Other [FanFic] Rose & Sunflower: The Music Within (Updates MWF) -Ch 64/64 [30 September] -COMPLETE-

Discussion in 'Fan Works' started by Risukage, May 7, 2016.

1. Risukage

Risukage Giant Laser Beams

Just a bit more self-indulgent trash, because I'm trash, and I can't be stopped. :D

I like your focus on writing better; it sticks to more of SDV's themes, where this almost feels like I'm going too far away from the "canon" story, as it were. Was trying to stick closer to music, and then this happened. Oh well!

Gabaw and Alkanthe like this.
    • Kid Absurdity

Kid Absurdity Big Damn Hero

I see it more as that your story has grown in scope in a reasonably organic way. It's less about Lys leaving his self-imposed shell now, and more about him also dragging most of the town out of their isolation.

Gabaw, Risukage and Alkanthe like this.
      • Risukage

//I wanted to throw this in for a while but wasn't sure. Then a very nice commenter on AO3 piped up with my own headcanon before it went into the story, so it's happening. This is now a thing, and also a race to see how quickly I can lose readers before this story finishes. Also, clearly, I am stalling for time by doing more character-development and backstory rather than pushing the main story. Yup, I am SO going to lose readers. :D//

The next afternoon the group sat around a table at the saloon, sharing a couple of pitchers of beer as they coordinated the day of their first public performance. Lys typed out a message on his phone, replying to his dad.

“Okay, I’ve got the info that dad will need, so gimmie a sec and… Sent, we’re good to go. So, how does it feel to know that we’re going to be performing live as a proper band in a couple of weeks?”

“It feels like a weird dream,” Sam remarked, a beer in one hand and his chin in the other, “I’ve wanted and worked for this for years, but never actually expected it to happen.”

“Well, I’m happy that I’m able to make this a reality. Good thing that dad has the inside lead on that spot, because yesterday was fun but not a success for any of us. Even me, and I’ve performed in some capacity all over that area.”

“Yeah, you’ve done a bit of everything. Theater, music, dance... You’ve probably also done film, too, haven’t you?” Lys’s eyebrows went up and he didn’t immediately respond, uncharacteristically surprised.

“Um, yes, actually.” He took a hasty gulp of his beer to try to cover for his pause, and Sam laughed raucously and jabbed him with a friendly elbow, wearing his ever-present face-splitting grin.

“Ha! Man, I’m not surprised. Though I figure that with your history you’d be doing movies of a naughtier sort instead of some artsy crap.” Lys choked on his drink, and Sam gave him a funny look. “Dude, I’m just funning you and you know it.” Even though he was a skilled actor, Lys had a terrible poker face, and the hesitation as he tried to think of an answer told the one that he didn’t want to give. “...You didn’t actually… Dude, no way.”

The table went silent and he picked up and set down his glass a couple of times before sighing and rubbing a hand over his eyes.

“Okay, fine. We’re all mature and friends, so I’ll just tell it like it is. Yes, I was a performer in a film of an adult nature a few years back. End of story.” The silence grew even deeper, though it was thoughtful instead of judgemental, but nobody was willing to break it as they weren’t sure what to say. Lys glanced over and saw Elliott’s look of complete shock, then realized something.

“Love, I know I-”

“It’s… This is a…” Pushing back his chair, he stood up and grabbed his partner’s wrist, heading for the door.

“Back in a few, just need a minute.” Outside in the chill fall air, Lys rubbed his arms as he sighed again and tried to figure out where to begin, but Elliott beat him to it.

“So when were you going to tell me?” Again, Lys hesitated. “You weren’t were you?”

“I didn’t think you’d…”

“What? That I wouldn’t understand? That I’d be angry?”

“I could handle that. I...thought that you would be disappointed.”

“How? Why?”

“Because… Screw it, I don’t know, it was a stupid concern.” Still unable to meet his gaze, Lys stared at the ground, his arms wrapped around himself.

“No, you had a reason. You always do.” Glancing up, Lys could meet the fierce blue stare for only a moment.

“You know why.”

“No, I don’t, which is why I want you to tell me.” Lys gripped his arms tightly, looking for the right words.

“You’re posh, love. You come from a prosperous family with a good name. I thought that you would, well…”

“So? That doesn’t-” Elliott cut himself off and took a deep breath to sort his thoughts. “Dear, I have already told you that I don’t care what you did in your past. I love you for who you are now, and that includes everything that has happened, because every event and decision has contributed a piece to create your gestalt. Look at me,” he tilted Lys’s chin up to look him in the eyes again, “I’m not disappointed. I promise. Confused? Yes. Surprised? Extremely so. Mostly I am feeling hurt in that you did not trust me enough to tell me about this sooner. I will not condemn you for things that happened before we met. You know that I am not bothered by your lengthy history of lovers. Why do you think that I would think aversely of you for this?”

“This is different. At least with other people it was because I was romantically involved in some way and was personal. This was basically getting paid to shag, and I thought that you’d look down upon it. That you’d think I was cheap and easy.”

“I come from a business-oriented family that owns a theater. I can at least understand being paid for a performance, regardless of its nature.” Lys smiled at the jest and Elliott returned it. “That’s what I wanted to see, dear. The only thing I do not understand is the why. That’s what I want to know.” Lys put his hands in his pockets and leaned against the wall, already less tense than he was when they had gone outside.

“Because I thought it might be fun. Why else do I do anything, really? To get the details out of the way, I was not coerced or made to do anything without my consent, it was all completely of my own volition. Everyone present used protection. I did not use my real name, and it cannot be easily traced back to me, because it was not released digitally, just in a small hard-format batch. Nobody else knows about it. I just saw an advert and thought, why not? Hell, it would be the first time any of my skills could actually be useful and generate income.” Elliott laughed, and Lys put a hand on his face and an arm around his waist. “That’s what I wanted to see, too. But you know me, love, I’m all about trying new things, and back then, it’s not like a had a good reputation anyway. I thought I might as well have a bit of fun while I was young, and like I said yesterday, I didn’t think anyone would be interested in me long-term or anything, so what did it matter? But now? You and your family have a good reputation, and I was concerned that word of this sort of thing would reflect badly on all of you.” Elliott pulled Lys completely into a hug, who relaxed into his arms.

“One of the many things that I love about you is your unwavering confidence in yourself and your abilities. I cannot imagine myself doing that, no, but I do not think any less of you for it.”

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you about this sooner. I should know better by now.”

“I have learned something new about you, and yet again I am fascinated by your history.”

“If anything else comes to mind that you should know I won’t hesitate to tell you again. You should know all about my past, because I want to share my future with you.”

“Thank you, dear. I just wish that I had more to share with you as well.” He brushed a lock of hair behind Lys’s ear, who once again gave him that warm smile that he only gave to him.

“Well, I suppose the least that I can do is show it to you. It’s buried somewhere but shouldn’t take me too long to dig up.”

“...Pardon?” Lys now grinned with mischief and amusement.

“You really think that I wouldn’t keep a copy for myself?”

“The thought had crossed my mind, but…”

“But you were too embarrassed to ask? No, that’s not the word for it. You’re too polite to ask. You know what? I’m going to be impartial about it. I’ll show it to you, but I promise not to be lecherous, perverted, or the least bit seductive at any time. I want you to know everything about me and be comfortable about it. And again, don’t worry, this can’t be found anywhere online or anything, so you don’t have to worry about something like your mom discovering it. Although,” he mused, his grin of mischief widening, “I wonder if it would be more amusing for her to find out about this, or if we made our own film together and left it lying around.” Elliott made a strangled noise of horror and panic as he blushed deeply, making Lys laugh until he wiped tears from his eyes.

“Oh wow, I should feel bad about that, but I wish you could have seen your face just then.”

“By the light, please don’t joke about things like that, dear!”

“I’m sorry, I really am, but I could not pass up that opportunity. And I know you’re not an exhibitionist, so I won’t suggest that sort of thing again. The thought of it is funnier than you know.”

“If you are done being amused at my expense once more, we should get back to everyone.” Lys kissed him lightly and took his hand.

“Right, and I’ll take care of Sam, because I just know he’s not going to give up easily.”

Returning to the table, Lys was correct, and shot Sam a look that plainly told him to back off. He topped off the beer that he had left behind when he left and refilled Elliott’s.

“Now that that’s settled, where were we?”

“You were going to tell us how you’re a-”

“That’s none of your damn business and you know it,” Lys rebuffed, softly but with an edge.

“Okay, fair enough. Hey, you should change your Chatter name to ‘G-String’ instead!” The softness in Lys’s voice melted away to a sharp snap.

Samson.” The blonde man sighed and shrugged.

“Yeah, you’re right. Sorry, dude, I sometimes have a hard time letting go of something really funny or interesting. And you’re both. I’m not giving you shit most of the time, usually I’m genuinely curious. You’re the only person in this town that’s weirder than I am and that’s so cool.”

