1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Exploration Orientation

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Zosimus, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zosimus

Zosimus Phantasmal Quasar

As a huge Terraria fan myself, I was wondering about the general orientation for exploration in Starbound. Seeing that Terraria was more vertical oriented (e.g. find a spot, dig down; find jungle/corruption/dungeon, go underground) I was wondering if we are going to see more of this orientation of exploration. One thing that made Terraria exciting for me is the uncertainty of jumping down chasms, not knowing how deep it goes (screw glowsticks) then either surviving or dying a horrible death.

I have seen the lighting demo and have seen that they were underground, but to what extent will this be focused on? Comparing Terraria, which is very mining-oriented, to Starbound by motif, it makes sense that Terraria is more focused on that. I think it's nearly impossible that the developers haven't thought of quests that go underground, but I hope that it gets a good spot in the number of hours a player will devote their selves to.

And can we get those vehicles with bigass drills in front? (which just made me think, resources shouldn't be retrieved while riding on a vehicle)

tl;dr: I love underground exploration in Terraria (the uncertainty!), give it a lot of love for Starbound :love:
    Also, drilling vehicles!

Dice - AV and Ghostar like this.
  2. Nate the Great

Nate the Great Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think there should be more "Biomes" to explore that are underground, like the mushroom biomes or the Underground jungles in Terraria, from which you can reap unique resources and such.

3. Zosimus

It would be awesome if there was a Journey To The Center of the Earth style biome! Not like the underground jungle which was very cramped, a whole new world underneath a world.

YoungUnicorn likes this.
  4. mo'guts

mo'guts Big Damn Hero

I think there will be a lot of resources the player will want to acquire at the bottom of most planets and/or there will at least be some kinds of treasures down there. :unsure::)

5. Soprano

Soprano Pangalactic Porcupine

Maybe you can go all the way to the core! You wouldn't survive though.

6. Nymz

Nymz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If they have mechs, i'm sure they have a unique vehicle made for drilling.

As long as I can dig for hours, I will be in all my glory. :lolwut:

7. Soprano

The underground jungle was awesome. It required some good armor, but it was worth it.

8. ThatAmazingPerson

ThatAmazingPerson Existential Complex

I think they will add tons of things underground. At least, I hope, as most of my gaming time will be spent underground!

9. mo'guts

mo'guts Big Damn Hero

Maybe when you start getting close to the core of a planet you start slowly taking damage and have to find a recipe for a suit that is sturdy enough to take the heat... pun intended. :whoop:

10. Soprano

That's what I was thinking. I see what you did there with the pun as well. :DD

11. mo'guts

mo'guts Big Damn Hero

^ haha, i couldn't resist :DD

I sure can't wait to see what happens when i start digging to the bottom of my first planet though.

12. Jojoloon

Jojoloon Aquatic Astronaut

As long as theres a lot of underground exploration this game should be fun.

13. pwnload

pwnload Big Damn Hero

or mabey u go to the other side of the planet :D

14. Zosimus

"Round planets have a super-heated core at the centre that could melt the player." -list of announced game info

sweet

Manilian and Durza like this.
  15. mo'guts

mo'guts Big Damn Hero

^ ahh I forgot about this bit of info. I'm going to have to go over that list a few more times. :zombie::oops:

16. Maverik

Maverik Void-Bound Voyager

I hope they don't go too overboard with the exploration. Sure, it's nice, but after playing something like A Valley Without Wind, which was very exhausting, I wouldn't say exploration is my highest concern at the moment.

Granted, it could just be how that game was presented, since I loved exploring the newer biomes the first time I saw them in Terraria.

17. iliekmudkips

iliekmudkips Big Damn Hero

does this game even have mining like terraria/minecraft? like, is mining a key thing in this game or just a luxury you get later on?

18. Vertash

Vertash Void-Bound Voyager

Huge fan of exploration , and mining too. Hope to have ample of both.

I'm particularly looking forward to seeing the mini domes inside larger ones, I think that'll add alot to the areas.
    No more desert area, with just cacti. but maybe an oasis , or field of flowers?

also: drilling vehicles!

19. M C

M C Parsec Taste Tester

there's already a screenshot of a character with a pickaxe.

20. The Enlightened Grue

The Enlightened Grue Master Astronaut

but IF there are mechs that can drill relatively fast....
    and since the core is super-heated...
    will there be a combination drilling/construction mech that lets us drill into the core by "constructing" a shaft as it goes in?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.