WIP Farm House Exterior Replacement/Retexture

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by zcsnightmare, Apr 14, 2016.

1. zcsnightmare

zcsnightmare Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[​IMG]

Alllllllriiight! I think I'm finally done with getting the house the way I want it! ^.^ (Shadows just look a little funky on the background on this site, they're fine in-game)

So, I completely redesigned the older versions of the house I made, but I somewhat kept similar to its design. The door wasn't correctly positioned on the older versions and it was annoying the heck out of me.
    [​IMG]
    What's new?
    -
    Door correctly positioned
    -More shading, Stardew style, for it to blend in better with the game.
    -Different style windows to make it not look so copy & pasted from the others xD
    -More detail on the wooden patio/porch/deck (whatever you fancy calling it)
    -Tossed some of my retextured tools on the side of the first house, instead of a carport.
    -Some more purty flowers :3
    -An got sum fancy-ole purty cur-tons in dat dem dur winders. I reckon dey lewk a'wright
    -Five recolor options, I may add a few more. If you have something in mind, lemme know.

taintedwheat made some great recolors!
    Included in pack (in folder taintedwheat's recolors)

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

DOWNLOAD (mediafire)
    DOWNLOAD (Nexus)

Installation
    -Download zip pack
    -Pick the color house you want, via folder
    -Open folder, transfer houses.xnb into your \Stardew Valley\Content\Buildings folder
    -Overwrite and you're good to go!

*Backup of vanilla houses.xnb is included in corresponding labeled folder within zip file ^.^

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update - Finished the houses

A zip pack sporting a few different color houses, all tiers retextured. Special thanks to Vixxi for the sound advice on recoloring. Made it much easier ^.^ I'll probably add some more colored versions in the near future.

Dark Blue houses
    [​IMG]
    Barn-like houses
    [​IMG]
    Dark Greenish House
    [​IMG]
    Cutesy lil purplish pink houses
    [​IMG]
    Much simpler shading for white and black houses
    [​IMG]

Tossed the whole pack on mediafire if anyone likes them
    Download

Figured our gramps couldn't have been that horrible at farming so he left a decent little house that's not all in shambles.

Haven't gotten efficient recoloring down yet on Gimp, still need to look up some tutorials. So far, it seems a bit tedious from the few I looked up. Maybe some easier ways out there *fingers crossed* Any tips would be highly appreciated. Would like to offer a variety of different colors.

Anywho
    [​IMG]

If ya likes et, here's da Download (mediafire) - As usual, I included a backup

(First Attempt)
    So, I got a little bored of what I had been working on and decided to try my hand at an exterior house replacement. This is my first attempt and I used some pre-existing tilesets (mainly from rpgmaker, kudos to them for the extreme amount of content out there) that I modified/retextured/recolored/frankenstein'd/etc. Windows, doors, lamps, window frames, posts, and gutters I completely handmade.

As you can see, my house is...ON FIRE! Ohgodohgodohgod! Somebody do something! No public services in this town! Anarchy! ...maybe I should add a chimney.

Anyway, that's the last upgrade and am going to get to work on dismantling a few sections for the first two upgrades. Hopefully, I'll be done by this weekend so I can play around with other buildings.

Any helpful suggestions/improvements?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
      Bepsi, Rosalie, lannihamm and 5 others like this.
    • SasuraUchiha

SasuraUchiha Cosmic Narwhal

Oh, this House is really pretty! I think I'll use a selfmade recolor of this for my second playthrough. (I'm not a big fan of black and white houses... I need a little more color)
      But I can't wait to the other two! <3

zcsnightmare likes this.
      • zcsnightmare

Thanks ^.^

Yeah, white and black is pretty basic. Once I get the other two tiers done, I'll play with some color schemes. Still need to play with those tools to better learn easier recoloring.

• zcsnightmare

Finished em up

• Cytona

Cytona Void-Bound Voyager

i agree more colors would be nice, and the windows i think need a bit touch up, too many squares imo, i like the flowers detail though.
            just some opinions ;)

zcsnightmare likes this.
            • zcsnightmare

I was going for a lattice look on the windows, kind of a country farmhouse look down here in the southern states. I'll be working on some recolors this weekend ^.^

taintedwheat likes this.
              • SasuraUchiha

Ooh, those are super lovely!

