Extremely desirable Wiring Enhancements

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Amegatron, Mar 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Amegatron

Amegatron Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hello! I've been playing with wires recently and started to make quite complicated circuits (one exemple). And so, faced some usability problems.

[​IMG]

Firstly, it is quite annoying that I can't remove a single wire, but only all wires going to/from a single "mouting point". This is really bad, because if you make one mistake accidently, you have to rewire the whole component, and there comes the second enhancement I wish I had. But firstly, a possible solution: to disconnect a wire leading from A (output) to B (input), a player could start draging a wire from A, but pressing right mouse button on B to disconnect the existing wire.

So, secondly it would be really usefull to see just the wires which are connected to a hovered device. When you have this kind of mess of wires and something goes wrong, you can't even see whether all wires are connected properly or maybe there is something missing. I think if you have a look over the link I posted at the beginning of the post, you'll certainly understand what I mean. This could be done, for example, by highlighting the wires in green when one hovers mouse over a device. I have another example of a pretty complicated circuit, but I'm not at home unfortunately so I can't attach the screenshot.

Also, there could be another possible enhancement, but I think this would require big changes in current mechanics. But I'll mention it just in case. The idea is to "chain" a wire. Imagine you have one output device which must be connected to dozens of other devices. Currecntly a player needs to make a separate wire to each device, while it would be more convinient to chain the wire: output -> input1 -> input2 -> input3 -> etc. Again, you can see what I'm talking about on the screenshot (for example look at "ZA" input leading to 8 other gates).

Thanks in advance!

STCW262 and Wa.luigi.time like this.
  2. Wa.luigi.time

Wa.luigi.time Subatomic Cosmonaut

I never do any wiring in Starbound, but I have to agree that improvements should really be made.