RELEASED Farm Expansion 3.3

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Advize, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Advize

Advize Cosmic Narwhal

Dynamic tile changes and the extra map edits took far longer than expected, but a lot of progress has been made. This path is added to the default farm via code which makes it compatible with other mods should they edit the farm.
    [​IMG]

This new path leads to where the black tile with the red downward arrow is on the extension. Conversely, this black tile also indicates the area that then sends you back to the farm (you don't need to traverse this long canyon). **Note: There is 1 or 2 odd tile issues shown in this screenshot, they have already been corrected**
    [​IMG]

Crops are now watered when it rains, all that is left to do is sort out tree/grass growth and debris generation/spread. Once I've done this in Storm (the harder API) I can quickly port to SMAPI and release the updates. I'm debating whether or not to allow crows to destroy your crops in this new extension. I'll likely create a config file for this for people who would prefer the option.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
      Superior_s likes this.
    • Advize

Advize Cosmic Narwhal

Updated for SMAPI 0.39.2.

BoffoBoy and Superior_s like this.
      • Advize

Advize Cosmic Narwhal

1.3 update out. You can once again enter the farm extension while on your horse, and a rewrite to the dynamic tile modification allows for greater compatibility with other mods.
        (One thing of note is that this mod is now fully compatible with KingJoey's Bigger Farm mod)

• Norfuer

Norfuer Orbital Explorer

Heyyy, the horse can go through now! Yayyy! :D

• Yunix

Yunix Big Damn Hero

Love this mod, but few Questions are there:

1. Can you build Barns and Coop and such on it?
            2. Is it working with the "All Crops All Season Mod"?
            3. If i have plant and such on it, and remove the mod, does it kill my save?

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

1) Not at this moment because SMAPI isnt capable of letting you change the carpenter yet
              2) Probably not, since that mod makes the farm be treated like the greenhouse, and this is a seperate map
              3) The data should just remain in your save, the contents just wont be accessible, so before removing the mod take anything you want to keep out of the extension.

Yunix likes this.
              • Advize

Advize Cosmic Narwhal

This guy gets it.

On question 1, however, I am working on a solution. There are other approaches that can be taken without having to go to the carpenter. Implement my own solution, add a new npc that can do it, etc. My main problem is that in order to support farm animals and buildings I need to figure out how to stop the game engine from attempting to store the new information in the save file (as it will fail when the player goes to sleep at night).

Yunix likes this.
                • cantorsdust

cantorsdust Existential Complex

Regarding 2: When you leave a location, All Crops All Seasons first checks to see if that location is named "Farm". If it is, then it saves all tiles of hoed dirt on it, and restores it overnight after winter has killed all the crops. If the new location is also named "Farm", it will save your crops there so long as you enter and leave that location every day. If the location is not named "Farm", it won't.

I assume the new location's name is not Farm, and that All Crops All Seasons won't work on it. I would have to build in support for the new location. I might revisit that in an update in the future. I would recommend that the new location not be renamed to Farm in an attempt to provide compatibility, by the way. That would break saving crops on the actual farm.

I'm going to have to build in support for all locations in a future ACAS update.

• Advize

Advize Cosmic Narwhal

Hey cantorsdust, thanks for dropping by with that clarification. I have a few ideas on various methods of increasing compatibility with other mods and locations if you wanted to, I'm sure you have a few of your own already though. Might hit you up on irc later if you've got a moment.

• Don Leo

Don Leo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Trees won't spread their own seedlings right?

I was under the impression that at first they did but I cleared the entire area and planted new trees but they're not spreading themselves.

On the one hand it makes treefarms more involved because you have to plant them yourself. On the other hand it allows for prettier treefarms :3

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

No, the expansion doesnt allow for trees to spread by themselves, although I personally would love if they did, so I can plant some, ignore it for a season, and come back to chop just the grown ones! :rofl:

• OrSpeeder

OrSpeeder Phantasmal Quasar

Do you add your new locations to Game1.locations?

I edited my sprinkler mod to loop through all Game1.locations so people can use it with this mod, but I am not sure it will work because of this... If not, how you control the locations?

EDIT:

Can I make stuff for your mod? I wanted to figure a balanced way to add locations (ie: "physical space" is also a resource, for example one reason some people considered my mentioned sprinkler mod cheaty is that it allows you to do more with less space).

Also wanted to add more locations toward the same side of the farm, but still looking realistic. (ie: no overlapping stuff).

And, I really want to see if I can figure how to create a random dungeon =D the game has the tiles, partial code for that, and the art is very pretty, it would be really cool, and I also thought of putting it on that side too, maybe connect it with the secret forest.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
                          • Advize

Advize Cosmic Narwhal

Yes, my mod appends the location to the end of the Game1.locations array. If your sprinklers are looping through each index in the array, it should work with this new location.

I'm not sure what you mean by "make stuff for your mod", but the source is available and I could provide the entire source project if you wanted. Do whatever you want, make whatever you want.

• Tassii

Tassii Cosmic Narwhal

humm not sure I did it right then...am I to have 2 extra locations (farms) the one we can build on and the one we cant?

• Advize

Advize Cosmic Narwhal

Correct. This mod adds a new location that allows you to plant crops and trees and is accessible from the original farm.

• Tassii

Tassii Cosmic Narwhal

ok so I dont have to remove the first added on farm cool...and second is just for planting and trees...sounds good to me thanks

• Advize

Advize Cosmic Narwhal

I have a huge update in the works. Sadly, the biggest part is a secret which I don't intend to reveal until it's ready.
                                    • I've once again rewritten the tile editing process, performance gains + it now works flawlessly anywhere and can create new tiles, massively increasing compatibility with other mods once again
                                    • Some people have mentioned that tree seeds do not spawn in the farm expansion. This was by design because those were annoying af, but I will be adding functionality for it with an option in the config file (on by default).
                                    • Crows spawning in the expansion are off by default, but also can be enabled through the config file (WARNING: Have not tested this, use at your own risk).

Superior_s and zyymurgy like this.
                                    • Advize

Advize Cosmic Narwhal

On something unrelated (not the secret), I'm making progress on adding farm building/animal support
                                      [​IMG]
                                      [​IMG]

Superior_s, Norfuer and Jinxiewinxie like this.
                                      • taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

I love it. Right now im just using it for wood and stone resources. But can i make a suggestion? Could you put like a emphasized marker on the screenshot to where the farm is? Idk its nothing major its that the trees and stuff around it (by the time people dl this they would have that cleared away /use that farm mod to remove the lake) take emphasis away from where your character is supposed to go when trying to get to the extension. I mean, yeah, click and make the photo bigger...but it still would be nice for those who have trouble breaking up color/bad eye sight.

• Don Leo

Don Leo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Cool, the ability to add buildings would solve the watering problem, as in, I have to go all the way back to my farm to fill my bucket