“That’s sweet of you, but I’m not ‘cool,’” Lys chuckled into his beer.

“Don’t give me that crap. You believe in yourself and your abilities a hundred percent. I mean, damn, I’m outgoing, but you’re the one who got up and danced for the entire town a few months ago. Sorry about shoving you out there, Elliott, that was kinda rude of me,” Sam laughed at the memory and gave Elliott a look of apology, “but still, I mean, not much bothers me, but the thought of that kind of thing terrifies me, and you just went out there and owned that stage.”

“I… Really, Sam, it’s great of you, but I’m not cool or interesting, I’m just weird.” He was about to take a sip of his beer when he felt Sam slap him upside the back of the head.

“Quit being a dumbass and so modest about everything.”

“No, seriously, I’m not.”

“Okay, fine, I’m just buzzed enough that I’ll stroke your ego. Elliott can stroke something else for you later.” Caught very off-guard, Lys didn’t have a reply, which Sam would have ignored anyway as he ticked off points on his fingers. “You’re a kickass musician, dancer, and vocalist. You’re not scared to do anything and will try pretty much anything once. You’re dating the hottest guy in town and we ain’t even mad. Further, you genuinely believe in others and do your best to make them succeed and feel good about themselves. We’re all better people just because you told us we could be, and you’re so damn honest and enthusiastic that not only did we believe it, we didn’t want to disappoint you. So shut your noise-hole, dude, you’re totally my cool older brother and I’ll slap you again if you give me lip about it.” Before Sam could retrieve his glass Lys wrapped him in a tight, warm hug, fingers digging into his jacket. “Dude, what’s up?”

“Sorry. Nothing. Everything. I…” Lys kissed him on the cheek and ruffled his hair before scrubbing a sleeve across his own eyes. “I’m who I am because a long time ago I figured, ‘why the hell not?’ I was always the weird outcast, and I never had any dreams or desires for the future. I honestly figured I’d die young and alone, so what I did never really mattered, so why not do whatever? Have some fun, do a few things really well, burn my candle short but bright and brilliant. And even though nobody ever took me seriously I still wanted to help them out. That feeling when…” His eyes unfocused as he held his glass in both hands, rubbing his thumb against the condensation on the side.

“You know that feeling you get when it’s just you and someone else? Someone special, and there’s this warmth that you both create together. Feeling each others’ heart beat as you hold each other close, when they softly run their fingers down your face to your neck to your shoulder and it leaves that electric tingle behind, and it fills you up and makes you feel both so light and solid at the same time. I live for that sort of feeling, and I want to share it. I just want everyone to know that sort of happiness, at least once, and all I want in return is a smile, because I was able to show them something amazing and wonderful, and they can now share that with someone else.” He glanced up and blushed, something that nobody could recall him doing before. “Anyway… So… Right.” Elliott took his hand, lacing their fingers together silently.

“You all know what Lysander and I were up to yesterday, but I do not know your stories,” Elliott spoke up, taking the pressure of conversation off of Lys, who squeezed his hand in appreciation, “however, it appears that everyone had a good day as well. I will pick up the next round if someone will regale us with their adventures.”

As they departed that evening, Sebastian stopped Lys outside the saloon.

“Hey, just want to say that I didn’t quite get it before, and I was a bit of a self-absorbed ass about it sometimes, but I understand now. Thanks for sharing that with me.”

“It’s okay, I wasn’t respecting your personal space, I-”

“Lys, you’re not listening.” He punched him in the shoulder, giving him a smile that actually touched his violet eyes, something that took the other musician aback.

“I guess I wasn’t,” he replied, finally comprehending the subtext, “thanks for sharing that with me, too.” Sebastian’s smile brightened a bit further, and he gave Elliott a fistbump before lighting a cigarette for the walk home.

“C’mon, love, I’m in the mood for a walk and it’s lovely out tonight,” Lys said, reaching for Elliott’s hand again, “let’s take the long way home.”

• WATERTHOOOOOSSEE

WATERTHOOOOOSSEE Phantasmal Quasar

Ah,calling people sharply by their whole names,works 99.89% of the time!

• Risukage

Well, this was simply the usage of a proper first name instead of a nickname, which has only a 70% chance of success normally. First and last name brings that rate to a decent 85%, but invoking the Dreaded Middle Name in addition is nearly a 100% chance of results, though there is the risk unexpected side effects. See chapter 16 and Sebastian's "tactical nuke" usage of Lys's full name. :p

Alkanthe likes this.
            • Gabaw

Gabaw Spaceman Spiff

Oh geez he pulled out the personal copy. or offered to :p well if nothing else it was a detailed discussion afterward about it and they laid their cards on the table. when Lys is in involved there's always some fragment left of that skeleton in the closet!

Risukage and ApertureGaming011 like this.
              • WATERTHOOOOOSSEE

WATERTHOOOOOSSEE Phantasmal Quasar

I think Sam's not the only one interested in Lys..."Naughty" film.Like,i didn't expect that he actually did one and it has caught the attention of my dirty mind.The dark side of my mind.

Gabaw likes this.
                • Risukage

*Laughs.* Well, that is the question, isn't it? Is Sam curious because he enjoys annoying Lys, because he genuinely is interested in viewing said film, or is it the morbid curiosity of "no way, this has to be seen to be believed." And if I successfully made someone imagine, well, that, then muahahahaha! It cannot be unseen! My dominion over you lesser mortals grows stronger!

I may also be loopy from a lack of sleep, and that writing Wednesday's chapter was very entertaining.

• Risukage

//This chapter was so much fun to write, and I think you all will understand why. (Once you get past the opening scene, anyway.) I also listened to the soundtracks for Free! Iwatobi Swim Club the entire time (...I think you all will also understand why...), and it just NAILED the mood. I really do need to give the Sunshine Boy more screen time like this; he and Lysander are so much fun when they're behaving like brothers. Also, for further immersion, pop over to the finely-crafted link below to listen to the track that is the perfect background for these shenanigans once they get to the lake. Give me all the crap you want to for being a massive weaboo, but Free! has amazing music and it's got a home on all of my devices.

See you all again Friday!//

Elliott woke up as Lys jolted against him. Raising himself slightly on one arm, he leaned over to check on his partner, whose back had been firmly pressed against his chest a moment earlier. Again, Lys twitched, and the distress on his face spoke of someone deep in a nightmare. Concerned, he sat up completely, but before he could attempt to wake him Lys lashed out as he woke with a scream of terror. He put a hand to his neck, chest heaving as he drew deep, ragged breaths, then pulled it away to check for something.

“Dear, what-” Eyes wide with latent panic, he sharply turned to Elliott, and his eyes somehow got wider, though now the fear was softened by relief.

“Love, you’re- I thought you- I had- I…” Tears welled up as his shoulders shook. “By the light, you’re safe, I thought…” Elliott put a reassuring hand on Lys’s face, and he leaned into it, pressing himself closer with his own hand over Elliott’s. Elliott brushed aside Lys's hair with his other hand, providing the comforting touch that he knew his partner needed.

“I am here, and the nightmare is nothing more than a memory now. Talk to me.”

“I… You were…” Eyes shut tightly, he was unable to stem the tide of tears before collapsing into Elliot’s arms. “I don’t know what happened. Just… Something happened, and you’d died, and I didn’t know about it, I couldn’t help you, I was useless, and it hurt. Everything hurt. I couldn’t stop screaming.” Elliott held him close as Lys gasped out the story, face buried in his chest, almost incoherent from fear. “My mind, my heart, it all… Pain, so much pain… Like last time, I… I had to end the pain... I wasn’t strong enough, I couldn’t live without you, and I found the same knife… I’m sorry, I’m not strong enough. So weak… Sorry, I’m sorry, love…”

“You are not weak, you are a man of passion and action. You are capable of such great love and caring for others that you also feel their loss and pain just as strongly. And in dreams we are often given to extremes or to do things that we normally would not. Put your mind at ease; I am here and so are you, and I will be here for many years yet.” Lys had regained control of himself, though he still clung to his companion for support, not just of body, but mind and emotion. “But your fear now raises a shared one within me. Promise me that if something were to happen that you would continue on, that you would find someone new to make you happy.”

“Love, don’t-”

“Dearest, promise me.” He made Lys meet his eyes, knowing that he could never lie directly to him. “Please.”

“...I promise.”

“To?”

“...To keep going if something were to happen to you, and to find someone new.”

“Good.” He could feel the lingering pain and fear in Lys’s kiss, but the tension in his body had already washed away, and Lys slumped against him, mentally exhausted.

“I don’t have to be up for my run for a few hours, but I don’t know if I’ll be able to get back to sleep. I don’t know if I even want to try.”

