1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Exploration and Discovery

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by papusman, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Urza_

Urza_ Void-Bound Voyager

Personally I think whether the game will be a focus on combat or exploration or whatever else will be the personal decision of the player(s). Personally I would go with exploration, as that is my absolute favorite part of any game ever that implements it.

2. Cobalt16

Cobalt16 Pangalactic Porcupine

The combination of exploration, combat, and an infinite universe was something that we haven't seen since Spore. Judging by what we have heard so far from the developers, I think Starbound will take Spore to a whole new level. Randomized terrain and planets make each play through unique, which is something that I like personally. The addition of combat and random items just makes Starbound that much better. : )

3. GameGecko

GameGecko Cosmic Narwhal

Might not look like it, but koala's love exploring, and i'm one of those koala's!

4. Serris

Serris Scruffy Nerf-Herder

so what you're asking is that the developers spend time (and thus money, since people don't work for free) on items a lot of players will never see in-game? can you see why that might be bad business?

5. Jermex

Jermex The Stampede Forum Moderator

They did mention it would be slower than terraria. Which is nice.
    And also, it has no ceiling like terraria. When you have all the TOP gear, Threat 100 planets will still be a challenge.

I myself am looking forward to the exploration aspect the most. But what I heard of the combat intrigues me.
    I know they mentioned shields and enemies will shield also. Making battles more like duels or fire fights. where terraria is just "ooh and enemy,*splat*"

6. Gemini

Gemini Subatomic Cosmonaut

If you're a koala, why is your name "GameGecko"?

This is an interesting thought, but for some reason I can't help but feel negatively about it. Maybe in my head I just imagine it as something that people would never stop bragging about to the point of being obnoxious... I don't know... Anyway, I think that the reason why movies/books/TV shows all explore the mystery and exploration of space while games generally do not is because most games now that are of a sci-fi feel trade off exploration / study of the game's universe to make room for more story and elements present in 3D games. My knowledge of console programming is very limited, but I'm sure that since most big games at the moment are 3D, the 3D element of it just takes too long to work out and takes too much space in the game for there to be some of the things Starbound is going to have.

7. GameGecko

GameGecko Cosmic Narwhal

Because that my nickname, duuuh xP

8. DeusExel

DeusExel Big Damn Hero

what would exploration be without fighting? Boring! I like th idea of the planets difficulty level. I like the ultra-hard-running-around-and-dieing-all-the-time.
    what about random generated ruins with planet coordinates...

9. Gemini

Gemini Subatomic Cosmonaut

'Tis a very odd nickname for a koala... Hm... Maybe I'll take the koa from koala and the ko from gecko and henceforth refer to you as koako instead.

Edit because I don't want to double-post:
    I agree, the ability to go to planets with lower difficulties or higher difficulties is something I'm looking forward to. Though, I probably would try to avoid dying all the time myself. :D

10. DeusExel

DeusExel Big Damn Hero

*facepalm*

11. RitsuHasano

RitsuHasano Existential Complex

The idea is amusing. Have someone who thinks that since they are pretty much conquering one world, they can do the same in another. Then they head on over, see how menacing things are and then-- OH GOD, MY SPLEEN!

12. Deathend

Deathend Pangalactic Porcupine

well, you must be happy now, mu made my blood frozze and i want to play the game now, extremely desesperate ¬¬

13. DeusExel

DeusExel Big Damn Hero

sorry its our job... no wait... i dont know

14. gamerman1352

gamerman1352 Void-Bound Voyager

Im really hoping that this game will have the things that Terraria and Minecraft were missing such as not having such limited content and hopefully a more randomized armor/weapon system. Im definitely looking forward to the taming and exploring.

15. JohnDevince

JohnDevince Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I am also looking forward to this! Along with many updates to come :D
    But yeah, exploration and the whole space shuttle idea seems pretty genius!
    ~ John

16. Mrhighseas

Mrhighseas Star Wrangler

I have to agree with Pixie, I hope that everything gets equal attention. That way, when I've burned myself out from exploring for 100 hours, I can focus on questing or fighting or building before going back to exploring, and vice versa.

Welsh is Welsh.

17. Deathend

Deathend Pangalactic Porcupine

im sure that this game will be so cool, space exploration proceduraly planets/npc/quests/items generation, taming monsters/animals shields whith risk taking combat, building and personalize almost anything, multycolor lolypops that launches lazer beams....
    it has everithing a creature from every dimension whould like...

18. 777eza

777eza Existential Complex

I'm excited about exploration of the game hopefully it will have the mass of Evochron Mercenary theirs systems in there that sill haven't been discoverer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.