1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Extremely Low FPS

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by nathan00107, Dec 6, 2013.

?

What is the amount of lag you guys get?

1. None

14 vote(s)
    7.2%
  2. Noticeable

55 vote(s)
    28.2%
  3. Really bad

97 vote(s)
    49.7%
  4. Unplayable

49 vote(s)
    25.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nathan00107

nathan00107 Zero Gravity Genie

I get around mostly 20-25 FPS at first but then it drops to about 15 FPS. I have the hardware to run the game also. Anyone else getting really bad lag?

Evan's Mom and foreck like this.
  2. nathan00107

Anyone?

3. foreck

foreck Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i have a descent amount of fps being in the spaceship but once i descend to the planet my fps decrease to 5-20 depending of -I think- the music, mobs and objets on the screen making very hard to play the game.
    (sorry for my english if it's bad)

JollyNinja likes this.
  4. nathan00107

Spaceship: 30 FPS
    Planet: 25 FPS
    Rain: 15 FPS
    Dungeon: 10 FPS

I know that they will eventually optimize it but when?

Evan's Mom, Reege and JollyNinja like this.
  5. TheGamezMaster

TheGamezMaster Intergalactic Tourist

I found a way to fix

6. TheGamezMaster

TheGamezMaster Intergalactic Tourist

Heres how:

1. Go to C: > Program Files x86 > Steam > Steamapps > Common > Starbound
    2. Open Win32 (May change due to system)
    3. Find starbound_opengl
    4. Make a shortcut of starbound_opengl and bring it to desktop
    5. Rename it to whatever u want (Not needed)
    6. Run game from the shortcut INSTEAD of from the steam browser
    7. Should Decrease lag by A LOT

This totally worked for me, but you will still lag at times. It wont make the lag go away but it will decrease it by a lot.

chs1616, Belmanthor and Cynicole like this.
  7. Kobting

Kobting Space Penguin Leader

I'm stuck at like 4-10fps non stop.
    I've tried every way that I can find to get more fps. Even with the opengl it still runs very slow.

PC Specs:
    CPU - i3-3227U CPU 1.90GHz
    RAM - 4GB
    64 bit Windows 8.1
    Intel HD 4000 graphics card
    Not the best but from what I read it's good enough to play.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  8. foreck

Yes i actually do that and turn off NVidia optimization and the render increases dramatically

9. foreck

Lol your pc is better than mine and you have 4-10 fps? interesting

10. Zoro the Gallade

Zoro the Gallade Big Damn Hero

I have noticed that lag in my case increases dramatically the higher I go. Which is a bummer, because there is this big anchor going up into the sky and I'm dying to know what's up there.

NhunterN likes this.
  11. foreck

Go settings and increase the zoom once give a good amount of fps at the expence of less resolution

12. Eleitas

Eleitas Space Hobo

I have:
    • 8gbs of Ram
    • Intel HD graphics 4000
    • Intel Core i5-3210M CPU 2.50GHz
    • 64-bit Windows
    This allows me too play at 50-60 constantly. There are sometimes drops to around 45. I believe it is your guys systems and not the game itself. You might now have enough ram, or a good enough of a processor. You might also have a cheaper amount of RAM, as there are qualities to it. You should also try something called gamebooster which is now owned by razr. You should also make sure nothing extra is on taking up your ram. So don't have the internet open while playing for a long time, music playing, extra unnecessary programs, etc... If nothing works, you may not be able to play the game, sorry :/

13. Brinxter

Brinxter Intergalactic Tourist

Im running no other programs, changing to Opengl did nothing, removing overlay didnt, regedit changed nothing.
    Its not actually an fps i think, but more of a bad way to calculate the game.
    Ive recently gotten a tech that allows me to fly, and i often have to wait for large chunks of the world im flying by (which is MUCH faster then walking) to render.

I7-Q840
    8g Ram
    2xHD5970
    128g SSD

Evan's Mom likes this.
  14. Nigrescence

Nigrescence Intergalactic Tourist

I didn't get lag before, but now I am. I'm not sure what changed. I'm pretty sure it's not my system, especially since it wasn't bad before.

Intel i7-3770K 3.5 GHz
    8 GB RAM
    GTX 660
    64-bit Win7

15. foreck

actually i had the same problem just after therelease of the newer version (irritated koala)

16. EnderRydel

EnderRydel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The lag on my machine is pretty horrible. Given my specs are the best, but I'd think I'd at least be able to run a game like Starbound without problems considering I get little to no lag with other such games (Terraria, Spelunky, Binding of Issac, Treasure Adventure Game, etc.). Here are my specs if anyone's curious:

AMD Athlon II X2 250u Processor (2 CPUS) ~1.6 GHz
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
    4096 MB Ram
    NVIDA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

I tried the workaround for NVIDA cards and it didn't seem to help much, unfortunately. What's more worrysome than the lag itself however, is the fact that I remember Tiy saying multiple times during development that the game should be able to run at a decent FPS even if you don't have a high-end computer. Hopefully they can get it optimized and running faster for those of us with crap computers like myself. x.x

17. sn34kypete

sn34kypete Space Hobo

This is the 2nd chucklefish title that I've purchased that has had absolutely awful support for video cards. Risk of rain was just as bad for me. Running the openGL version doesn't help, updating drivers didn't help, reinstallations didn't help, whatever setting about deinterlacing threads or whatever isn't a setting my nvidia control panel can alter. The game is ridiculously slow, mining takes ages even if there's nothing else on the screen. Literally all the anticipation and excitement I had for this game is gone, lost in a sea of choppy 5 fps gameplay.

Evan's Mom likes this.
  18. mrshadow731

mrshadow731 Space Hobo

19. nathan00107

No luck, I dont have these entries.

20. nathan00107

A glimmer of hope for the people who lag running the game:

7. My system specs are too low to run the game right now. I thought Starbound was going to be easier to run!
    We're still working on optimizing the engine, so system specs are going to be a bit higher at first, as Tiy mentioned in this post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.