1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Fatal Exception caught: (GraphicsException) Could not create the Direct3d device: Creation call ...

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by CC10, Feb 28, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CC10

CC10 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey everybody ! This is CC10. I am trying to play Starbound on a desktop computer with Windows 7 Home Premium on it. It is 64-bit operating system, Processor : Intel(R) Pentium (R) Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz 2.20 GHz, and it has 5GB of CPU. It has DirectX11 installed on it. When I start the Starbound launcher and I click "Launch Starbound", it opens a window with a black background and titled "Starbound". One minute later, it crashes and the following message pops up : Fatal Exception caught: (GraphicsException) Could not create the Direct3d device: Creation call was invalid

Can someone help me ?

A picture showing the problem is displayed just below.

Starbound issue.png

2. CC10

CC10 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I know people are viewing this, so please respond.

3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Make sure your video drivers are up to date.

4. CC10

CC10 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I tried to update them once, very recently, but it did not work. I think it said the update was incompatible with my system.

5. CC10

CC10 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I read a bit about it on the Intel website (because I have Intel) and it said that if you have a "Intel inside" sticker on your computer (this is the case for me) you don't need drivers. So I guess that explains why I could update my drivers. So, what do I do now ?

6. CC10

CC10 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Okay, not to be mean, but I still have not been answered. If I can't play Starbound, I would like a refund.

7. CC10

CC10 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I am replying to my own topic so that it gets back up the list, because I am getting annoyed at nobody answering me. It been soon to be a month !

8. Akirion Valeirus

Akirion Valeirus Space Hobo

I just had this same thing happen to me earlier and was searching everywhere in order to find a solution. Then I thought about how it was graphics related and then that it was 3d related... So I thought that it might be how my graphics set up might be affecting it. I was right. I went into the program that allowed me to change my graphics 3d settings and made it to where my Anisotropic Filtering, Vertex Processing and Vertical Sync settings all say "Application Settings". Loaded the game up just fine and it didn't crash out with that stupid error. (I have Windows XP SP3 and and an Intel video card of some sort... So I was able to go to my Start Menu to Control Panel to Intel(R) GMA Driver and make changes there... It might be a little different for you though because you're on a different version of windows...) Good Luck!

CC10 likes this.
  9. CC10

CC10 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks, I'm gonna try that.

10. CC10

CC10 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what you did. Can you show me in screenshots or a video ?

11. Akirion Valeirus

Akirion Valeirus Space Hobo

Go to your ~Start Menu~ Start Menu.jpg ------> Then go to ~Control Panel~ Control Panel.jpg ------> Then open your ~Graphics Driver~ (Yours will probably be called something different.) Intel(R) GMA Driver.jpg ------> Go to the section for ~3D Settings~ (All the options there must be set to "Application Settings" or whatever is closest to that kind of option.) 3D Settings.jpg

12. lazarus78

Wherever you read that, never go back there again.

ALL hardware has drivers. No exceptions.

What is your GPU? You can find out by running "dxdiag" and going to the display tab.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DxDiag

13. CC10

CC10 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I did not find my GPU, but here's a screenshot of my display tab :
    [​IMG]

14. CC10

CC10 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I followed the instructions and pictures and found what you were talking about, however in the 3D settings, I only found one out of the four settings you were showing and it was already on "Application Control". Also, I could not set the other settings on "Application Control".

15. lazarus78

16. CC10

CC10 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

17. lazarus78

Use whichever is supported for your system. 32bit or 64bit.

18. CC10

CC10 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Okay, I'm gonna try that. I'll reply after I tried.

19. CC10

CC10 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I tried 64bit which is what my system is, I went trough the installation process and restarted my computer when it asked me to. However, I don't know if it actually installed, and when I try to start starbound it shows the same error.

20. CC10

CC10 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm back from vacation ! No responses !? Let's put this back up !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.