Other [FanFic] Rose & Sunflower: The Music Within (Updates MWF) -Ch 64/64 [30 September] -COMPLETE-

Discussion in 'Fan Works' started by Risukage, May 7, 2016.

1. Gabaw

Gabaw Spaceman Spiff

well since you're a fan of tree puns I must say that this chap was quite... sappy! :rofl: Where to go from here? They got friends waiting and another show coming up and who knows what else is in store.

• Risukage

Risukage Giant Laser Beams

//Only one more day left following this bit of action before we head back into town and the last two arcs of this story. Yeah, that's right, there are only two more bit of plot that I wanna take care of before I can call this finished and be satisfied with it. However, it's not completely done, as this will take another month or two to wrap up, and I've been putting down ideas for a sequel which may not be not too shabby. Once I can get a couple of chapters written out I'll see if it's a viable idea or not. :)//

The stage had been mostly cleared or packed up, and their gear was neatly stacked by the back door; they didn’t want to load it in the truck until they were ready to leave. The drum set, mic stands, and some other bits of equipment belonged to the pub, which they left in place. Elliott and Lys assisted with moving the last of the gear backstage while Marcus and Jen secured the audio equipment in its storage room. Haley was nearly giddy as she reviewed some of the video footage, carefully disassembling and putting it away before offering the cases to Elliott and Lys, who were doing one last sweep for anything they might have missed.

“I’ll go put this with our outfits so it ends up in Emily’s car,” Lys offered, “you go snag a spot at the table with Alex.”

“Thanks, sweetie, you all were great tonight.” She kissed him on the cheek and sashayed over to the table in question, draping her arms around Alex’s neck in a hug from behind. Lys stacked the cases neatly next to the rack with their outfits, and Emily nodded with satisfaction, having just done inventory and found it to be all in order.

“Oh man, this was great. Those costumes looked so good up there in the light like that, you all stood right out and looked so classy. And people were taking my business cards once they knew that I designed them. This is so exciting!”

“Really? So what happens when you finally make it big? Going to expand your operations at your home or do you think you’ll open a shop here in the city?” Lys teased with a smile.

“I know you’re being goofy, but honestly, I’m not sure. I mean, it was just people taking the cards, that doesn’t mean much yet. I’m still going to dream, though!” She hugged him and went back up front to join the others, leaving Lys to stare around alone for a moment, enjoying old memories and mentally adding new ones to the file.

“You seem happily lost in thought, dear.”

“It’s been so long since I had been on stage in any form, and this… It was better than I could have ever imagined. Doing theater was fun, and I loved telling a story like that, and I’ve got great memories of playing here with dad’s group, but none of those compare to tonight. This was our night, and it was our material. Sam, Abby, and Sebastian created something wonderful, and you and I helped give them the hand that they needed to pull themselves up. I’ve finally found that feeling that I’ve ached to have again. Heh, I could die happy right now, I suppose.” He saw Elliott’s face and felt a cold stab of regret at his words. “Love, not like that! I…”

“I think I understand the context in which those words were spoken, yet their existence is disturbing. There is still a lingering pain in your mind, though most of it has been excised. I am glad to see that you are healing and finding your fire again, but I will not hide my concern.”

“Thanks, and I understand. Just remember that you gave me something to live and fight for, I won’t throw it away. I gave you armor, you’ve given me a sword. Together we’re unbeatable. Now let’s go mingle, I’m totally itching for a beer now.” Elliott’s expression softened with relief as Lys took his hand and led him to where both bands had occupied a couple of tables clustered near each other. Lys dropped into a chair across from Lynn, and Elliott did the same with Arthur, who poured them their first drink, and stood, holding his own glass.

“Now that we’re all here, a toast to The Elements of Sound, for a successful opening night, and to many more in the future. Congratulations, all, you’ve made the biggest and hardest step of your careers.” This was met with loud and enthusiastic acclaim, and the conversation began to flow, clustered in small pockets. Sam prodded Marcus, who was seated between him and Alex.

“Hey, dude, Lys said that you guys have your own band, too, and he’d play bass with you. Seriously?”

“Correct,” replied the audio engineer after a long drink, “not all the time, but it was always fun for him to sit in because it meant that one of us could swap over to something else for a little while.”

“He never said what the name was, though, just ‘dad’s band.’”

“We’re kinda small-time, so you wouldn’t have heard of us. We’re ‘Strings and Things,’ and usually do mostly covers of songs with just stringed instruments. Now and then we do a bit of jazz to mix things up. We usually play on nights when some place needs ‘filler,’ or for small festivals and events. Just some friends and professionals getting together to have some fun.”

Sebastian, meanwhile, was checking something on his phone, and he put down his beer mid-sip as he noticed something.

“Damn, we’re already getting hits on our site, and it looks like we’ve got a couple of emails as well. I don’t think we’ll have a problem with server costs this month, but still, dang, that’s a lot more traffic than I was expecting. Nice job on the design, Abby, this looks really good.”

“Well, I made it pretty, you made it work, Sebby,” she replied, already halfway through her glass, “I still can’t believe you hand-coded everything instead of using a template, and you got both a desktop site and a mobile version.”

“If I’m doing something I’m doing it right. I’m a software engineer, not a web dev, but it was a fun challenge. Though I’m not looking forward to the prospect of forums. We can let some other place host and support it, but the prospect of being a moderator makes me itch.”

“We could put Sam on troll patrol.”

“Right, because the best way to deal with a house fire is to spray it with gasoline.”

Lynn and Lys were already on their second glass and chatted back and forth animatedly, when she remembered something.

“Oh! Alex, sweetie, Lysander told me that you’re taking college courses. How’s that going for you?”

“Pretty good, Mrs.- Err, Aunt Lynn, I just had finals and passed all of my courses. I was talking to Marcus about some other courses I can take, and I’m waiting to hear back from the gridball recruiters I talked to the last time I was in the city. I’m going to see if I can get started at the collegiate level.” Lynn giggled at the news and applauded. Arthur smiled and shook his head.

“I’m glad to see you’re doing well, Alex. I admit that when your parents got together a lot of us were pretty worried for your mother, and didn’t think that your father was a very nice man. Hell, when we first met he said something that I didn’t like at all and I put him on the ground for it. He split my lip but I still walked away better than he did.” Lys and Alex shared a grin, earning a look of curiosity from the senior von Morgensonne.

“It seems to run in the family,” Lys snickered, “Alex said something that I took offense to in our first conversation, and I took a swing at him. Though he got the better of me, ‘cause I knocked him down, but he damn near knocked me out.” Arthur sighed in amusement and shook his head again while Lynn had a hearty laugh.

“Yeah, sorry about that, I hit harder than I should have.”

“S’okay, mate, I started it, you were well within your rights to finish it. Hell, I was giving you shit the entire time I danced around you, so I’m not the least bit surprised that when you had the opportunity you tried to punch a new hole in my face. On the upside I got the chance to nap on my future boyfriend for a while, so it worked out.”

“Well, I’m glad that you weren’t hurt badly,” Lynn remarked, two-thirds of the way through her second glass, “but I wish you’d pick your fights a bit better. Though speaking of safety, you and Elliott are using protection, aren’t you?” Elliott choked on his drink as Lys sighed deeply and rolled his eyes. His friends lost track of their own conversations and listened with morbid fascination, Sam already giggling at their dialogue, and Arthur refilled his own glass without comment.

“Of course I am, and we’re monogamous now, so it’s no big deal.”

“That doesn’t mean a damn thing until you put a ring on it and you know it, young man. I don’t have to worry about unexpected grandchildren but that’s no excuse not to be careful.”

“Ugh, I’m not stupid, I always wrap it before I tap it. And yes, I’m getting checked up at the clinic in town.”

“Good. You better be, too,” she said, now addressing Elliott, who swiftly went from red to pale, “I don’t need to give Liz another reason to crawl sideways up my ass. She’s already prickly about this current project as it is.”

“Chill, mom,” Lys sighed, draining his glass and reaching for the pitcher, “I’m the only guy he’s ever shagged so there’s nothing to worry about.” Elliott hid his face in his hands, and Arthur patted him on the shoulder.

“Like I said, welcome to the family. She has fewer filters after she’s had a couple of drinks, but she always means well.”

“I wouldn’t give you grief about something if I didn’t care,” Lynn confirmed, smiling at him fondly, “and if you’re anything like your parents then we’ll get along splendidly.”

“As I recall you appear to be fond of pranking my mother and pushing her buttons on a whim.”

“If she can’t take it then she has no business being in show business. I help keep her sharp.”

“In only one evening I have already learned so much about Lysander and the source of his personality and mannerisms,” he muttered, massaging his temples.

“I’ll make it up to you later tonight, love,” Lys reassured, and shot his mom a look, which made her giggle into what was left of her drink, “and yes, I’m going to wait until I get home. Even though I do know all of the places around here to sneak off for a bit.”

By now, Sam was completely in tears, and he slumped over and slid gracelessly off of his chair to curl up under the table and wheeze in between gasping laughter. Unperturbed, Lys leaned over, sipping his drink as he checked on his friend.

“You okay, mate?”

“Can’t...breathe…”

“Well Alex is the one that knows rescue breathing, so if you pass out you’re his problem.”

“Unless he’s drowning, no, he isn’t.”

“Do his own tears count?”

Alkanthe and Gabaw like this.
      • Gabaw

Gabaw Spaceman Spiff

If I was elliott in that scenario i'd stuff myself under the chair like some sort of ceiling sloth thing and then bounce away using the chair legs in lieu of my own legs. Lys and Lynn together are just terrible to the poor man :rofl:

Alkanthe and Risukage like this.
        • Risukage

//Just a last bit of relationship-building and dialogue to close off some loose ends before we head back into town on Friday. Also because I wanted to write about a few things and do a bit of descriptive exposition, which I don't think I do nearly often enough. Really looking forward to next week, I've got some surprises in store. In the meantime, let's head home.//

After a few rounds they all called it a night and helped clear and put up the glasses and chairs while they made sure that they were all safe to drive home. The gear was swiftly loaded into vehicles, and after securing the last of the load, Alex hopped down from the bed of his truck. Lys stretched and looked up at the sky, thinking.

“Hey, Alex, you mind hanging around a bit or taking the slow route home? It’s nice out and I wanna stop off somewhere first, also have a nice ride home.”