“Stay with me. Even if you cannot sleep, let me provide you with a place to rest your mind.” Nodding, Lys waited for him to get comfortable again before resting his head on Elliott’s shoulder, draping himself across him, idly tracing the lines of his partner’s body with his fingertips as he tried to distract himself. The cold and emptiness that had been left behind in the aftermath of his nightmare melted away in Elliott’s warmth, as he pulled the blankets back over the both of them and rested a hand on Lys’s shoulder in a light hug.

“I thought that I was finally beyond all of those fears, that I was finally free.”

“As long as you love someone that concern will always be there. What matters is how you deal with it, and whether you learn to manage it or let it control you.” Despite his assertion that he would be unable to sleep, the comforting aura that the other man provided was enough to allow Lys to drift off again shortly, and Elliott was amused by his soft snoring before he went back to sleep himself.

“Hey, cuz, you’re looking rough. Elliott keep you extra busy last night?” Alex teased, seeing his cousin looking tired and drained.

“I wish. Just a really bad nightmare, kicked my ass. Not sure how I got back to sleep.” He saw the look on Alex’s face and smiled reassuringly. “It’s okay, I’m not going to go off like last time. Rather, I’m worried about it turning inward. I just… I really thought that I was free, that all of the fear and worry was behind me.” Alex saw him trace the scar on his neck without thinking and guessed at the context.

“You know, you have done a pretty good job of owning up to and conquering most of your past. Maybe I can help you with a bit more of it.”

“What do you have in mind?”

“Well, you still don’t know how to swim, right? There’s a lot of water around here and Elliott and I won’t always be around if you get in trouble.” Lys rubbed the back of his neck thoughtfully.

“That’s a salient point. I was able to walk out onto the docks just fine the other day, but I may just have been riding a bit of a euphoric high.” He thought about the night of the jellyfish migration and what had happened, and shuddered at the memory, feeling a cold chill race down his spine. “As scary as the thought of learning is, remembering that night is worse. But where would we go? It’s starting to get cold out so we won’t have much time, and I don’t recall there being any kind of pool here.”

“We don’t need one, there’s that lake south of your place that we can use; it should still be warm from the summer and won’t have unexpected currents or the like that a river or the ocean would.” Hesitantly, Lys mulled over the offer in his mind, rubbing his arms.

“Yeah. Yeah, let’s do that. Before I change my mind and back out in a panic.”

“Cool, let’s go this afternoon before practice; it’ll be the warmest part of the day, and we can get it over with quickly.” Lys took a very deep breath and let it out slowly.

“Right then, this afternoon. Thanks, Alex.” His cousin’s smile was bright and friendly as he hugged the smaller man.

“Gotta look out for family, and it’ll be nice to be able to show you something for once.”

As decided, that afternoon Lys met Alex at the lake to the south of his property. Elliott followed for moral support (and backup help), but the addition of the rest of the crew was a surprise.

“What are all of you doing here?” Sam grinned at him like usual.

“Well, he called Haley and me, so we hitched a ride, and I figured that Abby would want to get in on this, and she called Sebastian for a ride down, so here we all are!”

“...This is not the least bit encouraging.”

“It’s not meant to be, we’re here to have a laugh at your expense.”

“Freaking thanks, mate.” Lys pulled his shirt off over his head as he rolled his eyes, pausing as Sam and both girls cheered and whistled. Sebastian smirked and lit a cigarette, sitting next to but downwind of them.

“Aww yeah, take it off!” Abigail giggled.

Slower,” Sam leered. Lys shot all of them a look of annoyance before glancing over at Elliott, who smiled and shrugged.

“It’s not like I haven’t seen you do this before, dear. They’re quite lucky that they get to experience it as well.” Sniffing with bruised pride, Lys put his fists on his hips and shifted his weight to one foot, pouting in mock irritation.

“I’m genuinely not sure if I want to give you all a show for the fun of it, or deny you all that pleasure because you’re giving me grief about all of this.”

“Whoa, wait, are you actually offering to striptease for us?” Sam asked, his grin widening enough to catch flies if he wasn’t careful, “I think I have some single bills in my wallet.” Abigail and Haley giggled furiously, Elliott and Alex were unsuccessful in smothering laughter, and Lys gave them all an unamused look again. Taking off his own shirt, Alex threw it at Lys, catching him in the face.

“We don’t have all day, bro. Strip faster or I’ll have Elliott do it for you.”

“Whoo, naked time!” whooped Sam, also throwing his shirt at Lys, who made a noise of irritation and threw both back garments to their owners.

“Oh what the merry hell! Normally I wouldn’t object but I get the feeling that you’re all doing this at my expense.”

“Just a bit,” Sam replied, unlacing his shoes, “and I figured I could get one last swim in before it gets too cold out, with the added benefit of being a pain in your ass about it.” Abigail winked at Elliott.

“Looks like all of the guys are getting undressed. You, too, handsome, show some solidarity for your man. And it is cooler out, Sebby, so you can take off that hoodie for a bit.”

“There’s nothing that you can do that would get me to do that,” Sebastian deadpanned. Abigail leaned over and whispered something in his ear that made his eyes go very wide. “Although that is a very tempting offer.” Elliott sat down with them, shaking his head.

“I am not needed for this lesson, I am simply here for moral support. Besides, any state of undress on my behalf would only distract him, and he needs all of the focus he can get.”

“Says the man who hasn’t blinked since I started taking my pants off,” Lys rebuffed, unable to hide a smile as he let the waistband slowly slide down over his hip.

“Yeah, but Abigail is the one who needs to wipe her chin,” observed Sam, finally free of his shoes, and revealing a pair of brightly-colored swim shorts as he nearly fell over trying to remove his jeans. Haley giggled and bit her lip, looking past Lys, who turned and had a moment of quiet introspection.

“I’m really trying not to stare, especially since my boyfriend is right here and you’re my cousin, but damn if you don’t make pro swim gear look amazing.”

“Flattery won’t make you a better swimmer, cuz, and you better finish getting changed out or you’re going in the water like that.”

“Give me a damn minute, I wear boots, you know.”

“Hey, do it like you did in that film of yours!” Sam jeered, ducking a thrown boot. “Ooh, so it was an S&M movie? I didn’t know you were into that!” He ducked the other boot and dove into the water, laughing. Lys finally finished undressing, wearing a borrowed pair of swim shorts which he had worn under his normal clothes the same way Alex and Sam had, and took off his jewelry and sunglasses, placing them atop his clothes.

“About damn time. Ready?”

“Yeah, just- Waugh!!” Lys yelped in surprise as Alex picked him up around the waist, tucking him under his arm. “What are you- SCREW YOU NO.” He tried to escape the much stronger man’s grasp as Alex strode toward the water, not at all happy about the idea of being dropped in without the chance to acclimatize.

“It’s just a brief moment of discomfort and then it’s fine.”

“GET STUFFED PUT ME DOWN.”

“The water’s great, dude, c’mon in!” Sam waved, already having immersed himself and swimming around.

“HATE YOU BOTH- AUGH!!!” Alex entered the water smoothly, dragging Lys in with him, who somehow broke free and perched atop his shoulders, hissing like a cat.

“Get your ass in there!”

“I already did and my ass is cold.”

“Fine.”

“SONOVA-” Alex reached up and grappled him again, ducking completely under the water. They both disappeared for a moment, resurfacing together as Alex supported his cousin.

“There, not so bad, is it?” Lys clung to him, shivering through clenched teeth, almost leaving marks in the athlete’s shoulder as he refused to let go.

“So...much...hate…”

For the next half an hour Alex worked with Lys, as Sam swam around them, providing snarky commentary, while the other four sat on the grass at the lake edge and watched the show with amusement. Despite Alex’s best efforts to teach and Lys’s to learn, he failed to absorb the lessons, leaving him frustrated and apologetic. Alex met Sam’s eyes and nodded, a gesture that Lys didn’t see as he moved into the shallows where he could stand again.

“Damn it. Sorry, Alex, I really am, I’m trying to relax and focus, but I’m also having to fight years of ingrained fear and bad instincts. Give me a moment to catch my breath and clear my head and I’ll try again.” Sam swam back to shore, went over to Lys’s clothes, and put on his sunglasses.

“Pretty nice, dude, wicked cool style.” Gaping in shock, Lys was at a loss for words, but only for a moment.

“PUT THOSE BACK.” Sam gave him his cheekiest grin.

“Come and get them.” Diving effortlessly into the water, he swam with an easy freestyle stroke over to a rock in the lake and climbed up on it. “Oooh, look at me, I’m Lys, I’m a sexy ginger man, making all of you so hot, ooh.” He wiggled his hips suggestively, flexing and posing, and the lakeside crowd laughed uproariously, applauding the parody. Alex folded his arms across his chest and smiled in satisfaction as Lys snarled and entered the water in a neat dive and traversed the distance to Sam with the same freestyle stroke. Sam hooked a thumb in the waistband of his swim shorts, tugging at them as he traced a finger down his abs, winking at his audience.

