versions? Is there planned redundancy? What should I change?

Interestingly, my server is wide open at the moment, because for some reason the changes I made in the files I found make no difference (yes, I did restart the server), and people can login with any info they see fit as long as they leave the field "server account" blank (if they DO fill in an account name, a wrong password locks them out as it should).

I set "allowAnonymousConnections":false in all the files I could find... Could somebody verify that anonymous connections are possible regardless?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    hoodvisions likes this.
  11. This is nice indeed, it won't change at all from the normal password-only setting, for small servers it's possible to add one account per user who is logged in, now for bigger servers we're just sharing an guest account for all the guests. Bans fixed is a good thing, however they don't feel to be working if you try to ban just the uuid (and join back with the same uuid).

Now for us the biggest feature we could possible get is the crash fixes :p

12. Ovrad

Ovrad Aquatic Astronaut

Sooo... since the update I can't seem to move any item by using the left-click.

Did I mess somehting up in the controls or is this a pretty massive bug?

EDIT: False alarm, a reset fix the problem, not sure where it came from. I'll update if i can reproduce.

13. Milly Rainbowskittlez

Milly Rainbowskittlez Cosmic Narwhal

Ive checked the server.config file and i cant seem to find the "serverusers" line anywhere in it. Do we have to add it, or do i just need to reverify the config file?
    Another question, just to make absolute certain, the server.config is the one in the giraffe storage folder, correct?

Edit: Nevermind xwx its the starbound.config.
    Ok new question, when i add to these lines, the game refuses to start up. Im nearly 100% certain im just shoddy at coding and am not doing it right xwx. Im using wordpad to edit it if thats the problem.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  14. warxy

warxy Phantasmal Quasar

I don't like the passwords being exposed in plain text. I would suggest hashing the passwords and provide the server owners/admins a little hash utility.

Jelly Opera, Narks and Jonesy like this.
  15. Kittails

Kittails Void-Bound Voyager

It's pretty picky about the formatting. I thought the example was missing a comma, but I'm no coder and of course I was wrong so it caused a crash. Removed the comma so it matched the example and it started right up. Might double check the spacing and punctuation.

16. Milly Rainbowskittlez

I dont really see the point in hiding the password when the only way you would see it is if you typed it yourself. Unless of coarse youre in the room with others >o>

I typed it in exactly as it is from the example. I think im just derped in the brain or something xD
    Capture.PNG

17. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

You're missing a comma after the "admin": true
    it should be "admin": true,

18. supernovus

supernovus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

In addition to missing the comma that Ehksidian pointed out, it appears you are missing the closing } bracket from the "milly" user. It should not have a comma after it.

So, it should look like this:

Code:
    "serverUsers" : {
      "milly" : {
        "admin" : true,
        "password" : "millyisepic"
      }
    },

The config files are in JSON format, see the following links for more details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON
    http://json.org/

19. Milly Rainbowskittlez

yeah xD i tried deleting it to see if that would work, no lucks xD

20. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

Also what this guy said:
    I barely know how to touch programming, but this is probably right. Try this instead.