“Take your time, I’ll be able to get this. Gimmie the center keys, I’ll just put everything inside the door and call it a night. We’ll get it all set back up later, and there’s not much of it anyway.”

“You’re sure?”

“Yeah. Like you said, it’s a nice night out, and I’m not a rider, but I can see how you’d like to take your time getting home. Just be safe, okay?”

“Always am. Thanks.” They shared a fistbump as the keys traded ownership, and Lys hugged Sam and Haley, who were riding in the truck, as Emily’s car was full with the outfits and Haley’s gear. He also offered a hug to Emily, who was leaving as well. Sebastian was putting on his riding gloves while Abigail zipped up a loaner riding jacket.

“You’re heading to that place we went when you got Morgenlied?” he asked, checking the fit of his leather jacket.

“Yeah, not a problem, is it? I mean, it’s kinda your spot.” “Nah,” he grinned, reaching for his helmet, “it just means that we’ll have to message each other before we go up so we don’t interrupt anything.” Laughing, Lys offered Sebastian a hug as well, who sighed and accepted it, rolling his eyes, earning a giggle from Abigail, who pounced Lys from behind.

“G’nite, cutie, you sang so well tonight. Don’t stay out too late making out with Elliott.”

“Don’t you keep Sebastian up with the same, then, he sleeps in late enough as it is.” As the rest of the band left for home, Lys went back inside to put on his riding gear. Elliott was already dressed, snugging his gloves on, and Lys couldn’t help shooting him a look of approval which was noticed and appreciated.

“Well, you both certainly make that look dashing,” Lynn commented, putting on her coat and picking up her purse, “and I’m pleased to see that you’re both using more than one type of protection.” She grinned in the same manner that her son did at Elliott’s expression.

“So I take it dad is driving home tonight?” She giggled and put her fists on her hips as Lys buttoned and zipped everything together.

“He is, but that’s ‘cause we took his car. I’m honestly happy for you, sweetie. For you both. We’ve known Liz and Phil for years, and she’s actually been in a better mood than I’ve seen her in ages. Not that she’s a grump or anything, but something about her overall attitude has changed a bit. Oh! That reminds me…” Rummaging for a moment in her purse, she pulled out a hardcover book. “Would it be gauche of me to ask for authors’ autographs?”

“Dangit, I was hoping to surprise you with a copy,” Lys replied, rubbing the back of his neck. Lynn produced a high-quality pen and offered it and the book first to Elliott.

“I also notice that you used our name.”

“It is...a long story. We had not quite meant for it to imply…”

“Well, it’s nice to know whose name you’ll be keeping. And ‘Elliott von Morgensonne’ sounds rather nice, I think.” Elliott dropped both the book and the pen, fortunately having finished writing, and Lys caught both before they hit the floor.

“Ah! That wasn’t the intention, Mrs. von-”

Lynn, sweetie. And I’m only partially giving you sass, it really does sound nice. Regardless, though, we support whatever decisions you two make, whenever you make them.”

“Thanks, mom, but we’re not rushing into anything," Lys remarked, signing as well, "I mean, we haven’t even known each other a full year yet. This isn’t some kind of terrible romance novel or fairy tale.”

“Good. If you were talking about marriage this soon I’d be concerned. Dating and getting to know each other is important.” Arthur zipped up his coat and pulled the car keys from a pocket, nodding in assent.

“Just keep in touch a bit better from now okay? We do worry about you, Pick. We’ve done our best to give you the space you need, and after what you’ve been through we understand, but at this point you’ve got no excuse.”

“I will, and sorry about the distance and silence. Regardless of my reasons it was still rude of me. I should have at least told you guys something.” Lynn smiled warmly, brushing an errant lock of hair out of his face.

“It’s okay, sweetie. That’s all done and over with. Time to move on and make a change for the better.” Grabbing their helmets, Lys and Elliott led the way out to the parking lot that was now very nearly empty. Arthur hugged his son, patting him on the back, offering Elliott the same.

“Great to finally have met you, Elliott. Thanks for being there for him where we couldn’t.” To Elliott’s surprise, instead of a handshake or a hug, Lynn took his face in both hands and kissed him on the forehead, something that Lys didn’t expect, either.

“Take care of him.” His surprise changed to gratitude.

“I shall continue to do so, to the best of my abilities.” Lys watched his parents get in the car and drive off as he put on his helmet and raised the visor.

“Well, hop on, love, I’ve got some place I wanna show you before we head home. If you’re still up for anything, that is.” “It has been a long day but I am not yet fatigued. And I am curious to see what it is that you have in mind.” Lys swung a leg over Morgenlied and turned over the engine, waiting for Elliott to get in position behind him. Feeling his partner’s arms around his waist, Lys smiled and closed his visor, taking the bike off of its kickstand and riding out into the cool fall night.

Their path led them back onto the highway for a bit, until Lys turned off onto a frontage road and followed it, riding sedately but swiftly. The only lights were the intermittent flicker of headlights from the highway nearby and the near-full moon overhead, illuminating the landscape with a clear, white brightness. The wind rushed past them, racing them, whistling as though laughing in delight at having a companion. Sound and sensation blended into one, as the song of the engine twined with the hum that it sent through its riders, who rode with it, not on it. Though his jacket was zipped and the high collar closed, errant wisps of wind would occasionally sneak down his neck, like the caress of icy fingers. It was an interesting contrast to the solid warmth that he felt from Elliott, who held on with relaxed confidence, and Lys could feel him shifting slightly as he looked around, taking in his surroundings without concern.

What have I done to earn this level of trust and unwavering confidence? I feel no fear or hesitation in his grip, only contentment. But then, I suppose that he could ask the same of me, and we would both answer the same: “because you’ve never given me a reason not to.”

The road led them uphill now, and Lys felt reassured that he remembered where he and Sebastian had gone last time. Finally at the vista, Lys parked and turned off the engine. Elliott dismounted and removed his helmet and gloves, placing them on Morgenlied, same as Lys. He ran a hand through his hair and paused, now noticing the view, and Lys smothered a chuckle.

“It’s a heck of a sight, isn’t it? This is where Sebastian and I went after I picked up the bike.”

“Ah, so this is the place where you nearly made out with him?” Lys groaned and put his face in his hands, and Elliott laughed and put a gentle hand in the small of his back.

“I am only teasing, dear, I believe that I am allowed a bit of that tonight after having your mother inflicted upon me all evening.”

“It’s okay, besides, I still feel stupid about it, sorry love.”

“What? Why? You didn’t mean to do it on purpose and you wouldn’t do it again.”

“I… That’s the problem. Given the chance, if he ever offered, I’d be hard-pressed not to take him up on the offer. It’s not like he ever would, so that’s not a question, but if anyone at all ever did, I mean... Damn it, damn me. I love you, so much it hurts, but I still have these urges, and I… I just feel like such a total asshole for it. I’m trying to hold myself back so much, and I’m terrified that I’m going to act on those urges and do something dumb that’s going to hurt you and-”

“Stop. Dear, look at me.” He brushed Lys’s cheek with the back of his fingers, stern but gentle. “You are a man of passion and emotion. You act without thinking, trusting in your instincts, and your first thoughts are always of others. I almost never see you do anything unless it benefits someone else as well. If someone were to make you an offer I know that you would consider it but likely not follow up on it. If you do? Well, that is something that can be discussed should it arise, just as we did the other night. I will not worry about something unlikely to happen. And do not let our relationship prevent you from sharing your fire and love with your friends. I am not given to jealousy or irrational fits of speculation. If I am to be annoyed it is because I wish that you were a little bit more selfish.”

“...Thanks, love. But… I feel selfish all the time, though. Like, mom’s the third person who’s insinuated that we’d get married eventually, and I know that she was just teasing, but it’s still something that scares me. It’s a stupid fear, but… I’m worried about disappointing you or something bad happening or... At least dating like this gives you a way out if I screw up, and that’s almost worse because it gives me the option to run away and I hate that, I hate myself-”

Stop. You are causing yourself needless anguish. It is an idea that I view with trepidation as well, and likely for similar reasons. However, it is something that I will save for later consideration, as I am enjoying the time we have together now. I am learning more and more about you, about the person I want to spend the rest of my life with. As I have already stated, it is the journey that I desire, not the destination. I want to take this slowly and learn all that I can about you before we dive into anything permanent. Things like…” His eyes unfocused a bit as he thought about something. “For instance, I have never asked when your birthday was, and I do not recall you mentioning it.”

“Yeah, I never did.”

“When-”

“Already passed,” Lys smiled, giggling and hugging Elliott, “it was a couple of weeks before the jellyfish migration.”

“Why didn’t you say anything? We could have done something nice for you. All of us.” Lys rested his head on his partner’s shoulder, staring idly out at sparkling city lights in the distance.

“That’s kinda the reason why. I love being on stage and working alongside others, but I don’t like being the center of attention for myself. It feels weird. I like celebrating stuff, but not for me. Make any sense?” Chuckling, Elliott kissed the top of Lys’s head and played with a lock of his hair.

“I confess to the same state of mind. I prefer a much more low-key and private form of celebration.” He paused in his thoughts and actions, and Lys made a noise of curiosity. “Ah, I just had a thought, it is nothing.”

“Mmm? When’s yours?”

“...It has already passed as well.”

“And?”

“...It was in the first week of fall,” he answered, clearing his throat and looking away the way he always did when slightly embarrassed about something. Lys did the mental math, adding the events of that timeframe to Elliott’s current mood and came up with a result that made him laugh heartily.

“You’re telling me that your birthday was the first night we-”

“Yes.” He laughed again and hugged Elliott tightly with mirth.

“So I gave you the best present you could have gotten at the time, yeah?” Smiling warmly, Elliott returned the hug just as strongly.

“You did. I could not have asked for a greater gift.” Lys felt the shy honesty in Elliott’s words and bit off a snarky reply, instead tracing his fingers down the side of his partner’s face.

“I promised that I would give you anything you asked for.”

“That is true. First your mind, then your heart, and now your body. And one day I will ask for your hand.” Normally Lys would have taken the rather risqué route with that comment, but their current and previous lines of conversation brought to mind the other meaning for that phrase, and he was without a reply at first.

“...Gold or platinum?” he smiled.

“We’ll decide whenever we get that far.” Chuckling again, Lys shivered and leaned further into Elliott’s arms as a sudden chill breeze snaked down the back of his collar.

“We should get home, it’s starting to cool off and the ride is going to be even colder.”