“Awww yeah, you all know you want some of this luscious porn star up in your- Hey, where did Lys go?” The man in question had maneuvered silently around behind Sam, climbing up without being noticed.

“MINE!”

“SHIT!”

There was a loud splash followed by a tall column of water as Lys grabbed Sam and threw them both into the water. After a moment of fierce splashing Sam broke the surface, looking about for Lys, who came up right after, and put on the sunglasses that he had recovered.

“I said, mine.” Sam laughed with delight, slapping the water and flicking some at Lys.

“Kick ass, dude, you did it!”

“Did what?” It now occurred to Lys that not only was he successfully treading water, he was quite a way into the lake.

“Sorry to do that to you, but Alex called me in as an assist.” Alex chuckled, nodding to Sam in thanks.

“I noticed a while back that you learn by doing, but you also rely on and trust yourself and your instincts implicitly. The more you think about something the worse you do, so I just needed something, or someone, to distract you so you could let your training take over.” Laughing, Lys nearly dunked Sam underwater as he hugged him around the shoulders.

“You two are such wonderful jerks and I can’t thank you enough.” Sam returned the hug, dragging him along a few feet as he sculled along for a moment on his back.

“I’m just paying my debt for nearly getting you killed this summer. Now I can proper roughhouse with you like an older brother that I always wanted.” They splashed and shoved each other a bit more as they made their way back to Alex. Back on shore, Haley answered a message chime on her phone, drawing everyone’s attention.

“That’s Emily. She’ll be ready for you to try your outfits tomorrow.”

Gabaw, ApertureGaming011 and Alkanthe like this.
                    • Risukage

//And a happy Friday to everyone! Don't worry, today is the last day that they'll be in town; we'll pick back up with them on Monday in Zuzu City, getting ready for their first live gig. The Luau doesn't count, this is a proper performance. And once again I lament my lack of artistic skill (because I've been too lazy to practice lately!), 'case I kinda sorta really wanna draw all of them right now. Or at least Sebastian's coat, it looks effing sweet and I want to put it on (digital) paper so bad. Cheers!//

Early the next afternoon the band converged on Emily and Haley’s house, taking up seats around the living room, which had more than enough space to accommodate everyone comfortably. Emily was very nearly bouncing with anticipation, and Lys shared her grin of delight, but Sebastian looked even more reticent than usual.

“Mate, we all had creative input on our designs, it’s not like you’re going into this blind.”

“I know, but it still feels...weird. I’m not an actor like you, I can’t just put on a face and go.”

“You tabletop game, though, and I’ve seen you get into character. I think you can do this and make it brilliant. And worst case, Sam and I will be up front, so you can hide a bit if you need to.” Sebastian didn’t reply, but his silence was thoughtful, not sullen. Bustling back into the room with her arms full, Emily set down a pile of clothes on the coffee table.

“Okay, here are Lys’s, Sam’s, and Elliott’s. I’ll get Abby’s and Sebby’s right now, be right back.”

“Nifty. Well, let’s see if I’ve doomed us all or not,” Lys chuckled in good humor, pulling his shirt over his head, then pausing to laugh at himself, “ah, sorry, all, I keep forgetting.”

“Forgetting what?” asked Sam, grabbing his clothes from the stack, “that we’re not as eager as you are to get naked at random?”

“Well, that too, but I’m comfortable with myself as well as the rest of you, and I’m used to changing clothes in a mixed environment when doing theater, so I sometimes forget that other people have a bit more modesty and all than I do. Sorry, I’ll use another room.” Alex shrugged with indifference and folded his arms behind his head, reclining on the couch opposite him.

“I don’t care, but I’m used to locker rooms, and I’m not the one changing.” Emily returned with the last of the garments and spoke up, having overheard the conversation.

“Haley’s and my rooms are free, and the kitchen has a bit of space, too. Abby, take Haley’s room and Sebastian, you use mine.” Picking up his pile, Sam shot the bassist a smirk as he stood up.

“I’ll use the kitchen, it’s crowded in here, but you might wanna separate Lys and Elliott, don’t know what they’ll get up to alone together.”

“What, you mean in front of my cousin, his girlfriend, and her sister? You think very highly of my seduction abilities. I’ll stay in here, not many other places to go, to be honest.” Elliott stayed as well, similarly not bothered, and Haley appeared not to notice anyone, bent over her equipment and making notes on a laptop on a side table next to the couch. First to be fully dressed, Lys tugged at the material in a few places to check for fit and wear, quite satisfied with the results; everyone had the base garments of a black dress shirt and slacks, to make less work for Emily and to provide a level of uniformity to the group. Over it Lys wore a silk short-sleeved button-up in crimson red and left it undone, with red accents on the cuffs of the long-sleeved shirt and outside hem of the slacks. Examining himself in the mirror as he tucked in the long shirt and buckled the belt, he whistled in approval.

“You are brilliant, Emily, this fits perfectly, I don’t think I’ll need any adjustments.” The seamstress bustled over, in full tailoring mode, checking him extensively and thoroughly in a manner that though professional might leave someone a bit surprised.

“Even your pant cuffs? Nope, they’re the right length, and extend your arm, yup, sleeves are good, too. Not too tight or catching anywhere, but not baggy or loose either. You’re set! This is amazing!” She giggled with delight and bounced up and down a couple of times, a mannerism that Lys also saw in Haley, but was wise enough to not comment on. Elliott stepped over to the mirror as well, buttoning the dark blue waistcoat, also in silk, with a bright blue handkerchief neatly folded and poking out of the pocket. The same as Lys, blue accent work flowed around his cuffs and on the outer trouser hem, providing an icy contrast to Lys’s fire.

“I must also provide my accolades, and express my sincere apologies for not seeking out your services in the past for my tailoring needs. This looks and fits splendidly.”

“Dang, you two are looking posh up in here,” Sam observed, strolling out of the kitchen as he shrugged into a warm yellow blazer, likewise with the same accenting, “we’re starting to look like proper musicians. Hell, I feel like one already. You were right, dude. Funny how what we needed was an actor to show us how to be better musicians.”

“Better performers,” corrected Sebastian, “and I feel no hesitation in seconding, you, Sam, this actually feels and looks good.” Sebastian fingered the sleeve of an elegantly cut long coat in deep forest green that went past his knees, cut wide at the waist to the sides of his hips and pinned back above it for a smartly styled fit, paneled on the sides of his legs to allow for movement, and buttoned in a double-breasted style from his neck to his belt. The sleeves stopped just above the cuffs of the shirt under it, and curiously, had a deep hood attached to the collar.

“Damn, ‘Bas,” Lys whistled, “you look like a modern-day Wizard. That looks wicked cool.”

“Really?” he asked, genuinely pleased, straightening a bit as he glanced in the mirror, “it does fit really well, and the hood feels natural.”

“I’m not feeding you a line, that works for you. You’re slim enough that the straight, harsh lines make you look dignified, and I wouldn’t think it out of place to see you carrying a heavy spellbook hanging off of an arcane-reinforced chain.”

“Oh. Sweet. Yoba. Sexy butler,” gasped Abigail as she exited Haley’s room and saw Sebastian.

“What- Butler? Now you’re just-” He cut off as he turned to face her, his mouth suddenly dry. Her outfit was a stark departure from the men, but no less impressive: a black, pleated skirt over fishnets came down to just above her knees, and boots with purple laces went up to them, under a corset in violet, with a bolero in a darker shade over it, that reminded Lys of Elizabeth, which was another comparison that he decided not to mention. Her makeup was different shades of complementing purples, which she had made look exotic instead of clownish. Lys nudged Sebastian in a brotherly manner, smiling encouragingly.

“Mate, you want to say it, and nobody here will give you crap about it.”

“You look great,” he finally said, suddenly unable to think straight. She understood the context, however, and hugged him around the waist, squealing with glee and kissing him on the cheek, leaving an amethyst-colored print behind. Haley stood up and approached them, studying them with the eye of a photographer.

“Excellent, I can work with this. I’ve got a space set up in my darkroom to get the portraits done. Just give me a moment to set up the tripod and we can get started.” Sebastian’s cool demeanor evaporated at these words.

“Wait, pictures? No, not happening.”

“We need promo materials to post around so people know to come looking for us, mate. We’ve got a good window for it; close enough that people won’t lose interest before we perform, but also not so close to the event that it feels rushed or half-assed.”

“I...really don’t like my picture being taken.”

“It won’t be yours, mate.”

“But-”

“Who are you?” Sebastian frowned at the nonsensical question.

“I’m Sebastian, you twit, what are you-”

“No, I mean, who are you?” Lys asked, prodding him in the chest, “right now. You don’t normally dress like this, so who does? What is he like? How does he think and move? When he stands on that stage how does he do it? That is who I’m talking about.” Sighing with patience at Lys’s enthusiasm, Sebastian shook his head and pulled the hood over, glancing at the mirror to check its fit, and Lys grinned broadly as he noticed the other man’s posture change completely. The slim man was already fairly tall, but usually walked somewhat hunched and withdrawn, but as he ran a hand down the front of his coat to smooth out any potential wrinkles, he straightened further than he had already and now stood with a quiet air of stoic confidence, and shot Lys a violet glance of composure from deep within the depths of his cowl.

