1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Fame Through Youtube - Yes Or No

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Red Space Monkey, Feb 24, 2012.

?

Do you think that Starbound should be advertised through Youtube celebrities?

1. Of course.

34 vote(s)
    50.7%
  2. I'm not sure.

16 vote(s)
    23.9%
  3. I don't think so.

17 vote(s)
    25.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red Space Monkey

Red Space Monkey Phantasmal Quasar

Would you consider it a wise decision to prerelease Starbound to certain wellknown Youtube stars like the Yogscast to advertise the game? Or is this method already too overused? Could negative reputation arise from this way of public communication? Or will it prove useful again?

Tell me your opinion.

2. Afterscore

Afterscore Weight of the Sky

It would depend on the youtube celebrities and how they show the game to their fanbase.

For example Pbat did an awesome job at showcasing Terraria for advertising, whereas the Yogscast did a pretty pathetic job. Which was very disappointing for me as I was a subscriber of the yogscast at the time and I had been following Terraria's development progress; only to see my favourite youtube channel do a poor job of showcasing it.

TL;DR: As long as they do it well it would probably be successful.

Jermex, xXSunSlayerXx and Skyblade799 like this.
  3. Red Space Monkey

Yepp, a very good point. I think many people were scared away by the way the Yogscast "played" the game. Maybe it would be good if the Youtubers played the game before they release videos to see if it fits their taste, so they don't stop playing seriously after 10 minutes.

Afterscore likes this.
  4. Afterscore

This this this. I really couldn't understand why the Yogscast would agree to do a Lets Play series of Terraria only to stop 3 episodes in with no mention of it after that.

5. gejiryu

gejiryu Big Damn Hero

Definitively yeahs (lolwut?), the game would get so much more people and a community and be a successful game, and the devs would get richs :eek:

6. Drewdawg

Drewdawg Big Damn Hero

Let PBat do it! He's a champ! :)

Navyvinny likes this.
  7. Remnant Drive

Remnant Drive Pangalactic Porcupine

Why not Zoidberg? Tobuscus? He's a funny guy, and a lot of people seem to follow him.

TheEnderman and vitorsly like this.
  8. Drewdawg

Drewdawg Big Damn Hero

Tobuscus is very funny indeed :)

vitorsly likes this.
  9. Wargod

Wargod Pangalactic Porcupine

I thought he was hilarious when I first started watching his videos. But lately his videos just seem to piss me off, he's so bad at all the games he plays. Yes it's funny for a while but it just becomes too much lol.

ont:
    I would like to see some well-known youtube gamers play Starbound for sure. And I think it would greatly widen the potential fan-base of this game.
    And since I'm also so curious and impatient to find out what this game is going to be like I'd be watching those videos as well.

10. Red Space Monkey

I personally disliked PBats videos, sometimes he made me yell at the screen. ^^ But I think he did a great job, because you actually felt that he had fun playing Terraria, and this is important.

11. Red Space Monkey

The Terraria videos of the yogscast weren't interesting at all, they weren't even funny. And if I had watched them without even ever hearing about Terraria, this game would have had a much smaller appeal on me.

12. Brain Maniac

Brain Maniac Industrial Terraformer

NO! that will attract a lot of the annoying kids that dont know anything about gaming to starbound! also, most people will watch the walkthroughs rather than playing the game itself!

13. Afterscore

Same here, but that was what made watching the Yogscast videos so much more painful and heart breaking ;__;

14. Brain Maniac

yes, but i can tell, at least half of people that watch it won't play the actual game - it will bring more people, yes, but it spoils and makes your gameplay less fun, that's why there are trailers, people learns about the game by themselves, not by youtubers that make Let's plays

15. TehEpikMonk

TehEpikMonk Spaceman Spiff

So the solution is make watching it optional, which it already is. Also, more than half the people who watch it will buy it. I guarantee it.

Brain Maniac likes this.
  16. Wargod

Wargod Pangalactic Porcupine

Is it your extreme monkness that's making your text appear in the holy color of gold? :eek:

17. Brain Maniac

my point is, that a lot of people follow the Yogscast, PBat, SlyFox, and much other famous youtubers. If people knew about the game because of sources like that, starbound would be flooded with immature people - exactly what happened with the minecraft comunity :eek:

18. Red Space Monkey

The Terraria community is pretty mature I think, and this game got promoted by PBat alot, so the chance of flooding the community with trolling children is always there, even without youtubers advertising it. Not all immature people watch Yogscast and not all mature persons find their games through pure luck.

19. Jaber

Jaber Pangalactic Porcupine

Only if they get it less than a week before release so we don't end up with people whining about it constantly for months like what happened with Terraria.
    It also makes sure that people who watch it are watching a current version instead of a half finished one.

20. Jaber

Jaber Pangalactic Porcupine

I was referring more to the people who do things like make topics about how the game needs balancing based on their watching pbat play and alpha version of the game, or even worse, the people who start to get all pissy about which LPers do or do not "deserve" to make an early LP for their entertainment, eugh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.