“Then I look forward to warming you back up and keeping you that way the rest of the night.”

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
            Gabaw and Alkanthe like this.
          • Gabaw

Gabaw Spaceman Spiff

All in all a good parting in high spirits and promises to return. I do appreciate that little paragraph in the middle. So this is what you meant! i am pleased have a :confirm: as for the remainder of the chap i'm always pleasantly surprised by how well Lys and Elliott maintain their relationship thru eachother's various semi-major problems and incidents. if that's not a mark of meant to be then i dunno what is.

Risukage likes this.
            • Risukage

What? I'm just a fan of mature relationships where people actually talk things out and are reasonable about expectations and events. I mean, isn't that the way that people are supposed to act? :p

• Risukage

//Just tying up a few loose ends at the end of fall, as well as one or two plot threads I've wanted to address before we dive into the last two arcs of this story. Also, the last bit of this chapter is something I've had in mind for several weeks now, and I am pleased and amused to finally make it happen. Something big happens on Monday, so bring some popcorn with you next week, but you should really be sitting down. Just saying. ;)

(And I don't care if he's not using "correct" French, I'm deliberately being verbose for amusing effect.)//

Lys sat down at the table in the community center, tapping at a tablet and bringing up a file, sighing as he scrolled through it. Sam noticed, and inquired about the reason for his friend’s frustration.

“Nothing, really. I just downloaded this book because I thought it would help me with researching some flowers I wanted to grow, but instead it’s about their meanings and usage. Still cool, but not what I was looking for.”

“What kind of usage? You give people you like flowers, it’s not that hard.”

“Actually, there’s several ‘languages’ built around the meaning of different flowers and the color. Like you’re familiar with giving roses to someone you like, but if you were going for a deeper meaning, then you’d want to remember what different colors mean. For instance, red ones are for romantic love, but if you gave them yellow roses you’d basically be hinting that you’re jealous or think that they’re cheating on you.”

“What? Seriously? That’s...kinda cool, actually.” Elliott read from over Lys’s shoulder, scanning for something.

“What are you looking for?”

“Just being curious. Fascinating, there are- Oh, well, that’s amusing.” Lys immediately noticed what Elliott had seen and laughed.

“That’s right, you’re partial to pomegranates. So the fruit indicates foolishness but the flowers are mature elegance. I suppose that I can see that second meaning being accurate,” he smiled, kissing him fondly, “though, I wonder, what are sunflowers…” Haley looked up with interest.

“Oh, I love those! What are they for?”

“...False riches. How very unfunny. I’ve worked hard for what I have, thank you very much.” Wrapping an arm around Lys’s shoulders, Elliott traced a finger along one ear as he nuzzled his partner’s neck.

Votre amour est la vraie richesse, ma fleur du soleil.” Lys dropped the tablet onto the table with a clatter, provoking laughter from the rest of the band.

“Wow. Okay, two things. First, I didn’t know that you knew French. Second, I need a cold shower.” Chuckling, Elliott hugged him and kissed him on the cheek. “And third, I need to find the book I was actually looking for. Which reminds me, Sebastian, is your mom going to be up tonight when we’re done here?” His friend looked up from some notes he was taking.

“Yeah, why, what’s up?”

“I’ve got the cash and resources to finally repair that greenhouse, and I want to do it before winter so I’ve got income while everything else is dead under the snow. Which is also why I want to know what I should try and grow over the winter, so I’m not wasting my time or money.”

“It’s not quite her area of expertise, but yeah, she’ll be up, and she’ll know who to contract to get it done in time. Good on you for thinking ahead, I hadn’t considered that.”

“I’d almost forgotten, to be honest, I’m cutting it close to the wire.”

That evening Lys slung Resonance over his head like usual and shouldered the strap of a small bag that held the tablet and a couple of other things he had brought. Sebastian waited to the side while Lys locked the door and hugged Elliott.

“So I am your ‘flower of the sun?’ I rather like that. What are you, then?”

“I am the rain that nourishes your body, refreshes your mind, and cleanses your soul.” Lys burst into delighted laughter, which appeared to be the reaction that Elliott had desired.

“You are simply adorable. How do you manage to always make me smile?”

“Because your light and warmth are what have allowed me to flourish, and selfishly, I find myself compelled to shower you with praise and adoration in order to further bask in your energy.” Both of them laughed heartily as Sebastian made gagging noises, smirking at them.

“Hurry up and make out already, I want to get home before tomorrow,” their dark-haired friend sassed with good humor.

“He’s right, I do need to get going. See you in a bit?”

“Xander will keep me company until you return.” They let their kiss linger a bit longer than usual, just to mess with Sebastian before they parted; Elliott walking west and Lys following Sebastian east and north. Rummaging in the bag, Lys pulled out two packs of the flavored cigarettes, offering one to Sebastian and opening the other.

“Here y’go, promised I’d refill your stash, and one from a fresh pack. Oh blast, you’ve got a lighter, yeah?”

“Yeah, here, thanks, dude.”

“Cheers, mate.” They walked in silence for a moment as both smokes were lit and packs and lighters put away.

“I already said it once, but it bears repeating: you two are so cute it makes my teeth hurt.” Chuckling, Lys exhaled a casual stream of smoke, smiling softly to himself.

“...He means every word, Sebastian, I can hear and feel it in his voice and touch, and the way he looks at me… It’s almost overwhelming, I almost feel like I’m drowning in it all, and I won’t have it any other way. I’ve always been a rampant flirt and had fun making others feel good, but as fun as it was and people liked it, everyone was still at arm’s length, and I never let myself get close to anyone. But Elliott… He’s genuine. It’s like he’s had all of this love building up for years, and now that he’s finally got someone to share it with, he’s having a hard time holding it back, and he doesn’t apologize for any of it. I’m almost not sure what I did to earn it. Laugh all you want, mate, but I’ve never felt this alive and content.” Sebastian laughed and punched Lys in the shoulder.

“I was just giving you grief earlier because you’re my friend and annoying younger brother. I respect what you two have. After seeing all of the stupid drama and bullshit back in school, it’s refreshing to see a mature, caring relationship with genuine trust and respect. And after the way you got kicked in the balls last year I’m happy to see you succeeding.”

They traded banter back and forth until they reached Sebastian’s house, and Lys was interested to see Maru in the side yard tinkering with a telescope.

“Hi, Maru! Isn’t it a bit cold out for stargazing?” he asked, waving as he walked over. She looked up and flashed him a smile.

“Hey Lys, nice to see you again. It’s a bit cool out, yeah, but not as much as it will be soon. Mom brought me a thermos of hot cocoa before she went to bed, so it’s actually nice right now.” She looked surprised when both men sighed at the same time.

“It’s not you, Maru,” Lys interjected, “I was hoping to talk to Robin about something, but I guess I’ll hafta catch her in the morning. You too, mate.” Sebastian nodded, resigning himself to a hug around the shoulders, but Lys could tell that it was just for show and that his friend did appreciate the gesture. “So, what are you looking at?” he asked, strolling over to the telescope, his hands in his pockets. Maru’s face lit up and offered him a cup of the cocoa.

“I’m tracking the space station tonight, it should be flying by overhead pretty soon.”

“Really? That’s nifty! When?” She checked her phone and glanced at the sky.

“About another five minutes or so. You know, it’s nice to be able to share this with somebody else for once.” Her words were similar to the ones spoken by Sebastian many months earlier, and Lys smiled at the memory, holding the cup in both hands.

“You know, you and your brother are more alike than either of you think.” Chuckling, she poured herself a cup and shook her head.

“Thanks for being polite, but it’s okay, we’re from different worlds. We’ve learned to live with each other by now.” Lys exhaled happily, warm from the cocoa, and set down the empty cup.

“Not as much as you think. Here, I’ll show you. Your telescope, how does it work?” Once again she brightened with enthusiasm and began to describe apertures, lenses, focal points, and-

Lys took her hand in his, smiling.

“No, I mean, how does it work?” He put her hand on the telescope and traced the fingers of his other hand along the main body of the instrument. “Why does it work? When this piece connects to this piece to that piece… How and why? You’re a scientist, so you know the mechanics and formulas for everything, but it’s all intellectual. Sebastian, he’s an engineer, he feels and understands innately. You’ve seen him work on his motorcycle, and you’ve heard it run. It’s not just a machine, it’s an extension of himself.” Maru ran her fingers over the smooth aluminum body of the telescope, thinking about Lys’s words.

“Yeah, I guess you’re right. We’ve both been attacking the same problem, but because we’re coming at it from different directions we’ve never seen eye-to-eye because we have different sets of data and experiences.”

“And together you two could be something amazing. Intellect and intuition, you both have it in droves, just balanced differently. Ask him about his coding work some time, he’s very proud of what he’s done, and I know he’d love to share it with you if you gave it the chance.” She was quiet and thoughtful for a moment, considering the prospect of working with her half-brother.

“You know, I have wanted to do some more complex work with my ‘bots, but I need code to do that, and I’m all about hardware. I wonder...maybe we could collaborate on something.” Lys beamed and laughed, hugging her warmly, and stepping back with an apology.

“Ah, sorry, I’m really affectionate to friends, I didn’t mean to cross boundaries like that.”

“You’ve been an amazing influence on Sebastian, I think I’m okay with being your friend, too. You’re really too sweet, Lys, Elliott is a lucky man.” Rubbing the back of his neck, he sighed in good humor.

“It sounds like everyone in town knows about us.” Maru giggled and pulled out her phone when it beeped an alarm.

“Oh! The space station should be coming into view!” Looking into the eyepiece, she gasped with excitement. “Perfect, here it is. Have a look!” She moved aside to allow Lys to have a look. The silvery form of the space station in orbit slowly swept across his field of view, and he stepped back to look up and see if he could spot it unaided. Maru traded places with him and did the same, pointing up and tracking something with her finger. “There, see that little point of light moving at a diagonal?”

“Yeah, I do. Wow. But I bet the view from up there is much more amazing.” Maru giggled again and put her eye to the instrument, fiddling with a couple of knobs to find it again now that it had passed out of the line of sight for which she had initially calibrated.

“I’ll leave you to this, I should get home, but I’ll see you again in the morning.”

“Great! Thanks for watching this with me. And...I’ll to talk to Sebastian. He’s stubborn, but he does listen to reason. I guess I’ll hafta be the better person and initiate conversation.”