“I should probably be more annoyed at how right you are so much of the time, but I can’t argue with results.”

“You’ve got it, and you own it. Since you’re good to go why don’t you follow Haley first? But nobody tell anybody what you’re doing for your photo, I want to see what we all do separately.”

Once all five were finished, Haley emerged from her darkroom, checking the results on the LCD screen of the digital camera that she had used.

“These are going to be perfect. I’ll send off the full raw files to you in a little bit, Abby. You sure you won’t need anything else?”

“Nah, I’ve got the editing software I need, and it’s gonna be a bit abstract anyway, so I’ll be doing a lot of stuff by hand. I’ll send back the finished poster tonight; I’ve got a lot of energy and ideas, and already had some stuff put together because I kinda knew what we were doing. I’ll be doing two; the basic ‘glamour’ image that’s just the band and name that we can use and post anywhere, and one with the date and location of the gig.”

“Great. Send me both, and I’ll head into town tomorrow to do physical prints and post them around.”

“Send me a copy as well, Abby,” Lys piped up, “I still know and have logins for sites and forums that people in the city frequent that I can post it on.”

“Shiny, I’ll message you when I’m done.” She looked as Sebastian and giggled again. “Hey Sebby, did she take your pic of that side? ‘Cause that’s a good look for you.” Confused, he looked in the mirror again and turned red as he saw for the first time the lipstick print from earlier. Haley also laughed, but supportively.

“I was quite tempted, but no, I got him from a different angle. Maybe next time.”

“It looks like we’re done here, then. You all are amazing,” Lys grinned, bouncing up and hugging Emily, who laughed and danced happily in place, caught up in the energy. Never one to pass up an opportunity, he mirrored her, and her face lit up with glee as she grabbed his hand and swung him into a two-person step for a moment. Sam, the ever-energetic ball of motion, couldn’t sit still either, and broke in, sweeping Lys up into a hug that lifted the taller man off of the ground, laughing with uncontainable enthusiasm.

“We’re going to do this and it’s gonna be fantastic!”

Shortly after, they were back in their usual clothes, having hung their stage wear in garment bags that Emily would hold onto for safekeeping. Standing in the sun and shade outside, everyone relaxed in the post-euphoric atmosphere of current and potential success. Sebastian pulled out the pack of flavored cigarettes, and, like usual, flicked the pack and lighter to Lys once he’d lit his own. Both were returned with a casual and practiced arc once Lys had his.

“I owe you another pack, mate, I’ll refresh your stash this time.”

“Thanks.”

“Though… Heh, I never did get that answer,” he thought aloud, chuckling to himself.

“Mm?”

“Remember when you gave me that lift home the first time months ago? I wondered what it would be like kissing someone who smoked these. Though I suppose that I could ask Elliott, he’s got a bit of experience in that category by now.” Lys put his thumbs in his belt loops and smiled around his smoke, and Elliott tapped his chin as he thought.

“You are correct, dear. Perhaps I can give you the answer that you seek.” He reached over and lightly plucked the cigarette from his partner’s lips with delicate skill, put it to his own, and inhaled slowly and deeply. A collective giggle rippled around the group at Lys’s expression of surprise. Elliott exhaled just as slowly, and softly held Lys’s chin as he leaned over to kiss him. The giggles changed to full laughter, and Elliott took a second puff, looking satisfied and amused. For the first time in as long as anyone could remember, Lys was without an immediate and cheeky reply.

“...That was quite possibly the hottest thing you’ve ever done,” he remarked after a lengthy silence, “and I think I need that smoke back. That was an amazing call-back and variation on it. I am properly impressed.”

“It was that good?” Elliott smiled, returning the item in question.

“I’m surprised that nobody else needs a smoke after that.” He brushed back stray hairs that were tousled by a sudden breeze, feeling relaxed and optimistic. “Well, How’s it feel, everyone? In a couple of weeks we’re going to be live on stage. You’ve finally achieved your dream.”

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
                        ApertureGaming011, Gabaw and Alkanthe like this.
                      • Gabaw

Gabaw Spaceman Spiff

The gang is looking sharp! if there's any tension in the air they'd cut thru like a hot knife. tho that last scene with the cigarette was more than enough I think :rofl:

Risukage and ApertureGaming011 like this.
                        • Risukage

Yup, looking proper swanky up in here. Also, Elliott is a quick study, and the only one who can get one over on his cheeky partner anymore. :D And I'm certain that Sebastian was probably more amused than anyone else, given that he was the butt of the joke last time. Haley and Abigail must be so delighted to be able to have fanservice at a moment's notice...

• Risukage

//What? They're back in the city? With more plot? Holy exposition, Batman! Also, say hello to two people I've been keen to introduce for quite a while now. Aww yeah, I'm looking forward to Wednesday. Been working on something there for a bit and I'm pleased with it. In the meantime, have some delightful banter that was simply a joy to write. :)//

Sam and Sebastian handed Alex and Lys the gear from the back of the truck, who set it aside until everything was unloaded. They picked up everything in one go and hauled it into the back entrance of the venue as Haley held the door for them. Emily and Elliott followed, arms full with their outfits, which she had brought in her car.

“Gear goes to the right against the wall with the posters, clothes to the left with the rack you can hang them on. I saw my parent’s car back there, so I’ll go track them down.”

“Heya, Pick! Beat you to it!” Lys lit up at the familiar voice and set down Resonance and his bass to stride over to hug his dad.

“Hey! Good to see you, it’s been too long. It’s my fault, though, I’ve been distant lately.”

“It sounded like you needed that distance, so we didn’t press. Besides, it’s not like you were totally silent.”

The family resemblance was quite obvious; Arthur’s hair was the same shade of vibrant copper-red, but short and tousled, like a merry fire. Though he was slightly shorter than his son and his face was a bit narrower, there was no mistaking the same cheeky grin. He wore a neat polo shirt in green over jeans, with a pair of well-worn but clean sneakers, carrying a light jacket in grey in one hand.

As he stepped back, Lynn entered from the direction of the stage as well, and once again the heritage could be seen; despite sporting a mane of gold-blonde hair that very nearly went to her waist, and blue eyes instead of hazel, it was the shape of those eyes and their warmth that Lys’s friends recognized, as well as the rounding to the face that smoothed out the more rigid lines from Arthur’s. Like her husband, she wasn’t quite as tall as Lys, but she still towered over two of the other three women in the room and very nearly could look Sebastian in the eyes. Sporting a deeply-cut three-quarter sleeve shirt in a sunny yellow over a brown camisole and boot cut jeans, her chunky, black, open-toed heels made a heavy and solid sound on the floor as she strode over with enthusiasm. She wrapped Lys in a firm hug and laughed, making him grunt from the effort, which was wasn’t difficult given her somewhat Amazonian build. Taking his face in her hands, she studied him with the fierce but caring scrutiny of a pleased parent.

“Sweetie! You are looking fantastic, living on your grandfather’s farm has been wonderful for you. And speaking of wonderful things, you must be the handsome young man that Lysander introduced to us a couple of months back,” she smiled, seeing Elliott walk over, “oh, if only we had known then, I would have given Liz such grief about it so much sooner.” Elliott chuckled politely and extended a hand, surprised to have Lynn grasp it in a firm shake, before Arthur could do the same but with less energy.

“I am very pleased to make your official acquaintance. Although I confess to being grateful that you were not aware of my connection that readily. Mother is not overly fond of surprises.” Lynn laughed heartily, fists on her hips, and once more one could see what Lys had inherited and where.

“She gets over things quickly. Even after that time that we pranked her by installing poles all over the stage and had my students dancing on them. Tastefully dressed, mind you, but I will never forget her face. A bit like that, actually!” she guffawed, seeing Elliott’s expression.

“By the light, that was you? Mother was furious about that for a week!” Lynn waved dismissively.

“Only because she didn’t know who did it, and then because she did. I didn’t damage anything; I’m sassy but not malicious.”

“Wait,” Sam piped up, poking Lys, “you said that-”

“I never said that she didn’t, I just deflected the question. And I know what that look means, stop thinking about it.”

“Already done, dude, your mom intimidates the hell out of me. Hey, why did your dad call you ‘Pick?’”

“Oh! I never mentioned that, did I? I was really skinny as a kid, and I took up guitar when I was young. So, ‘Pick.’”

“You’ve not mentioned a lot of things, sweetie, namely your friends.”

“Right, sorry about that. The short one with all of the questions is Sam-”

“Hey!”

“The angsty one with the emo haircut is Sebastian-”

“Oy!”

“The purple goth is Abigail-”

“Nailed it!”