• Vixxi

Vixxi Aquatic Astronaut

This house is GORGEOUS!

Oh, I use GIMP! Quite a lot in fact. I'm no expert, but as far as recoloring, I use the color select too, say you want to change the black to I dunno, red. You'd use the color select and while holding "shift" to "add" more colors to the selection. With all the selected black tones, you can now go to "color" in the top left menu and click "colorize" This will change the color (be sure to have preview ticked) And from there after you click okay on the color, you can go ahead and click the "color" menu again and mess with "hue/saturation" for color tweaks and increasing saturation and/or brightness and contrast to make it darker or make the colors pop

Alternatively, instead of using "colorize" and other menus, you can select all the black tones as in the first step colorize until it is a grey tone and then grab a color from the wheel, select opacity and increase size of brush to quickly color a more direct tone rather than having to mess with the sliders.

Like I said, I'm no expert, but I use these two techniques to recolor things quickly rather than pixel by pixel.
                  Also, after you've colored the part you picked with a new color, you can click "ctrl x" to Cut the new colored part, then "ctrl z" till you were back to before you colored and then paste the new color in a new layer. This way it's easy to keep track of each of the colors.

Apologies if my instructions were confusing. I'm not the best at explaining things through text.
                  Alternatively, if my instructions are confusing, I'd be more than happy to do the recoloring for you and you can give me the color RGB numbers or something.

zcsnightmare likes this.
                  • zcsnightmare

Very much appreciated ^.^

Your instructions are great, not confusing in the least. I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl later, see if I can't get it down. Thanks so so very much!

• Vixxi

Vixxi Aquatic Astronaut

You are very welcome! Good luck! Looking forward to the re-colors!

zcsnightmare likes this.
                      • zcsnightmare

Thanks a mil, Vixxi.

I went ahead and completely recolored one, that I'm using as a template with colors that can't match, to eliminate the extensive shading on the original I made (posted above). Had used a brush to darken those areas, but it had created so many different hues of the same color and if I increased the threshold to include them (for colorizing), it would grab pixels I didn't want it to. Lol.

Went with a simple shading and recoloring is SO much easier now. ^.^ Made some alternative colors. Going to play around with the other color tools, see what else I can come up with.

Dark Blue houses
                        [​IMG]
                        Barn-like houses
                        [​IMG]
                        Dark Greenish House
                        [​IMG]
                        Cutesy lil purplish pink houses
                        [​IMG]
                        Much simpler shading for white and black houses
                        [​IMG]

Tossed the whole pack on mediafire if anyone likes them
                        Download

Vixxi likes this.
                        • SasuraUchiha

omg, I love that purple/pink house! But since I'm already playing with my own house on my cute playthrough, I think I will use the red one for my second one ^^

zcsnightmare likes this.
                          • zcsnightmare

Updated :D

I think I'm finally done and can rest easy. Had to redesign it, start all over except with the foundation, to get the door right. All the info on the OP ^.^

taintedwheat likes this.
                            • taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

Man, you're pretty sick, I love all your focus to do all the retextures you do! my only critique is that [and ive noticed this for a lot of the player-created content] is that the saturation/brightness is a lot more noticable than the vanilla houses. If you want I can tweak with the concentration for your textures via selective coloring?

zcsnightmare likes this.
                              • zcsnightmare

Sure, if that's something you'd like to do. So, they're a bit too bright or too dull? I'll need to play around a bit more with those settings/colors sometime soon to get it down right.

• taintedwheat

Bright, haha, no dull there man :3

Colors are like a weird own separate thing. It could he that the color settings default is set different in gimp?

• SpringsSong

SpringsSong Cosmic Narwhal

• taintedwheat

Hmmm...It shouldn't do that, that's so weird, because the houses are set on a transparent background. Are you using a map mod?

• zcsnightmare

Not sure, but I do change through a large palette to pick colors. Hm, I bet there are many other palettes out there I could download so they aren't so tiny.

• zcsnightmare

Ack, I totally forgot that it did that, which was why I tossed a back wall on the carport of the older version house. Thanks for pointing that out.