“Heh, good luck. And I think he will enjoy helping you provide software for your ‘bots, he loves a good practical challenge like that. G’nite!”

“G’nite, stay warm!”

Lys was a little chilled when he returned home a little while later, but Elliott was eager to change that quickly, and provided assistance with Lys’s morning work after he had returned from his run with Alex. They cleaned up and readied for the day earlier than Lys did when working alone, and grabbed helmets and warm coats for the ride up to Sebastian’s house.

“You’re sure you want to come along? I kinda feel bad for just dragging you along.”

“It is no bother, dear, I’ve not been up that way in some time and have wanted to visit again.” Tucking his hair into the helmet, he swing a leg over Morgenlied and turned over the engine, snugging his gloves into place as Elliott settled behind him. In a few minutes they were at their friend’s home, parking outside and leaving their helmets with the bike. Robin greeted them happily as they walked in, offering coffee and a snack.

“I’ll gladly take a coffee, thanks. I actually dropped by last night, but you were already asleep.”

“Oh? Did you have a project in mind?” she asked, rummaging through the cupboard for things.

“Yeah. I’ve got enough saved up to repair the greenhouse, but I don’t know how to go about getting that done.” Pausing, she pursed her lips thoughtfully, tapping her foot on the floor and a cup in her hand.

“Not on my own, no, I’m no good with glass. But I do have a contact that is, and he can offer you a good rate. As I recall it wasn’t in bad condition, but it did need a lot of minor repairs.” Lys nodded, pulling out his phone and opening the pictures folder. Robin poured three cups from the pot on the counter and set them on the table, along with a plate of sugar cubes and a container of cream, then took the phone and swiped between the images.

“I’ve done what I can, but there are a couple of panels that outright need replacing, and I’m not sure how structurally sound it is,” he remarked, pouring cream into his cup, “but yeah, it’s in okay enough shape for the most part.” Robin pulled out her own phone and made a call, flipping back and forth through the pictures that Lys had taken as she talked. Finally, she got up to get paper and pen, took a couple of notes, and got Lys’s attention.

“He can be by tomorrow to have a look and start planning. Sounds good?”

“Sounds great! Drop in at any time, though I should be finished with work before the afternoon.” Robin relayed the information, made a few more notes, and hung up.

“Well! It sounds like you’re making amazing progress, Lys. You’ve been here less than a year and have already turned your grandfather’s farm into something to be proud of, made friends, are a part of a successful musical group, found a cute boyfriend, and got the both of yourselves published.” Elliott turned a bit red at this observation, but was pleased by it anyway.

“We have achieved much because we have worked together, and are all stronger for it,” he replied, sipping his coffee, “and I feel confident in stating that we all owe Lysander no small amount of thanks; it is not that we would have failed without him, but he provided the inspiration that we all needed to begin our own journeys.” Robin smiled and patted their hands.

“You’ve been an amazing influence on my son, Lys, and I can’t thank you enough for that.”

“Oh, speaking of, I should go poke him, we’ve got practice soon and he might as well get up.” Lys drank the last of his coffee in one gulp, thanked Robin for it, and nimbly skipped down the stairs to Sebastian’s room, carefully opening the door a tiny bit as a fit of mischief stole over him. He heard Sebastian’s gentle snores and slipped in, closing the door behind himself and crossing the room as swift and silent as a breeze. Kneeling by the side of the bed, he caressed Sebastian’s cheek and whispered his name in the best imitation of Abigail’s voice that he could…

Robin and Elliott jumped in surprise at a shout and loud thumping from the direction of Sebastian’s room. They sprang up and dashed in that direction, followed by Maru. Elliott made it there first, and stopped abruptly, the two women nearly bumping into him as he fumbled for the light switch. Sebastian held up an arm over his eyes at the sudden illumination, sitting astride Lys, who was on his back on the floor, laughing himself to tears as he held a pillow over his face through which Sebastian was trying to punch him.

“What the hell is wrong with your boyfriend?!” Sebastian demanded, winding back for another punch.

“Do desire the short list or the comprehensive one?”

“...Your...face!... Sweet Yoba, oh wow,” gasped Lys, still clutching the pillow for safety. Sebastian thumped him through it one more time before noticing Maru, and grinned.

“Hey, Maru, while I’m getting dressed, wanna show them what you showed me last night?”

“Oh! Yeah! Be right back!” Maru dashed off and Sebastian stood up, reaching into the closet for a fresh shirt and putting on the pair of jeans he’d thrown over the back of a chair. Elliott pulled Lys to his feet, who wheezed a couple of times before catching his breath and threw the pillow back on the bed. Robin sighed in relief and went back upstairs, shaking her head, and dodged around Maru, who had just returned.

“I’m so proud of this, it’s an octopedal automaton that I finally got working right the other day.”

“Octo what?” Lys asked, turning around, and-

Sebastian sat down heavily in the chair and leaned over the table for support, laughing almost too hard to breathe. Maru held the still-walking tarantula-bot in her hands, wondering what the fuss was, as Lys hissed at her, catlike, from the top of one of Sebastian’s bookshelves.

“Dear, come down from there.”

“No.”

Dear.” Lys hissed again, hunkering down and trying to hide his embarrassment. “Do not make me come get you,” Elliott demanded, fists on his hips, “I’d just as soon not damage his room any further.”

“I’m not going anywhere until the mad scientist puts away the giant mechanical NOPE she’s holding.”

“Get. Down. Now.” Lys glared at all of them and silently flattened himself against the top of the bookshelf. “Right, that does it. I am getting you down myself.” There was a momentary scuffle as Elliott dragged Lys off upside-down, and dropped him on Sebastian’s bed. Standing up, Sebastian wiped his eyes and hugged his half-sister.

“Thanks, Maru. You know, I think we make a really good team after all.”

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
                • Gabaw

Gabaw Spaceman Spiff

Pardon the convulsions, they've become more common with these later chaps :p French really?? In any case it looked proper enough to me. Seems like Seb and Maru are finally getting along too. A programmer and a robot enthusiast are meant to work together!

ApertureGaming011 and Risukage like this.
                  • Risukage

I know! I mean, c'mon, Elliott, if you're going to make a clever pun you could at least do it in a language everyone there knows, even if it is really sweet and it's not often that Lys is speechless. And quit being adorable, you two, my audience is going to develop a mass case of diabetes.

As for Maru and Sebastian? Muahahaha! :)

• Risukage

//I've been looking forward to this arc so much for so long. *Evil grin.*//

The greenhouse was repaired quickly, giving Lys more than enough time to move inside what he knew wouldn’t survive the winter, and to begin preparing to plant new things. He was a little sad that the sunflowers couldn’t be moved, but they could be replanted later. The berry bushes would be fine on their own through the winter, and Lys hoped that they’d be mature enough to produce a harvest the next year. He hadn’t gotten around to planting the roses, but those would be a personal project and could wait a bit. Besides, he admitted to himself, he sort of wanted to do that with Elliott around, as he knew that his partner would be delighted to help with that endeavor. The next couple of weeks were a blur of activity, and one day, Alex asked to meet everyone at the saloon, citing good news that he wanted to share.

Lys and Elliott were the last to arrive, removing gloves and scarves as they approached the table that their friends had occupied, hanging their coats over the back of their chairs; a neat, double-breasted coat in charcoal for Elliott, and a hooded zip-up jacket in crimson for Lys. Sam poured them both a drink as they sat down. Penny now sat next to him with a soda in one hand, as they had been at his house reading comics and listening to music when they got the message from Alex. Sebastian and Abigail were seated together as usual, and Haley sipped a martini instead of the beer that everyone else was drinking.

“Sorry we’re running a bit late,” Lys smiled, “but I didn’t feel safe taking the bike in the snow here just yet until I’ve had more practice, and I forgot how much longer it takes to walk somewhere even in just an inch of snow.”

“It’s all good,” replied Alex, beaming with glee, “you’re here and that’s what matters.”

“So what’s the good news, cousin? Something special come up?” Alex’s grin got even wider as he gripped his glass in both hands.

“I got accepted to the gridball team at university. I’m going pro, bro!” The table erupted in applause, cheers, and accolades for the athlete, and Haley gasped and hugged him around the neck with a squeal of delight.

“So that’s the call you were so excited about, sweetie! Oh wow, I am so happy for you, mwah!” She kissed him on the cheek and giggled as he returned the hug, as well as a fistbump of approval from Sam and Sebastian. Lys smiled and laughed, caught up in the infectious energy.

“That is brilliant, you’ve busted your arse for months getting ready and it’s paid off. Proper nifty, Alex, I’m really proud of you.”

“You’re the one that inspired me to try again and chase my dream. Thanks, I owe you.”

“Eh, you saved my life earlier this year, consider the debt paid,” Lys smirked, leaning back in his chair. Laughter and excited chatter floated around the table until the door opened and let in a small gust of cold wind as someone entered and quickly shut the door behind them.

“Lys, it is you! It’s been a while!” Lys had just finished his drink, which was fortunate, as he dropped his glass, which rolled away across the table, and froze in shock at the voice behind him. Everyone else investigated the speaker: a young man of medium build and medium height, with slightly-messy short black hair and a neatly-trimmed short beard and moustache, soft green eyes behind black, plastic-framed glasses, and a hesitant smile. The cold shock turned into hot rage as Lys knocked over his chair as he stood, lunging at the other man.

“YOU UNBELIEVABLE BASTARD!” Grabbing him by the collar of his coat with both hands, Lys slammed him against the wall hard enough to rattle it. Alex got up and dashed over, yanking Lys away and twisting an arm behind his back. Lys dropped to one knee, gasping in pain, but still defiant.

“Cuz, the hell! What’s gotten into you?” The newcomer should have been scared, but he looked more remorseful than anything else.

“Lys… I… I came here to talk.” Lys snarled and glared at him, despite the pain of resisting against Alex.

“You don’t have anything worth listening to. Last time I tried to talk to you I woke up on the kitchen floor covered in my own blood.” Alex released Lys in surprise, who grunted in pain again, but never lost the look of anger, and stood slowly, rubbing his shoulder. Elliott looked between his partner and the other man and made the connection as well.

“You are Allen, correct?”

“Yes, he’s told you about me?” Lys shot Allen a dark look of pain.

“They all know about you. And all about you. We’re done, you made that very clear before.”