“Mom’s younger copy is Haley-”

“That’s not as funny as you think it is.”

“The clash of colors is Emily-”

“You’re enjoying this too much.”

“And the walking stack of muscles is Alex.”

“You’re not wrong.” Lynn looked at Alex curiously before that familiar, broad grin of delight split her face in half.

“Alexander Mullner, is that you? Ha! It is! You’ve got Clara’s smile. And your father’s eyes, but yours are so much gentler.”

“Um, I know that Lys and I are related, but I don’t think we’ve met, Mrs. von Morgensonne.”

“First, call me ‘Lynn,’ or ‘Aunt Lynn’ if that’s more comfortable for you, and second, you were only a baby, so you won’t remember it. Heck, I barely remember, all babies look the same. Oh don’t give me that look, I’m a mother, I get to say it. But regardless, you grew up into a handsome, successful man, and I know that my cousin would be so proud of you.” Arthur chuckled and patted her on the shoulder.

“We have time to gossip and catch up, but first we need to get them set up. Marcus and Jen just got here, so we should get this done in no time.” Lys was surprised but enthusiastic about this information.

“Oh wow, they’re here to help? That’s great! I haven’t seen them in ages either.”

“Actually, the entire band will be here to see you all perform, but they’re just the first two to arrive. C’mon, Sebastian, grab the synth and I’ll help with that. The drums should just need adjustments for your height and reach, Abby. Marcus will help Alex with the sound controls, and Jen will get the mics. The piano is tuned and good to go, Elliott. Pick, you and Sam can handle the guitars, right?”

“On it. Let’s get going.” Lynn gave Lys another appraising look, this time concerned as she noticed the scar on his neck.

“Sweetie, what happened? It looks like you got caught on something pretty bad.” Suddenly cold and without an answer he wanted to give, Lys hesitated with fingers on his throat, tracing the thin white line. Elliott’s touch on his arm brought him around, and they shared a quick glance of understanding.

“I… Something happened last year.” Immediately reading the situation, Lynn backed off of the subject.

“Don’t worry, sweetie, if you thought it was important you’d have told us, but this seems to be something that you’re not comfortable talking about yet.” Lys reached up and brushed Elliott’s fingers with his own, drawing strength from his partner.

“Actually, if you and dad have time after the gig tonight, I’ve got a few things to tell you.”

We have something to tell,” Elliott corrected, giving Lys a reassuring smile, “I was unable to support you during the first telling of this tale, so I will make amends for that this time.”

“...Thanks, love. Yeah. So, later, okay?” Lynn ruffled her son’s hair fondly and squeezed Elliott’s shoulder, nodding and heading further back to assist Emily with the outfits.

Lys retrieved Resonance and his bass and led the way to the stage. As they entered the main room, Lys saw that his father and Sebastian had already unpacked and set up the synth on its stands, and were efficiently cabling and connecting it. Sam had plugged in his guitar and was already plucking experimentally at it. Abigail had already adjusted the drum kit for her needs and was already testing out the entire set. Alex leaned over the controls for the sound, standing next to a man of extremely dark complexion and sturdy build, though not as tall as the athlete. As Lys bounded on stage he looked up and waved. Lys returned it, set the bass where he would be playing, and stepped around a short woman of Asian descent, who was hooking cables to the microphones that ran from the sound controls, and flashed him a welcoming smile, slapping him on the back as he walked by. He nudged Elliott and gestured to the piano.

“Grab a seat and I’ll tune Resonance with you, it’s a bit crowded up front at the moment.” The both of them took a wide path around the stage to the piano on the far side, and once Elliott was settled Lys sat down facing the other direction and pulled out his guitar. It only needed minimal adjustments, and Elliott played a few experimental chords and scales to get the feel and sound of the new instrument, then smiled and began playing the song of Lys’s grandfather in a bright, upbeat key and meter. Returning the smile, Lys joined him, providing a rhythm guitar backing, and on the second pass around, they traded; Lys took the main melody while Elliott played a flowing, fluid chain of notes behind him. Neither of them noticed that everyone had stopped what they were doing to listen, and on the third pass they played in harmony, enjoying the sound that they created together. Arthur stood and watched them silently until they finished, then walked over and put a friendly hand on Elliott’s shoulder.

“Welcome to the family.”

The rest of the tuning and calibration took very little time, and within an hour they were once again backstage, now occupying one of the changing rooms. Lys was thoughtful once more as he dressed, and as Sam and Sebastian left he held Elliott back. Sam grinned broadly and was about to remark on the two of them being alone, but Lys gave him a tired look that asked for a moment of privacy, which Sam respected and closed the door behind him.

“Tonight with mom and dad… I… I don’t want you to be caught broadsided by anything. So…”

“I appreciate that, and it appears that what is on your mind is something you have been reluctant to divulge previously.”

“Yeah. It’s…Allen. I’ve never talked about him much. But what you should know is that he was one of my oldest friends, I grew up with him. And...we were each others’ first. We didn’t know anyone else we could really ask, and neither of us had the confidence anyway. We were good enough friends, so we experimented.” Lys paused to shrug with indifference, but Elliott noticed that he seemed to be trying to convince himself and not his partner. “It was no big deal, we were learning things and took care of each other’s needs for the time being, and then we got older, dated other people, and his family moved away. We didn’t see each other again for several years, until he was accepted to the same university in Zuzu City. And as I said before, we picked up our friendship again, and after a while I asked to take it farther. You know the rest of the story from there. Mom and dad know that we were friends when we were young, and that we hooked up in college, but not anything else, or about the...incident.” Elliott provided the hug that Lys needed at the moment.

“He was more than just a companion, he was a dear friend and lover, and meant a great deal to you for many reasons.”

“Yeah. I’m trying, but I’ve never gotten over him or what happened, and I don’t know how.”

“Put it out of your mind for now, we have business to attend. We will address that problem later. Together.” Lys sighed and smiled, kissing him warmly and taking his hand.

“You’re right. Time to focus on the music. Let’s go be brilliant.”

Gabaw, Alkanthe and ApertureGaming011 like this.
                            • ApertureGaming011

ApertureGaming011 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

...and thus, the moment of the show comes near. I can't wait what's bound to happen. Sometimes, I want to learn a technique or two from big people like you.

Risukage and Gabaw like this.
                              • Gabaw

Gabaw Spaceman Spiff

A bit more of a tame chapter this time but no less entertaining and thought provoking. See? You don't need sensuous smoking to make a good chap! That scene when Lynn asked Lys about the scar hit home in a way i can't relate to but that I understand. It was my favorite of the chap. Looking forward to seeing how that pans out.

Risukage likes this.
                                • Risukage

Well, it may not need it, but I know what I like. ... *Hums "I Know What I Like" by Huey Lewis and the News.* And Lynn may be where he gets his goofy, carefree attitude and endless sass, but she's also genuinely caring and knows how to read people. Some people might describer her as distant or uncaring sometimes, but really, she knows when to back off and let someone do something because that's how you learn and grow, and if you give them the freedom to do their own thing at their pace, they'll likely be more open and honest with you in return.

Heh, a lot of it is practice, mate, I've been writing in some form or another pretty much as long as you've been alive, and doing music for even longer. And as someone who's been doing stuff for decades, I'll tell you upfront that you're going to have a lot of rubbish, not everything will be a gem. But that's part of learning; don't get discouraged, and listen to the constructive criticism and feedback from others, because they can often see the things that you can't because they're not as "close" to it. My work is FAR from perfect, and I see so many flaws and tropes that I feel a bit silly for using or being unable to avoid, but I get a bit better every chapter, and that's what I'm aiming for.

As for Wednesday, I am proper hyped for it. Got several things going on in there I'm keen to finally use, even if it's going to probably be a bit silly. But that's the real-world magic of stage and theater, and why we all love it and crave it; the story that is told, the emotions it elicits, the bond that is created between you, the performer, and the author, and how it can transcend time and boundaries. We all ache in some way to be bigger and better, to be something more than we are now, and that is what the stage gives us, of any sort. It guides, it uplifts, it inspires. And I miss it...

Kid Absurdity and Alkanthe like this.
                                  • Risukage

//It's showtime!//

“Wow, I didn’t know you were that fast-”

“Shut up, Sam,” Lys interrupted without malice, cuffing him on the arm, “how is everyone feeling? Excited?”

“Hell yes I am!”

“Not as jazzed as Sam is, but I am so ready to rock that drum set. Your dad’s band has such good gear.”

“‘Excited’ is not the word that I would use, but I am awaiting our debut with anticipation.” Sebastian once again looked edgy, but Arthur gave him an encouraging pat on the back that actually lifted the younger man’s spirits.

“You’ll be fine, Sebastian. I saw the video of the performance this summer and everyone looked and sounded professional. You don’t seem to be the type to enjoy the limelight, but you do appear to be someone who takes pride in everything that they do. So focus on performing the best that you can.”

