1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Fatal Exception caught: (GraphicsException) Could not create the Direct3d device: Creation call ...

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by CC10, Feb 28, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CC10

CC10 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Up, for I want responses.

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

You have 4 posts in a row. That is generally frowned upon.

No clue about your issue, sorry.

3. CC10

CC10 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, it is because I am not getting a lot of responses and I am not very happy that it is not working because I paid for this game.

4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Well you can get in trouble for doing so.

Do a clean install, meaning delete everything manually. The issue is for sure on your end because the game works just fine for many others.

5. CC10

CC10 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What do you mean by "everything" ?

6. CC10

CC10 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Never mind I did it; and it is still not working with still the same error, and I already had tried that before.

7. Kezeal

Kezeal Ketchup Robot

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\giraffe_storage
    Go there and tell us what the error states in the starbound.log

8. CC10

CC10 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The address on my computer is : E:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\giraffe_storage

Here's the log :

Start logging at: 2016-03-15 15:14:08.232
    [15:14:08.235] Info: Star::Root using bootstrap file 'E:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32\sbboot.config'
    [15:14:08.235] Info: Star::Root using storage directory 'E:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\giraffe_storage\'
    [15:14:08.235] Info: Preparing Star::Root...
    [15:14:08.236] Info: Loading Configuration with config file: 'starbound.config'
    [15:14:08.236] Info: Loading Star::Configuration from 'Just (.\..\giraffe_storage\starbound.config)'
    [15:14:08.247] Info: Writing Star::Configuration to '.\..\giraffe_storage\starbound.config'
    [15:14:08.260] Info: Initializing Star::Root with 2 assets sources
    [15:14:08.260] Info: Done preparing Star::Root.
    [15:14:08.261] Info: Client Version 'Beta v. Glad Giraffe - Update 3' Revision: 30555b17a491c2a97ab0afbff3b848a1fd937dbd Protocol: 711
    [15:14:08.261] Info: Initialized SDL
    [15:14:08.384] Info: Initialized SDL Video
    [15:14:08.561] Info: Initialized SDL Joystick
    [15:14:08.564] Info: Initialized SDL Sound
    [15:14:08.679] Info: Opened default audio device with 44khz / 16 bit stereo audio, 2048 sample size buffer
    [15:14:08.680] Info: Loading Assets
    [15:14:08.680] Info: Loading assets from: '../assets/packed.pak'
    [15:14:08.702] Info: Loading assets from: '../assets/user'
    [15:14:09.574] Info: Done loading Assets in 0.894 seconds
    [15:14:09.615] Info: Loading NameGenerator
    [15:14:09.773] Info: Initializing SDL Window
    [15:14:09.867] Info: Done loading NameGenerator in 0.252 seconds
    [15:14:09.867] Info: Loading ObjectDatabase
    [15:14:09.980] Error: Failed to initialize graphics mode: (GraphicsException) Could not create the Direct3d device: Creation call was invalid
    [15:14:09.980] Error: Setting fallback mode.
    [15:14:09.980] Info: Initializing SDL Window

9. Kezeal

Kezeal Ketchup Robot

Have you tried launching the OpenGL version?

EDIT:
    What windows are you using?
    Did you install Starbound through Steam?
    In Device Manager, under "Display Adapters", what do you have?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  10. CC10

CC10 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes, I tried the OpenGL version, it does not work because I don't have OpenGL 2.0

What windows ? Not to sound mean, but did you ever read the beginning of this thread ? Because if not, go read it, it will answer that question.

"In Device Manager, under "Display Adapters", what do you have?" I have Intel(R) Q33 Express Chipset Family.

11. Kezeal

Kezeal Ketchup Robot

I see you mentioned DirectX 11 in the first post. Starbound uses 9.0c. Try to manually install that to see if it works.

12. CC10

CC10 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Alright, I'll try that.

13. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

The necessary DirectX files should be installed by default. You can find the setup routine in your Starbound folder in "<your starbound path here>\_CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010".

I'm also curious about your video card you're using and which resolution you're on.
    For what i'm seeing on the screenshot you made i'd assume that your resolution is too low for starbound and that's why you get the error.

14. Kezeal

Kezeal Ketchup Robot

Intel(R) Q33 Express Chipset Family is what he's using.

15. Iris Blanche

That's embarassing...found it myself after reading the whole topic again...

Also found some details (correct me if i'm wrong): 400MHz and 256MB
    So you should be ok with the memory but i think the frequency is a bit too low (just an assumption can't confirm it)

As for now it's hard to say if you exceed the limit or if the error is somewhere else.

Small edit:

It seems that the chipset also supports up to OpenGL 1.4 only and up to DirectX 9.0 (dunno if they made differences between DirectX 9.0 and DirectX 9.0c in their description)

16. CC10

CC10 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I tried to install a older version of Direct X, but I don't know if it worked and still the same error showing up. What do I do now ?

17. Iris Blanche

It is possible that your graphic chipset is too old and/or doesn't fully support the functions Starbound need to run. So it can be a hardware restriction by your end.
    The starbound.log itself doesn't show any errors with your installation and all looks fine until the point where the rendering window should be created which can be hardware related (and i'm pretty sure that's the case)
    So if it is a hardware restriction there is nothing the devs can do about it because they would need to rewrite the whole engine to fit lower hardware requirements.
    As hard as it sounds but it looks like that your PC can't run Starbound due to hardware restrictions. :(
    The only solution i have for now is updating your specs by either buying a new pc or buying an appropriate video card. Second one is cheaper (dependent on which video card you choose)

But like i said before: it is ONLY an assumption. I'm not 100% sure about that. I can only say what i'm seeing dependent on your starbound.log, your error message and the specs of your chipset.

18. CC10

CC10 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You know it does make sense, but buying a new pc or video card just for playing a game seems kind of out disproportional. Not that I don't want to do it. I actually have been saving for a new Ubuntu laptop for a while, now (I don't really like Windows). I will just to make sure it has OpenGL 2.0 before buying it. Because you, know this hardware issue may really be trouble in the future. Minecraft is warning that OpenGL 2.0 will be required in the future, for example.

19. CC10

CC10 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Okay, is anybody else going to help or is the discussion over ? I saw some forum topic where people were having the same problem and it's never been solved ! Why is that ?

20. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

I think the main problem is that most of the people here simply don't know how to solve this (myself included).

You should try seeking out individuals here (or elsewhere, perhaps?) that are knowledgeable on this subject, because I don't think many individuals that can help you are going to see this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.