“No! Lys, wait, it was a misunderstanding-”

Really! What part of ‘you’re easy and I don’t like men’ is a misunderstanding?”

“That’s not what I meant-”

“Then what did you mean? Because it was pretty obvious that you didn’t want me in your life anymore.”

“I never said that!”

“Dude…” Sam’s quiet address drew their attention, as the blonde man examined the bottom of his glass from the inside. “As someone who screws up a lot, and most of the time on purpose, I can tell when someone wants to make things right. And few things hurt more than not being able to. Just… Please chill out a sec and hear him out, okay?” Lys set his jaw and was about to snap back a reply before he felt Elliott hold him from behind. The anger subsided to a simmer, though the tension in his shoulders remained.

“Dear, I realize that you were hurt in so many ways, but do not forget that it cut both ways. You need this closure as well, and you know it. Listen, talk, reconcile. If not for you or him then for me, because it hurts more than I can express to see you suffer over your past like this.” Lys didn’t speak or move for a moment, then nodded curtly, waiting for Elliott to step back before he stalked away and leaned against the wall, arms folded across his chest, and glared at the floor. Allen watched him and hesitated, glancing over at Elliott for confirmation, who nodded and smiled supportively. Taking a deep breath to compose himself, he walked over and stood in front of Lys, his hands in his pockets, trying to figure out how to start.

“I didn’t want you to leave, and it’s not that I didn’t love you, it’s that… It changed. I changed.”

“That’s a roundabout way of saying you’re not interested.”

“I’m not not-interested- That is, I’m not uninterested… Damn it, Lys…” He sighed again and started over. “I always loved you. But I was wrong, it wasn’t romantic, even though I thought it was. I grew up with you, and for a while we were… I didn’t mind it. I did like it. And when I moved I dated other people, yes, but I still remembered you. When we met again I was happy, and when you asked if I wanted to pick up where we left off I accepted because I remembered how good it felt being around you. But as time went on I realized that what I felt was...more like a brother, a good, close friend, maybe even a soulmate of sorts, but not a lover. I didn’t know how to tell you, I still don’t. And on top of that my parents found out that I was dating, but they don’t approve of same-sex relationships, and I was terrified about them finding out before I could try to bring them around to the idea.” Lys remained silent, but his posture wasn’t as rigid. Allen noticed and pressed on with his story.

“I was overwhelmed with classes at the same time as well, and I had started finding out about your...history and reputation on campus, but I didn’t know what to believe, and I didn’t know how to ask you. I mean, really, how do you ask a lifelong friend, ‘hey, rumor on campus is that you’ll sleep with anyone who asks, is that true?’ I couldn’t think of a way to ask, and I didn’t know or trust anyone else enough to dispel or confirm that information, so...I ran away. I hid from you. And it was wrong of me. I should have trusted you as a friend, as family, to be able to ask you anything, and I didn’t. For what it’s worth, I’m sorry about that.” Shifting his weight to his other foot, Lys shrugged and put his hands in his pockets, still unable to look at Allen directly, but now looked thoughtful instead of angry, and continued to listen.

“I had time one week that I planned to sit down with you and talk things out. Everything. I had finally worked up the courage and what I thought I was going to say, and I was going to arrange it with you...the day that you confronted me on campus. I handled it poorly; I was scared and embarrassed and caught off-guard, and I knew you were right to be angry at me for avoiding you so long without any explanation. I would do anything, give anything, to be able to take back every word that I said. ...And I don’t blame you one bit for taking a swing at me, and the only reason I wish you hadn’t is that our friends tried to step in. We all screwed up, bad, and I knew it had all gone right to shit the moment Dave hit you, because you always got angry and irrational when someone hurt you like that. You ran, and I tried to catch up, but I was too slow. I knew that you’d go back to your apartment, as that’s where you always went when you wanted to be alone. I got there as fast as I could and…” Allen trailed off, shoulders shaking, as he paused to compose himself. No longer angry, Lys now watched him quietly, waiting for him to continue.

“I got there just after you did. It could only have been a couple of minutes. The door was still open, and when I called out to you there was no answer. I walked in and…” Stifling a sob, Allen hugged himself, and blinked back tears. “You were on the floor, completely unresponsive. I… I phoned for help and tried to stop the bleeding. ...It was everywhere. All I could think of was that your blood was on my hands and your life in them, literally and figuratively. I was so scared, I thought I was going to lose you and it was all my fault… The paramedics arrived and got to work, and I waited, hoping you’d wake up, terrified that you wouldn’t. You did, just long enough to tell them to let you die.” He clenched his fists and shut his eyes tightly, trying to hold back tears. Lys was no longer hunched; his posture had gone from outward, burning rage to inward, freezing pain.

“That was the last memory that I had of you; choosing to end everything rather than live with the pain that I had caused to you. I left your apartment at that moment, and I was this close to joining you... And when you didn’t contact me later, I assumed that you hated me and never wanted to talk to me again. I thought that was the end of it, but last month I recognized you in a poster I saw for a new band that was going to play locally, and was delighted to see that you were doing well, so I went to your show. It was amazing. And when you sang your grandfather’s song… I had to leave after that. I remembered how you would sing and play guitar for me, and all I could think of was the past. ...I’m sorry, Lys, for everything. I came here to apologize, and even if you don’t forgive me, just please let me finish so I can get out of your life with a clear conscience.” Lys watched him with sadness and self-loathing as he realized what had really happened.

“I’m sorry for snapping at you like I did. I don’t blame you one bit for hitting me, and if you want to do it again I won’t stop you. I deserve it. I just…Lys?” Allen noticed his friend’s complete change in attitude and instinctively tried to reach out to him. This was the breaking point; Lys backed away, tears blurring and burning his vision, tripping over a chair that he didn’t see behind him. Both Allen and Elliott tried to help, but Lys sprang to his feet, shoved past them, and ran outside.

“Lysander! Damn it, I was afraid of that,” Elliott said, putting on his coat and buttoning it with swift efficiency, “I’ll go and bring him back. Allen, please, have a seat. Sam, get him a glass, Alex, tell Gus that I’ll cover whatever he wants.” Still confused, Allen stared blankly at him.

“What happened? I thought he was angry and hated me, but he just ran off. ...He’s not going to do anything…?” Elliott shook his head as he put on his gloves and scarf.

“He ran because he thought that you hated him, and because he now fully knows the pain that he has caused to you. Again, please, sit and be among friends. I shall return as swiftly as I can.” He picked up Lys’s jacket and scarf and dashed out the door after his partner. Allen watched him leave and jumped a bit in surprise when Penny took and patted his hand.

“Come on, have a seat, tell us all about yourself and Lysander. He’s such a sweetie, but he’s never mentioned his past much, and almost nothing about you. How did you meet?” Accepting a glass of the beer that most of the rest of the table was drinking, he stared into it as he thought, and smiled as he recalled old, happy memories.

“The first thing I remember about him was his warm, friendly smile…”

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
                        Gabaw, Alkanthe and ApertureGaming011 like this.
                      • Gabaw

Gabaw Spaceman Spiff

damn i shoulda seen this coming with how many times it was alluded to. Then again i got the foresight of a fossilized rock. Honestly after the royal mess the whole thing was, I don't see how there can be closure in a short span of time. I guess folks need to say there piece, find out where they stand, then bugger off :p who knows what you got in mind tho. Just when i thought it was winding down for a photo finish the track bends into a dark tunnel. if there's a light at the end i don't see it yet!

• Risukage

There are three sides to any argument: yours, theirs, and the truth. It looks like everyone finally knows what the truth is, so now it's time to see what they do with it.

Gabaw and ApertureGaming011 like this.
                          • Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

Yeah, saw the bad relationship thing, though TBH I kind of wonder if Lys has some even further underlying issues, maybe even biological ones, given how sensitive his fight, flight, and freeze responses are. Especially since once they trigger it takes a lot to reset his mood.

Then again, my brain is all shades of unusual wiring so who am I to say that, really, haha.

Also, misunderstanding or not, I still want to take a baseball bat to Allen's groin because accidentally or not he really fucked poor Lys up emotionally. Given circumstances though, I'd at least consider getting him an icepack after the hitting.

Gabaw and Risukage like this.
                            • Risukage

//
                              Some of his personality is sorta based on mine, and I do have a bit of a bad habit of wanting to punch things SO HARD when angry, but I also tend to want to just GTFO in some conflicts when there's the possibility that I'm going to hurt someone who doesn't have it coming. He's just a bit more of an extreme all around. Also, I'm a bit mercurial as well; I'm usually quite mellow, but I still have a bad habit of getting my wrath on in seconds if someone pushes the right button, something I'm REALLY trying to correct.

*Laughs.* You know, you're the second person who's expressed that sentiment to me, and I wonder how many other readers feel the same. Conversely, I wonder how many people are angry at Lys for what he did to Allen, because to be honest, they're kinda both in the wrong, and hurt someone they cared about because they were selfish and angry. If this story had been told from Allen's POV, what would people think? :) I'm not demanding that people post and answer, but it's something that I'm curious about. And to be honest, I'm kinda happy in a weird way that people are so defensive and supportive of my ginger doofus, seriously, I <3 you people, this is the kind of thing that keeps me writing.

But it's time to continue and see if Elliott was able to catch up with Lys in the first place... I wonder how much hate I'm going to get for this chapter. :p//

Elliott was grateful for his foresight; having ridden to Lys’s home the previous night he was wearing boots, not his normal shoes, and these provided the warmth and traction that he needed as he followed Lys’s footprints in the shallow but fresh snow. They led in a straight line south from the saloon, and he hoped that his prediction would be accurate in that Lys wouldn’t do anything...irrational… He was not unhealthy or out of shape, but he was also unaccustomed to running, especially in the cold air. A tight ache formed in his chest, of worry and physical strain, which eased when he saw Lys standing on the bridge over the river, staring out at nothing. Slowing to a walk to catch his breath and compose himself, he called out to his partner, who didn’t immediately respond.

“...I don’t deserve either of you…”

“What?” Elliott approached him, amazed that Lys didn’t seem to notice the cold.