“Oy, I thought that I was giving the pep talk,” sassed Lys, hooking his thumbs behind his belt and grinning. Arthur returned the smile and the banter as he ruffled his son’s hair.

“So I’m not allowed to be proud of you and offer you the benefit of my decades of knowledge and experience? I see how it is. Well I’m going to be positive and supportive and you’re going to like it, young man.”

“Fine then, be useful,” Lys chuckled.

“Fine then, I think I will. Now, this venue might be a bit strange at first, but you’re all quite lucky; it’s a pub, yes, but it’s got a reputation for decent musical entertainment of varying styles. It’s also large enough that you won’t feel crowded but not so large that your sound will get lost. Just remember your set list, be confident, and have fun. And I do mean it, I’m proud of all of you,” he smiled a grin that had echoes of the one they saw from their friend every day as he grasped their hands in encouragement, “everyone here has worked hard for this. People come here specifically to hear new and interesting things, so you’re already ahead of the game. You’ve got about another hour before your set begins, so do what you need to in order to get yourselves mentally in the right headspace. Marcus will assist Alex with recording the sound, Jen will assist Haley on the video equipment. I’ll pass the results to Robert this week and he’ll clean up and mix everything at his studio, and I’ll get a copy back to you as soon as it’s all done.” Sam swayed on his feet, both giddy and dizzy as the full weight and realization of it all finally hit home.

“We’re doing it. We’re really, finally doing it, and we’re going to have a professional recording of it after, too. Art, you and your buddies are freaking awesome!”

An hour later Lys glanced out at the crowd from the stage entrance, grinned, and turned to his friends.

“It’s showtime.”

Casually, with his rolling, swaggering walk, he strolled out onto the stage. Lys could hear the whispers of the crowd as people nudged one another and brought the attention of their companions to his direction.

Good, it’s starting, I can feel it.

He continued over to his bass, picking it up by its strap and slinging it over his shoulder, and flashed the crowd his best flirty smile and adjusted his sunglasses before he grasped the mic on its stand. He could hear Sam and Abigail giggling as they pushed and pulled Sebastian along, just as they had practiced, which elicited chuckles from the audience. Elliott smiled and shook his head as he followed them on, his stride and attitude a perfect contrast to Lys’s; dignified and elegant. As he approached the piano he reached out and idly brushed a few keys with one hand, which transitioned into a melody as he sat down.

“You wanted to see something new. Something interesting. And you came here to see us.” More heads began to turn in their direction, from the front to the back, as Abigail began a roll on a ride cymbal and Sebastian joined Elliott in building the melody, harmonizing against each other. Lys could feel the hairs on the back of his neck stand up as the energy began to form and take shape, having reached the far side of the room and now rebounding back toward the group. The audience was now focused on them.

There it is, that energy. Take it, shape it, guide it. Show them something amazing.

“Well, it’s a good thing you’re here, because we are something new. But I’ll tell you now that if you want something interesting, you’ll be disappointed.” The enthusiasm continued to build, and Lys continued to dance inside with the energy that he welcomed as an old friend. He paused to slip the strap over his head and settle the instrument in place with a flourish, and smiled even more broadly as the murmurs of the crowd grew louder.

“Because we’re amazing.” Sam had picked up his guitar and very nearly leapt over to his own microphone.

“You all are brilliant, and we are The Elements of Sound. Now listen to our song!”

Sam and Lys joined the other three in the song, changing from a stately, cycling chorus to an upbeat rock piece, increasing its tempo and changing the key. Cheers and applause rose up from the audience as the wave of energy reached the stage and broke up upon the performers. Lys glanced out over the crowd, sweeping across the sea of delighted faces, recognizing many from back in town who had come to see their friends and family perform, but for a moment he thought he saw one that was unexpected but familiar. He put it out of his mind.

No, it was just a trick of the mind. Focus on the gig, on the music, on the now.

They were all connected now, the emotion and energy of the song passing back and forth between musicians and audience, amplifying itself on each pass.

Yes, this is it! It’s feeling, this sensation that I’ve missed. I didn’t realize just how empty I had felt. I know that they feel it, too. It’s intoxicating, it’s exhilarating, it’s addicting. And the only thing better is to share it.

Singing without holding anything back, he harmonized with Sam, whose vocals were usually bright, but now they were radiant. The luau had been only a taste, a glimpse of what they could be together. Inward Lys danced with the energy, outward he danced with the music, happily lost in his instincts. Nobody held back; never before had they felt so alive, so unified. They finished the first song with a musical exclamation point, leaving deafening silence in the wake of their performance. It was momentary, barely more than a breath, before that silence was filled with applause that almost surprised them. Lys could feel his pulse racing and an electric tingle dancing across his skin.

By the light, YES! We’ve never sounded this good together before. I knew we could do this. I can feel the trust and confidence that everyone has in each other. We’re not just performers anymore, we’re professionals. Welcome to my world, everyone, it’s been lonely here.

For the next two hours they performed, using the same set list as the luau, with a few more songs that they had written since then. And like before, each song had its featured performers and unique style. Changing every few songs between up-tempo and slower songs to mix it up, the energy never waned, only changing its shape, intensity, and direction. At the end of the set Sam whooped with enthusiasm and grabbed his mic as Lys set the bass on its stand and picked up Resonance.

“This has been the best night ever, and you all have been the craziest best audience. I love you all so much right now. Yeah, all of you!” The audience replied with more applause and cheers, and Sam laughed with pure exuberance. Settling Resonance in place, Lys removed the pick from the frets and plucked a string, creating a clean, clear, single note that cut through all other sound like a keen-edged knife and silenced the room. Smiling warmly and softly now, he stepped up to his microphone.

“You have been magnificent. We could not have imagined a more welcoming reception. You may be delighted to have seen us perform, but we are honored to have been able to play for you. And because of that, we have one last song, something very special.” Plucking slowly, he began the melody to his grandfather’s song, picking single notes as he spoke, and he saw his parents stand up straighter with matching looks of wonder and excitement as they realized what was happening.

“I started to learn the guitar when I was very young, and the first song that I learned was one that my grandfather taught me, which he had taught to my father before me many years before. It has been a song that I have carried with me ever since, and when he passed away, I played it for him one last time. I was unable to play it again for many years until I met my friends, and someone that is now very special to me. With their encouragement I played it again, and they learned it as well, and I learned how special it was, how it could bring people together and make them smile. Now, I will teach that song to all of you, and show everyone the love and happiness that I felt when my grandfather and I played together. Listen and learn, the song of my legacy, ‘Stardew Valley.’”

The gentle plucking, like the first drops of rain in spring, became a proper downfall; the rain now coming down more solidly and pronounced. Elliott picked up four bars later with solid, supportive chords upon which Lys’s guitar danced. Sam, Sebastian, and Abigail joined in another four bars later as Lys began to sing in his warm, deep tenor; an uplifting but slightly wistful ballad, stately and refined.

“Spring’s cool breezes call out to me, they sing the song I once knew. Summer’s warm touch embraces me, like love I held once so true.

“Autumn’s bright leaves fly on the wind, like words I never could say. Winter’s pure snow falls silently down like tears when I left that day.

“Sapphire waves crash on the shore, topaz sands sparkle in the light. Amethyst winds, obsidian hills, all memories lost to the night.

“Emerald forests so green and cool, the plains all gold like the sun. My heart aches for what has been lost, the colors all blurred and gone.

“Some day I will return to you, and walk the valley again. Alone together we’ll recall the places that no longer remain.

“My friends, my love, I call to you, a request I make from afar. Reach out to me, please guide me back, to the land of the valley of stars.”

Gabaw, Alkanthe and ApertureGaming011 like this.
                                    • Gabaw

Gabaw Spaceman Spiff

*claps* Bravissimo! Splendissimo! Eh uh... Really goodio! What a performance by Lys & Crew. He really loves being on stage and the stage loves him too. Hopefully the rest of the band had as much of a good time as he did. Nothing beats the energy of a concert. It was a nice touch to wind down and change the pace with a Resonance finale. *sniff* It's beautiful... In a distinctly Risu sort of way.

• Risukage

What, it's still decent despite my flowery, goofy prose, and those silly, hopelessly romantic lyrics? You're too kind. :p

(Seriously, I am totally rubbish at lyric-writing and I have now embraced it fully. Muahahahaha!)

• Risukage

//The show was a success and they are now proper professionals, but before he can celebrate, Lys has one last thing to take care of...//

Once the gig was over and they had accepted the payment of applause and accolades, they stepped off of the stage to mingle a bit; it was important to make a good first impression, and Lys noticed a couple of people taking notes, clearly for news articles. He had approached them with his bold, sassy style and given them the info and interviews that they wanted, directing them to his bandmates for further interrogation. Several people requested photos, which Lys was more than happy to provide, and grinned with satisfaction to see that he was not the only one to be asked. Elliott, naturally, had a continual entourage which he entertained with his refined and gentle disposition, and Sam’s personality was truly magnetic, drawing in people like iron filings. Even Sebastian and Abigail got notice, and Lys was relieved to notice that they handled it like the professionals they now were.

