1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Fatal Error: Access Violation Detected with Win64 Version

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Cake_Commander, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Cake_Commander

Cake_Commander Void-Bound Voyager

My friend asked me to download Starbound for him on my computer, and he bought a .zip file with the game. I unpacked it and opened up Win64. However, upon trying to run the program labeled "starbound" with a penguin icon next to it, an error appeared saying that there was an access violation. The game proceeded to shut down. I also tried to run the game as an administrator but got the same results. I then tried to tun the same program in the Win32 file. I looked to the internet for help, but the only results I got were either how to download the "free version" or how to fix the error when trying to launch the game via Steam. I have steam, but the version of Starbound that my friend sent to me was not a keycode or something like that, it was just a download file. I think I may be trying to launch the wrong file, but I'm afraid to just start launching everything I see like Trump and his "big red button" because I might mess something up. Besides, none of the applications seem to be versions of Starbound. I also included a screenshot of the error in which you can see the file directory.

Attached Files:

2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

There should be a storage folder in the parent folder containing a starbound.log file. Please attach it.

3. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

It appears you have extensions disabled. the above file will simply be "starbound" with type LOG or type Text Document (type column)

4. Cake_Commander

Iris Blanche, I have included the log file in this post.

Do you have any idea why the alert continues to appear even though I tried all of the solutions that I found online?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2018
  5. Iris Blanche

Please avoid doubleposing. Also is this version a legitimate copy from humble/gog?

6. Cake_Commander

Sorry about the doubleposing. I believe it is as according to the Properties tab, it is copyrighted by Chucklefish LTD.

7. Iris Blanche

What are your overall specs?

8. Cake_Commander

I'm sorry, but where could I find those?

9. Iris Blanche

The hardware which is in your pc. Dunno atm where to get these information under ubuntu but there should be some system information thingy somewhere.
    I need the CPU, how much RAM and which video card.

10. Cake_Commander

I've been searching for a while now, but I could only find that I have 16 gigs of RAM and a Windows laptop.

11. Iris Blanche

Oh yea right windows. Sorry i have mistaken some information from another topic with this one here. :nurunaughty:

According to the screenshot i assume its win 10. Right click on the start menu and select system. A new window opens and under device specifications there is the information listed about the Processor.
    Your video card can be located under display -> advanced display settings. There it should show your monitor and then "Display 1: connected to " and then your video card name.

12. Cake_Commander

My processor is the "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz. My video card is the "Intel(R) HD Graphics 530".

13. Iris Blanche

The problem could be the integrated intel hd graphics here interfering with the GeForce GTX 960M. Open the nvidia control panel and make sure starbound is completly set to use the gtx instead of the 960M.

Can you reproduce this error with the win32 executable and provide the log? Somehow the win32 executable tends to provide more information in some cases so it might be worth a try in your case.

14. Cake_Commander

I got a different error for the Win32 executable. I have included a screenshot in this post.

I was actually unable to find a separate log than the one I posted earlier today.

Attached Files:

15. Iris Blanche

The log is always created new so the contents of the file is different. Please provide it too.

16. Cake_Commander

Here is the log.

Attached Files:

17. Iris Blanche

This is very strange. Your specs should be sufficient to run Starbound but somehow your system fails to allocate enough heap memory. Unfortunately this can have a lot of different reasons.
    Interesting enough that both crashes are logged at the time when the objects are loaded from the assets. Maybe your assets got corrupted when downloading.
    The next step should be detecting the supported opengl texture size. Maybe your system fails in that step. Maybe a nvidia driver update could fix that.

18. Cake_Commander

Okay, thank you for the advice! Do you know of some kind of online guide or tutorial that I can use to help me with these things?

19. Cake_Commander

Thanks for the help, I finally figured out how to properly update my Nvidia driver and I can let my friend play Starbound!