“I’m such a damn, stupid idiot. I rush into everything without thinking. I never think, I just do things and screw them up. I should have waited. I should have talked to him alone. I shouldn’t have lost my temper. I never, ever should have hit him… I should have said something when I got out of the hospital… He was my oldest and best friend, we did and shared everything together. And I threw it all away from one little misunderstanding, because I’m too stupid to wait and listen. I hurt him so much, which he never deserved, and I hate myself for it. All of the pain I've carried this year has been of my own doing. I don’t deserve love or happiness, I’ll just destroy it all anyway…” Elliott felt a sharp jab of anger but said nothing, only removing one of his gloves. Lys saw his movement out of the corner of his eye and turned to face him, and Elliott drew back and slapped him as hard as he could. The noise was a sharp, loud crack that echoed in the frigid silence. Completely caught unaware by this, Lys collapsed, lying on his back in the snow, his face stinging and thoughts in a tangle.

“So my love for you means nothing?” Elliott demanded, standing over Lys, who propped himself up on his elbows, slightly dizzy.

“What? No! I didn’t-”

“Does the devotion and care that I feel for you make me a fool, then? You would discard everything that we have and are, everything that we have done, out of self-recrimination and pity?”

“Love, no, that’s-!” Lys blinked and sighed, smiling ruefully. “You’re right. I’m the one being foolish. I’m falling back into bad habits. Thanks, I needed that.” He took the hand that Elliott offered and got to his feet, brushing snow and slush off of himself. Elliott put a hand on Lys’s face, inspecting him for injury, looking remorseful and concerned.

“Are you hurt, dear? My apologies, I did not realize that I had that level of strength when my ire had been invoked.” Lys smiled, putting a hand over Elliott’s.

“I already said it, I needed that. It stings, both ways, but you were right- are right, and I had that coming. I didn’t mean to denigrate you or your feelings. Sorry, love.” He gasped suddenly, hugging his arms, as the shock of cold hit him, tearing through him all at once. “Bloody hell, how did I not notice this until now? It’s freezing out.” Gratefully, he put on the jacket, and fumbled with the zipper with chilled, slightly numb fingers until Elliott took care of it for him. He pulled his gloves out of his pockets and put them on while Elliott wrapped his scarf around his neck and put his own glove back on. Still cold but not getting any colder, Lys sighed and leaned into Elliott, foreheads touching and arms around each other’s waist, taking a moment to mentally compose himself.

“Allen and I both screwed up here. We’re both to blame.”

“There is no blame to assign. However, you both have responsibility for it,” Elliott corrected gently.

“Heh, yeah, you’re right. Twice in one day.”

“Our friends are waiting, let us go and reconvene with them,” Elliott said, giving him a quick peck and taking his hand. Lys shivered, though he was starting to warm up a little, and walked in step with his partner back to the saloon.

“So, there we were,” Allen chuckled, gesturing with an empty glass as the table laughed, “with this giant effing spider between us and the exit-” He cut off as the door opened and Lys and Elliott returned. Lys paused, suddenly without words or actions, but felt Elliott’s touch on his back, and nodded. Quietly, Allen put down the glass, now quite sober in action and demeanor, and stood as Lys removed his gloves, scarf, and jacket, handing them to Elliott.

“I’ll go now, sorry to have intruded, Lys. I’m sorry for everything, especially barging in here like that. I’ll get out of your life and-” Lys hugged him tightly, his fingers digging into the shorter man's shirt.

“Stop running. We both do that too much. And we keep hurting each other every damn time. Don’t apologize for anything. I understand now; I’m the one that started it, I'm the one that hurt you first, I'm the one that cut off all contact and ran away. You didn't do anything wrong, you never did. I'm always the one that got us in trouble, I'm always the one that got us hurt. You were the one that was always there for me, and no matter what stupid shit I did or said, and you always put up with my antics without ever complaining. Every time we got in trouble you were the one who stepped up to make things right, even when you shouldn't have. You're a better friend than I ever deserved, and it's completely inexcusable what I did to you. I'm sorry for all of the pain that I caused, I'm sorry for running away, I'm sorry for doubting you, I'm sorry for not being strong enough, I-"

"You always apologize for everything, even if it's not your fault, stop it!" interrupted Allen, holding Lys at arm's length, gripping him by the shoulders. "And I don't know what I ever did to deserve your friendship. I was always a coward, holding back and running from everything while you stood up and protected me. Every time you'd smile and show off your bruises and cuts, laughing at how the other guys got it worse. You were always the brave one who tried new things and was happy to be in front of a crowd. You were always so full of love and warmth that you wanted to share with other people, and I always felt like I was just leeching off of it, never giving anything back. And you are strong, you always took on the weight of the world and other people's troubles without question and never asked for anything in return. You always gave Lys; love, money, time, everything, and you did it with a smile. You're too strong, and I feel like such selfish dead weight, because despite everything that's happened and what I did to you, I still want to be around you. I don't understand, why did you want to be friends with me?" Lys was surprised by this outburst and outpouring of information, but chuckled and mussed up Allen's hair.

"Because you cared. I was always different, in appearance, personality, everything. I never got along with anyone, even though I tried. So I stopped trying. And then one day I was at the park and saw a fight. You were being picked on for some reason, but it's not like some people need a reason. I'm a bit stupid but honorable, so I stepped in and fought back, and they ran. And you..." Lys paused to laugh brightly and hug the other man, "you insisted on dragging me back to your house because one of them landed a lucky punch that cut my lip and you felt just awful about someone being hurt because of you and you had to make it right. We were, what, six? Seven? It was so long ago, but I still remember how you were almost frantic in telling your mom about what had happened and that she had to help. It made me feel good, y'know? Nobody had ever done that for me before. And you were almost in tears the entire time she was cleaning me up. All I could do was smile and laugh, and right then, it was all okay. Also, I remember the cookies she gave us. Your mom makes the best cookies, better than mine, but don't tell her that." Allen snickered at Lys's statement and thought, remembering that moment.

"Yeah, those guys had me terrified, and then you swooped in, laughing and throwing punches, without a care for your own safety. It was like I had my own personal superhero, and I decided right then that I needed to stand up for that."

"And over the years you continued to stand up for and with me, even despite the dumb and crazy shit I pulled. You were the voice of reason and more than once talked me down from something that could have gone badly wrong. I'm almost bipolar and flicker between extremes, but you were always balanced and level-headed. We were a great team together. I inspired you to be a better person, and you gave me direction and something to fight for and protect. You were always creative and brilliant. I'm the musician and entertainer, but can't create to save my life. You always had these grand ideas and knew how to make them happen, and all I wanted to do was make sure you could do anything you wanted." Elliott was unable to stifle a chuckle of approval and blushed as Lys and Allen turned to him.

"I did not mean to interrupt, that was rude of me."

"It's okay," Allen replied, "he's found someone that makes him happy and that supports him back. I'm glad that you can do what I couldn't. What I wasn't strong enough to do."

"Allen, you're stronger than you know and I'll keep saying it until it finally sticks," Lys smirked, tapping him on the top of the head, "Besides, I started it, everything, every time, you just went with it. And it's my fault that you felt like you couldn't come to me about any of it. You were scared of me and what I might do, and that's completely wrong. I'm embarrassed and angry at myself that I gave you the impression that you couldn't trust me to sit down and talk about your concerns as soon as something came up. But regardless of what happened, I was selfish and stupid and wasn't paying attention. I was so happy to have you back when we met up again at university, and I wasn't thinking of what you wanted. And that's why I..." He trailed off and brushed the scar on one wrist.

"I didn't do it just because your words hurt, I did it because I thought that I had ruined a friendship that had lasted me a lifetime, and had physically and emotionally caused suffering to the nicest person I knew, who had always and selflessly done everything for me. I couldn't live with that pain. I was too weak to live with it. That's why I told the medics to leave me, because I was too much of a coward to look you in the face again after what had happened. I was so angry at you for so long, almost as much as I hated myself, and it tore me up inside, and I thought I was over it, up until you showed up just now. I shouldn't have attacked you when you walked in, and Sam and Elliott are right, you deserved the chance to try to reconcile things, or at least clear up the past. And now that I've heard your side... I was wrong, Allen, about everything. You were never to blame, none of this was your fault. I was the source of both of our suffering." Sitting down on the floor, he put his arms on his knees and sighed.

"Which is why the next choice is yours, and I will respect it, regardless of what it is. Stay, leave, yell, cry, talk... It doesn't matter. Hell, punch me if you want, I deserve it and I'll only be angry if you hold back. But I took control of everything for almost two decades. No more. This decision is yours, and everyone here will back you up, whatever you decide. Don't worry about retaliation or recrimination, this needs to happen. What do you want?" Allen crossed his arms across his chest and thought, and gave Lys a stern look.

"Fine. I've made my decision."

"Good. Whatever you want."

"I want to be your friend again."

"Even after I-"

"Although there is one last thing to take care of," he interrupted, cracking his knuckles. Lys chuckled and nodded.

"Fair enough. Don't hold back. You've earned it."

"Good, because if you're still as ticklish as I remember then I'm going to enjoy this very much."

"What? No, wait! AHH! HELP!" Lys tried to get away, but Allen knelt on his chest, smirking gleefully, as the taller man laughed uncontrollably.

"I thought you said that you weren't going to run away. Take your punishment like you promised!"

"No WAY," Sam said, with his biggest grin, "he's ticklish? Lemme help, you're losing this battle."

"Sam, you ass- Gah!" Sam grabbed Lys's wrists, allowing Allen to work, much to the delight of their friends. Completely pinned, Lys could only swear at them (very creatively and in several languages) in between gasps of laughter, ineffectively trying to break free. After a minute or two, Allen stood up and folded his arms across his chest again, mimicking Sam's smile.

"There, we're even now."

"...You....bastards..." Lys gasped, still giggling and wiping tears from his eyes, too weak to sit up. Sam and Allen pulled him to his feet, offering support for a moment as he caught his balance, and staggering themselves as Lys hugged them both. "You both are my awful little brothers and I love you so much anyway."

"Good. Remember, I'm to blame for half of what happened, Lys," Allen smiled, "stop taking the weight of the world on your shoulders all the damn time."

"...Responsibility."

"Hunh?" Lys flashed a smile at Elliott before hugging his friends again, and Sam broke loose to sit down again.

"Neither of us are to blame, but we both do have responsibility for what happened. So, I'm sorry for what I did, and I forgive you for what you did." Relief was etched into every line on Allen's face at these words.

"I'm sorry for everything and forgive you for the same. I just want to see you smile again." Naturally, Lys complied with this request and mussed with Allen's hair again.