After a bit of this, the energy began to wind down and people began to disperse. The band disappeared backstage once more, and Sam jumped around with an untapped store of energy that he had somehow held in reserve.

“This was so freaking amazing and we were amazing and just...whoo!” Lys laughed with him, grabbing the lead guitarist in a hug under his arms, swinging him around a couple of times, caught up in the exhilaration.

“Yeah, you were, all of you. How does it feel to be pros now?” Sam could only reply with more giddy laughter, which Abigail got caught up in, bouncing in place. Elliott thought about the question for a moment.

“It is strange but welcome. I had never fancied myself as such in the past, yet I find the mantle of a performer to be a comfortable and pleasant fit. I could not do it alone, no, but as an ensemble I feel quite at home.”

“I’m the biggest introvert you’ve ever met,” commented Sebastian, running a hand through his hair, “but this was a hell of a rush. Even after we were done, and were walking around the crowd, I was okay with it, like I was someone else. Like Elliott said, I couldn’t do this alone, but together it was a lot of fun and we sound great. I actually want to do this again.”

“Then you’ve got that chance,” Arthur said, walking in from the main room, “Doug liked you guys so much that he’s offered a spot on the calendar next month if you’re interested. The crowd got bigger after you started playing, and he made a heck of a profit on sales tonight for it. Also, the first round is on him; it’s his tradition for all new bands. Congratulations, everyone, this was a hell of an opening night.” For once, Sam was totally speechless and motionless as he processed all of this new information, looking a bit like he’d been hit between the eyes.

“...We really did it. I… I’ve dreamed of this forever, but it’s always been just that.” He staggered over to Lys and hugged him with a lot more strength than the taller man had expected. “It’s thanks to you, and I don’t know if I’ll be able to thank you enough.”

“It was your dream and your drive, mate, I just provided the tools you needed to advance. And I can't thank all of you enough, either. I left this city without any dreams or hopes, and you all gave me something to fight for, to live for.” A thought crossed his mind, and he winced at it. “Which reminds me of unfinished business. You guys get changed out, I’ll join you in a few and help break down the equipment. I’ve got something to do first.” Lynn had also arrived backstage and caught the conversation.

“You’re sure you want to go into this, sweetie? It’s been a great night and I’d hate for it to end on a bad note,” she smiled, trying to defuse the tension with a joke.

“No more hiding, no more running. You need to know.” They stepped away into a corner while the rest of the band moved to the changing rooms.

Leaning against the wall, Lys thought about how to start, and smiled when Elliott squeezed his hand. He took a deep breath to calm and sort himself, and related his story, same as he had told his friends a few months earlier. His parents listened quietly, nodding and prompting him to continue as he spoke. Elliott put an arm around his waist as the story progressed, already sensing his partner’s anxiety. Pausing, Lys took off his sunglasses and held them in his hand as he pinched the bridge of his nose, trying to hold back tears. He shook his head at a question from Lynn, took another calming breath, and pressed forward. His shoulders began to shake as he went on, and Elliott took the sunglasses from him so he could undo the buttons on his shirt cuffs. Arthur and Lynn gasped simultaneously, their shock not projected at him but for him. Lynn put a hand on a shoulder and his face, offering words of support and reassurement, and Lys finally broke down completely. Elliott and Lynn both instinctively moved to hold him, and they shared a small laugh at their mutual reaction, both of them providing the comfort that Lys needed. Arthur offered a handkerchief, which was gratefully accepted.

“I understand why you chose not to tell us sooner, and I respect that. And in a strange way, I’m glad that you waited, because there would have been nothing that we could have done to help, and we would have been worried and greatly bothered by it. Knowing you, you’d have been beating yourself up as well because you knew that you were causing someone else trouble. But your time in our old home has helped you change and heal, and you’re happier and more confident than I’ve seen you in years. You’ve also found someone who genuinely cares about you,” Arthur chuckled, sparing Elliott a fatherly glance, “and has been a massive help in getting you back on your feet. Though apparently it goes in both directions. You’re now a published author now, and from what I’ve gleaned from Liz and Phil, they’re both happy with what you’ve done for Elliott as well. I’m proud of you, Pick, you went through a lot and a very dark time and you’ve come out with your fire burning brighter than ever.” Lynn brushed aside Lys’s bangs and kissed his forehead.

“It’s okay, sweetie, what happened is in the past now, and you’re still here, that’s what’s important. We all make decisions that we regret later.” Lys had found his composure again and smiled, no longer feeling the pain of memories.

“Thanks, mom, that means a lot. I was worried about telling you two for the longest time because exactly that, I didn’t want anyone to worry about me. At the same time, it hurt that I felt like I was hiding something or lying to you. I’m going to wash my face real fast and get changed out. Be right back.” Elliott watched him leave with a mixture of relief and concern, and Lynn sighed and put her fists on her hips, giving Elliott the same, warm smile he was accustomed to seeing from his partner.

“I don’t think I’ll ever have enough or the right words to say it, but until I do, thank you, Elliott. He’s always been too strong, taking the weight of the world and the problems of everyone else onto his own shoulders and never asking for help. He’s always tried so hard to look out for others and protect them, and refuses to let anyone do the same for him. You’re the first person he’s ever trusted enough to support him in return like this. You have our respect and gratitude.”

“And you both have mine, for raising someone like him. Were it not for his ability to show love for everyone and desire to help I’d never have finished my work. I will protect and support him and his dreams at any cost.” Lys emerged from the restroom, looking much better, and flashed them another smile as he entered the changing room.

“You get swapped out, too, Elliott, Lynn and I will help the rest of the band break things down. Meet us over by the bar when you’re ready.”

“I shall, thank you.”

As Elliott pushed open the door, Lys had hung up the overshirt on a hanger and was working on the buttons of the black one.

“Hey, love, thanks for being there. I needed that more than I thought I did. Not because I was worried they’d get mad or anything, but that mental support. You’re the best thing to happen to me in years.” He shrugged out of the shirt and put it on the hangar, reached for his regular one, and sighed. Pulling his hand back, he ran a thumb over the mark on his other wrist, thinking to himself. Elliott paused, his waistcoat removed and shirt partway undone, and stepped over to hold Lys from behind, waiting for him to continue.

“It’s funny, isn’t it, how such a little thing defines so much of me now. That one bad, selfish decision nearly ended everything. It worked out for the better in a strange way, but at the same time, it almost feels wrong that I should benefit from it. I don’t know, I’m still a bit messed up, I guess. But still,” he sighed, leaning back into Elliott, “as terrifying as it all was and how much it still hurts, I don’t think I’d change it. You mean everything to me. I’ve known you for what, less than a year? And even so, this doesn’t feel like any other relationship I’ve ever had, even with Allen, for as long as we’d been together. Not that I’m comparing you!” he added, turning around, “and not that I’d do something crazy like that again if something happened, I promised you, and it’s not that I hope something happens to you, I-”

Elliott interrupted him in the best way he knew how, and traced a finger along Lys’s ear as he did so, feeling his partner’s fingers in his hair. Lys enjoyed the distraction, but pulled away when he realized that he was slowly undoing the remaining buttons on Elliott’s shirt with one hand and laughed at himself.

“Sorry, love, I’m developing bad habits faster than I can correct them.” Elliott returned a smile and finished what he had started, hanging it up as well and taking the one he had been wearing earlier as Lys changed from one set of pants to another.

“As much as I wish that I could wash away your pain, and the suffering that you have experienced, it is those same experiences that have made you who you are and the man that I love. And because of the same, had you not been through all of that I would never have met you. So it is a strange dilemma in which I find myself glad for your past, and I am displeased with myself for such thoughts.”

“Yeah, it’s weird, but…” Lys sighed again as he pulled his shirt over his head, smoothed it out, and reached for the short-sleeved button-up that he wore over it, “I guess moments that knock you down that hard and that low are what let you appreciate the good things and fight for something better.” He examined his reflection and traced the line on his neck before adjusting his necklace and bracelets. “I’m reminded of that every time I look in the mirror. And it’s also strange that since we’ve been, well, intimate, I’ve not had this nightmare again. Now I fear losing you. What love does to a person, yeah?” Elliott brushed a couple of wrinkles out of his slacks as he stood up, holding open the door for Lys as they left.

“It has done many things, and all of them wonderful. And likewise, I fear nothing else in this world now, save for the thought of losing you. My heart and mind are now clad in armor that your devotion has forged for me.”

“I did not think that you could get any cuter,” giggled Lys, “that was so adorably goofy and I love it so much.”

“That was the idea. Let us hurry to our companions and assist with the final packing-up, so that we can set about celebrating our new-found success.”

Gabaw, ApertureGaming011 and Alkanthe like this.