"I've got my best friend back as well as a while group of new and amazing ones. All of the pain and anger is gone now, and I feel like I can do anything. Thanks for being the better person and reaching out. Now let me cover a couple of drinks for you and introduce you to everyone properly." He sat Allen down between himself and Sam, and went around the table. When he got to Elliott at the end, Allen suddenly looked very introspective.

"Wait, I'm reminded of something but..." Knowing exactly what his friend was thinking of, he pulled out his phone and tapped a few icons.

"Is this what you're thinking of?" Allen glanced at the cover of the e-book and his jaw dropped.

"So I was right, I did see that the other day! You got published? And married? Damn, Lys, you move fast!" The matching expressions of baffled surprise from the two authors elicited more laughter from the rest of the table and confusion from Allen. Lys and Elliott glanced at each other and broke down laughing as well.

"No, mate, not quite. We got published, yes, but we're only dating. Here, I'll pour you a drink, Elliott can tell this story." Sebastian stood up to grab the next round of beverages as Elliott and Lys took turns filling in the tale, which segued into everyone else grilling Allen for stories from when he and Lys were growing up.

Alkanthe and Gabaw like this.
                              • Gabaw

Gabaw Spaceman Spiff

Wow that's a ton of dialogue. but it all makes sense. it's powerful and touching all at once. I'm personally breathing easier now that this is resolved and I can only imagine the burden off the shoulders of everyone involved. It's hard enough to make up with an old friend, much less one you also made out with. in addition considering how badly this all could have gone down, there's clear evidence that without Elliot things would have been very different. so cheers, all around!

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

I tend to switch into the whole "freeze" reaction once I get past "mild" of any kind of upset, and it takes a LOT more of the emotion to snap me into a different state, and it's usually verbally lashing out mid panic attack with no real ability to control what I say. (Which loops into me going non verbal again to avoid saying things I neither think nor actually want to say. It sometimes works.)

If you're talking about on the forum and the mention was early in the story, that may have also been me. As for anger atLys.... I certainly wanted to shake him a bit, but he seems to have punished himself enough physically without it helping him work towards resolution. With Allen the angers a bit more prevalent because, while I can understand it, dating while he was in the closet almost never ends well, and him putting that stressor on the relationship without informing Lys that it would be a factor was.... kind of both dumb and a jerk move. The additional lack of trust, on top of the lack of trust Allen admits to, about not talking about the prior relationships Lys had, is what earns him more of my life. It mostly comes down to frustration at his (almost literal) poor communication kills issues. I probably wouldn't physically act on it, and at most would shake him like I would Lys if I could get my hands on either of them.

That said, I do adore the dorky ginger and your writing very much.

Now that the two of them have made actual progress toward mending their relationship instead of both respectively self blaming, my agitation is much reduced with them. That said, good thing it didn't come down to Elliot having to physically sit on Lys to get him to listen. (....Well, he might have enjoyed that, but it wouldn't have helped progression toward mending the mess.)

Gabaw likes this.
                                  • Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

It was me...

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

Ah, sorry. I also made a post along those lines early on in the fic. Was in no way trying to exclude you. Sorry again.

• Risukage

I was concerned that this chapter would be too "wordy" and schmaltzy/saccharine, so hurrah. And yeah, Elliott is really a positive, balancing influence on him, and has a fair idea now of how to properly guide and change the situation.

No worries, either of you! I was talking to someone else on chat the other day and they made a similar remark (as well as someone in the AO3 version), and my comment was in reference to Monday's chapter. I wasn't calling anyone out or being insulting! *HUGS!!* I was also a little tired when typing up the commentary before I posted, so I may have implied something that I didn't intend to. (Also, after nearly sixty chapters it's sorta impressive that anyone at all remembers previous thread conversations!) Regardless, it's just interesting to me that several people made observations that were pretty close to each other, so it tells me that I'm doing something right.

YES! EXACTLY! And that's something that's giving me confidence about my style and ability to tell a story; creating characters with believable flaws and traits, and actions/reactions that feel plausible. They both ended up doing a lot of things that were wrong in retrospect, but what's important is that they learned from those moments and chose to use those lessons to become better people and reach back to resolve the old conflict, rather than become bitter and distant. Love is amazing and can inspire you to do brilliant things, but it can also be scary...

Communication is one of the biggest parts of a successful relationship, and you saw that with Lys/Allen back in college; they weren't completely honest with themselves and each other and things just went wrong. Lys learned from that, and after some soul-searching has got a much healthier relationship with Elliott. He's still not quite there yet, as we saw when Elliott learned about the "video," but that's part of being human and growing, and they resolved the issue in a mature fashion. Likewise, Allen had the courage to try to reconcile, even knowing that he might be told to go away, but he knew that it was the right thing to do. Lys understood that (once Elliott knocked a bit of sense into him so he'd quit being emo about it), and made the right choice to learn from and leave the past behind to focus on a better future. Heh, I mean, this whole story is all about communication in some fashion; between friends, family, lovers, strangers, and not just talking to someone, it's also about that unspoken energy that you feel between performer/author/musician and audience as well. Perhaps I should have titled this fic as "Rose and Sunflower: Communication and Connections." :D

And just remember: making mistakes is part of being human. It's what you do afterward and how you try to resolve the situation that are what make you who you are and a better person.

<3 !

Heh, like I said at the top of this post, Elliott has a pretty good idea of how to nudge Lys in the right direction, and sitting on him, while amusing, usually only annoys him. Hugs, though? Lys never turns down hugs! :p

Alkanthe likes this.
                                        • Risukage

//First, I just need to give a bit of credit to @Kid Absurdity and @MagicallyClueless for inspiring almost half of Sam's dialogue in this chapter. Their snark and hilarity gave me the seeds I needed to grow this crop of shenanigans. Second, well, I've got nothing. Just enjoy some friends sharing stories and bonding, as I've FINALLY got a place to use a few last bits of funny/snappy dialogue I've had in mind for ages.//

"You're joking, Lynn really asked you two that in front of everyone else?" Allen laughed, as Lys related the rest of the evening after their first gig.

"Yup, you know how mom is. But after the grilling that Liz gave to me I think I was allowed to enjoy Elliott being a little embarrassed," snickered Lys, shooting a glance at his partner, who shook his head, unamused.

"Oh, hey, finish that story you were telling when they came back," Sam prompted, poking Allen in the arm.

"Mm? What were you telling them?" Lys queried, pouring a fresh glass. Allen grinned at him from over the rim of his.

"The haunted house story." Lys groaned and put his face in a hand.

"For the love of... You know what? This is part of my penance. Go on, finish it, it's not like Sam doesn't have enough material with which he can give me grief." Allen laughed and gleefully finished the story, leaving Sam giggling in delight.

"Oh man, you have the greatest reactions around spiders! Even fake ones!" Lys made a noise of irritation and gave him a look of the same.

"Yeah, it's almost as funny as your face when I go into great detail about certain...subjects..." Sam immediately shut up and went rather pale, then pointed a shaky finger at him, sputtering in exasperation.

"Y- y- you don't play fair! That wasn't cool, dude!"

"Oh?" Lys replied, raising an eyebrow at him, "you should know better by now than to ask me a question unless you're completely certain that you want an answer." Perplexed, Elliott prompted Lys to explain himself. "Nothing big, love, he just ran into me the other day when I was buying 'protection' for us and tried to give me sass about it." Sam now turned a very bright shade of pink and sputtered again as Lys continued. "So I decided to give him a bit of an education about various items and their uses, just in case. Sam, can you tell us what you learned?" The blonde man suddenly got a very distant look as he held his glass with both hands.

"I now know the difference between water-based and silicone-based lubricants and their proper usages." He put his chin in his hands and continued to stare, the look of a man who has seen too much. "I don't know what to do with this information. I never wanted this kind of power." Lys cackled at Sam's reply and took a long drink. Allen gave his old friend a look of surprise and awe.

"Bloody hell, Lys, you're just effing ruthless. No wonder nobody ever fought you a second time."

"You two are obnoxious little brothers and for some reason we all still put up with you," Sebastian smirked, and Allen nodded in affirmation.

"Lys was always the protective but irritating older brother. I already get the impression that Sam is the little brother that none of us had."

"Oh, dude, I bet if I dyed myself red we'd be awesome twins," Sam grinned, "and if Sebby stopped dying his we'd be kickass triplets."

"I don't dye my hair, you ass."

"It's okay, dude, we all know you're secretly sexy red and not emo black, you can tell us."

"UGH."

"It's all good, Sam," Lys giggled, "we'll be hot ginger twins together, Sebastian can just be jealous on his own. Hey, love, what do you think of hooking up with me and my hot, younger adopted brother? I've got an idea and it rhymes with 'gleesome.'"

"I think that you are delightfully intoxicated and are trying to provoke a reaction from me," Elliott replied with a straight face, kissing his partner on the top of the head.

"You two are absolute terrors," Allen laughed, finishing his glass, "and I'm glad I only grew up with you, Lys, the both of you would have driven me crazy."

"Not touching you," Sam said, holding his finger close to Allen's face.

"Not touching you, too," said Lys, doing the same on the other side. Allen looked between them for a moment and sighed as the two men continued their game.

"Not touching you again."

"Not touching you, either."

"I was not touching him first."

"I was not not-touching him first."

"I wasn't not touching him first!"

"I wasn't not not-touching him first!"

"Yah!"

"AUGH!"

Allen and Elliott watched impassively as Sam jumped out of his chair to tackle Lys out of his onto the floor, tickling him fiercely again. They exchanged a glance of resignation, sighed and rolled their eyes, and refilled their glasses.

"You two seem to be happy together," remarked Allen, addressing Elliott, "though I hope you don't mind me asking, does he still snore? Because that was one of the few downsides of dating him." Sam had finally stopped tormenting Lys and had helped him back to his chair. Elliott chuckled fondly and brushed loose hairs from out of Lys's face and behind his ear.

"Not often, but when he does I am often awoken and find myself unable to return to slumber."

"Heh, it's nice to know that some things haven't changed. I've lost count of how many times I wanted to smother him with a pillow."

"You aren't the only one," Lys smiled, wiping his eyes as he calmed back down, "remember the time that they actually tried?"

"Wait, you don't remember who it was?" Sam asked, continuing to wear his snarky grin.

"No, 'they' as in 'both of them.'" Allen nodded in affirmation.

"Yeah, I remember that, didn't you-"

"Shh! Don't ruin it!" Lys interrupted, wearing Sam's grin but twice as wide.

"Oh, dude, you can't leave me hanging like that. And you were there too, Allen? I knew you were an adventurous date, Lys, but damn!"

"It's only a one-beer story, mate, but I'll give you a little teaser: twins." Allen laughed, recalling the story and the context, as well as what was being implied.

"Don't do me like this, dude. C'mon, Allen, throw me a bone, here, I gotta hear this." Allen thought and reclined in his chair.

"Like he said, just a one-beer story. And yes, I was there. So technically this is a two-beer story."

"Augh, fine, you win, next round is on me." Returning with the pitcher, he set it down in front of Lys and Allen. "There, now tell me, I've got to hear this." Lys looked thoughtful as Allen giggled into his glass.

"It was last year, during the last run of one play at the theater, and I'd been doing performances and classes all week nonstop, so I was simply exhausted. Allen had stopped by to drop off something that I'd left at his place and stayed to chat a bit with some of our friends, because I'd passed out for a nap in the green room prior to start time. Apparently I started sawing logs pretty bad, 'cause at some point two of the girls there had had enough of my noise and stuffed a pillow in my face." He took a long drink of his beer as Allen continued to laugh, and Sam stared at them both.

"That's not sexy or naughty at all. That's positively normal. I just got proper swerved on. I'm not even mad, I got wrecked by my own expectations. Fistbump, dudes."

Conversations and stories continued to flow around the table, mostly from the group of friends demanding more stories from Allen and Lys about their past. Eventually they all felt the fatigue of the day and festivities and began to reach for cold weather gear. Lys took his time, greeting everyone one last time as they departed with hugs; Sam barely resisted the urge to tickle him again, only because he interrupted himself with a yawn, and accepted the hug from his friend. Penny giggled politely as Lys tried to hug her gently, as she was much smaller and shorter than him. Abigail and Sebastian needed no such restrictions, but Lys was still careful all the same. Haley kissed him on the cheek and waited for Alex to put down his cousin, who had been picked up in a back-popping bear hug.

"Cor, mate, you're the only person that can manhandle me like that. Proper impressive. Ah, also, sorry if I kinda overshadowed your big news, that was a bit rude of me, yeah?" Alex's smile was warm and friendly as he ruffled his cousin's hair.

"Are you kidding? You finally got all of that emo shit out of your system and cleared things up with an old friend. I'm happy that you're past all of that crap you went through. Maybe now all of that tangle in your head will finally go away."

"Yeah, true. I'm already feeling so much better, I almost can't describe it. See you tomorrow like usual?"

"Will do. Not sure what we'll do with the snow, but we'll figure it out in the morning."

"Cheers, then, sleep well." Lys turned to Elliott and Allen, who had just finished the last of their preparations, and accepted Elliott's help in shrugging into his own jacket. "Time for us all to get going as well. Though, I hope you'll visit again, Allen, it's good to have you back, and I'd love to show you around."

"I'll have to do that. Where do you live?" he asked, following them outside and holding closed the collar of his coat against the chill.

"Remember grandpa's farm? It's mine now."

"What? You inherited Sommerlied Farm? I remember the summer that we visited; you fell out of a tree and broke your arm so badly your wrist touched your elbow. I'm amazed you weren't in greater pain. Though it was funny how you were so mad that you had such a bad injury but wouldn't have a cool scar to show for it later."

"Ha! Yup, I was lucky that grandpa knew how to set bones, and was able to get it back in place before any swelling or other damage could set in. Heh, I'm amazed I'm not just a mess of scars from all I did back then. Here, pull up a map of the area. Okay, so there's the main road, we're here, the farm is right there."

"Oh, that's right close, isn't it? I'll drop in again some time. I'll message first, though. ...You still have the same number, don't you?"

"I do, and I've still got you in there. Despite everything that happened I couldn't bring myself to delete your information." Allen chuckled at this and looked very distant and sad for a moment.

"Lys, I... There's something I want to mention but didn't want to say in front of everyone else."

"Shall I give you some privacy, then?" Elliott asked, and Allen shook his head.

"No, it's okay. Rather, I want you here, so you know everything that happened. You deserve to know. I don't want you to make the same mistakes I did."

"What's up, mate? You look pretty serious."

"...Remember when I said earlier that I was 'this close to following you?' It wasn't for a lack of effort. I didn't know if you'd survive, as you'd lost so much blood as well as your will to fight. It was all my fault. I'd killed my own best friend, the closest person I'd ever known and loved. I got to my own home and... I tried to overdose. I didn't succeed, I just made myself badly sick, but I ended up in the hospital as well for it. My parents were frantic, and even more so when I wouldn't tell them why. Eventually the only thing I told them was that I'd had a bad breakup, but wouldn't tell them anything else or who it was with. That's why I didn't try to see you in the hospital, Lys, because not only was I there myself, I didn't even know you'd survived long enough to be admitted yourself. By the time I found out that you had recovered it had already been almost a week, and since you hadn't tried to call me, I..." He trailed off, shoulders shaking, sniffing back tears. Lys pulled him into a hug, resting his friend's head on his shoulder as he provided support.

"I didn't know about that. I didn't talk to anyone, so I had no idea about your condition. When you didn't try to reach me I assumed that you never wanted to speak to me again. By the light, Allen, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, I nearly got the both of us killed and-"

"Stop that," Allen snarled, punching Lys gently in the ribs, "we're both to blame- No, not blame. You said it, we both have responsibility. We've already made peace with all of it. Time to move on. And I still don't know what I felt for you back then. More than a friend, not enough for a lover. Just...I don't know. It wasn't romantic, but I always felt warm and safe and happy around you. Everything was just better with you around. I mean, I don't know who I'm attracted to, men or women, maybe nobody, I guess. And looking back, I wasn't interested in you, not like that. I just wish that I'd had the courage to try to say it back then." Smiling fondly, Lys mussed with his friend's hair again.

"If you had the courage back then you'd probably not be the person that I was friends with, you'd be different. And I've been thinking about your words all night, and... I understand, because I can't find the words, either. I thought I loved you, but I didn't, not in that way. I've found romantic love here," he chuckled, lacing his fingers with Elliott's, "and it's amazing and wonderful. I know what it is now, and that's not what I felt back then. But that's what I thought it was, at least for a while. I had started to have doubts, and then we started getting distant, and I began to worry, wondering what I'd done wrong, concerned that I was wrong, that it wasn't love, or if it was, it was one-sided. So much noise, so much that went wrong, because I wasn't honest with either of us and I was too scared to try to approach the issue head-on."

"I'm glad I came out here today. I was terrified, but I was also tired of being a coward and running from everything. I just wanted to stand on my own for once, to do the right thing, even if it was scary. I just had to see you again, even if it was for the last time. And I'm happy to have met you, Elliott, you're a good man and I'm glad to see that you've made Lys happy." He extended a hand, which Elliott accepted and clasped between both of his.

"Likewise, I am not only delighted but grateful to have made your acquaintance. It has weighed heavily upon my mind for some time who it was to thank for summoning medical assistance to his aid, and I must express my deepest and most heartfelt thanks for your intervention. You have been a pleasure to converse with tonight and I anticipate the opportunity to do so again in the future. Please do not find yourself a stranger in this town or his home." Allen stared at him, quite impressed.

"Damn, Lys, I can see why you fell for him so hard. Even I'm getting a bit hot for him right now. But I'll have to take you up on your offer to visit later, I need to get going." Lys wrapped his friend in a hug once more, chuckling happily, and-

"Sorry, I nearly tried to kiss you there, bad habits."

"No worries," Allen replied, "I almost did the same. I may not have been interested but you were amazing at that." Smiling, Elliott patted them both on the shoulder.

"Take your time and do what you both need to in order to achieve closure. I shall wait over here." He turned and walked away, stopping with his back to them, casually inspecting the snow that was beginning to fall. Allen watched him for a moment and chuckled to himself.

"You really did find someone amazing. I'm happy for you. Though, I don't mind, just once more for old time's sake..." Lys took a moment to commit everything to memory; touch, sight, sound, scent, before he leaned in one last time. That old, familiar warmth and sensation almost hurt, but it was also welcome, and he wrapped himself in it, knowing it would be the last time, which didn't hurt at all. Allen gripped Lys's arms for support when the taller man finally let him catch his breath.

"Just...wow... I'd forgotten just how good you were. Elliott is a very lucky man."

"Yeah, he is. Be safe out there, okay? Message me when you get home, the roads are dangerous out there right now."

"Will do. Sleep well, Lys, g'nite."

"...Goodbye..."

He pulled up his jacket hood and watched as Allen turned to follow the path, brushing Elliott's arm to get his attention to wish him a farewell, and then followed the road away into the night. His vision suddenly blurred, and he hastily wiped away tears. Elliott noticed this and approached him with concern.

"Dear, is something the- Ah!" Smiling strangely, Lys allowed himself to collapse backwards into the snow, as Elliott barely missed trying to catch him. "What is wrong? Did he say something-"

"No," he whispered, wiping away further tears, "no, it's okay. Everything's okay. I'm... I just feel dizzy and happy and light and just overwhelmed and empty at the same time. It's all a bit crazy right now. It's all over, love, it's gone; the pain, the hate, the anger... I know the truth of all sides and what happened, and now I'm properly free. Everything is right now." Sighing with relief, Elliott assisted Lys to his feet when he extended a hand for help.

"Let us return to your home; it is simply frigid out here."

Hand-in-hand, they made the best time they could through the snow, which was gently and lightly falling around them. They paused just inside the door in order to remove their boots and set them on a mat where they could dry, and not track any dirt or slush through the house. It was still warm in there, owing to good insulation and the fire that Lys had stoked before they had left. He rekindled it and set another couple of logs to burn before joining Elliott, who had just removed his shirt and draped it over the back of a chair. Lys undressed a bit more quickly and haphazardly, yawning broadly as he dropped onto the bed on his side and pulled the sheet over himself.

"Merry hell, I didn't do much today, but I'm just completely wiped." Elliott finished removing his garments as well, shut off the light, and joined him, curling around Lys from behind, who appreciated the warmth.

"You had several moments of great stress and anxiety, in addition to those of euphoria. It was a taxing day for you, physically and mentally."

"Mm, true." He felt himself begin to drift off as Elliott secured the blanket over the both of them and put his arm around his waist, holding his hand again. "And at the end of the day, I wouldn't change a thing."