Dev Blog Experimental Changes

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by SamuriFerret, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Somewhere between the two.

2. quakeman00

quakeman00 Pangalactic Porcupine

Youve already answered all my wants with finishing the missing species villages , the only thing left that could make the game better is allowing to make weather in a barren planet youve colonised and terraformed.

3. Ishrindor

Ishrindor Cosmic Narwhal

I still think this update will kill this game, if we can't stack the food what's the point of having it in the game.
    I mean what are we suppose to do, have about 1000 or so boxes with just food in them so we can have something to eat?
    Or wait for someone to make a mod to make the food stack-able once again?
    If you are going to make food none stack-able why not make the seeds the same way or the ore?
    If your going to screw with the players in this game 10x over why not force the ores, blocks, and other stack-able items to not stack.
    If your going to force this on us.
    Cause really your only killing the game if this stays.

4. LOL BALL

LOL BALL Existential Complex

Food nonstackable = Entire game ruined? Hahaha, riiiiight. :V

They could add a stack limit for food, like 10 or 15, but I don't see how non-stackable food ruins the entire game. Because you can't have 1000 cakes in your pocket, the game is ruined? (yes, i am aware you can put tons more than that in your inventory)
    What kind of logic is that? There are many things in this game, and that can't possibly be the reasoning that makes the game "bad". They're trying to make the hunger and food more realistic and reasonable.
    The point is, you're making this far more over-dramatic than it needs to be.

Sylxeria and Ainzoal like this.
  5. Mackinz

To provide temporary sustenance to prevent death from hunger and not be carried around as a permanent source of healing.

Just because you don't like it, does not mean it will ruin the game. If you play on Casual, just use Bandages or Nanowraps to heal, and Stim Packs for cool effects.

6. quakeman00

why wouldnt it be betetr to eat 1 of a thing to heal wounds and get a buff for a while instead of eating 20 of them and taking 10 bandage for the same result

to me thats eem like a fair trade , also its not like there was a sortage of food in the current version where hunger isnt a problem , and lets be honest , how long do you stay on a planet that isnt you home base, 30 minutes? 1 hour ... maybe up to 3 hours for maximum harvest and doing an eco terrorism and destroying the entire planet echo system and landscape

that be like 10 slot of food ... how bad can this be , wrap back to farm or fridge , pick some shit up and repeat

7. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Food can spoil now. That means one pie != any given other pie, even if the difference in spoilage is less than 0.001. And items with different parameters have never stacked. So no, tgey actually can't make the stack limit anything >1.

Not stacking nonspoiling food too is just fair at that point.

LOL BALL and Tamorr like this.
  8. Ishrindor

Ishrindor Cosmic Narwhal

Well when the player base starts to drop because of this screw up don't come telling me I was right.
    Cause I give up on this game and it's developers.
    They have ruined their own game due to this.

9. Mackinz

As the current maintainer of More Farming, aka the More Food Mod... lol, nah. Easy mode is changed now, and that's a good thing for people who are interested in a challenge which hunger is being designed to give. Casual difficulty players don't have to eat food, and hunger isn't a walk-in-the-park with massive backlogs and backlogs of permanent food.

Sylxeria and Ainzoal like this.
  10. Stackpakadudu84

Stackpakadudu84 Big Damn Hero

I use Starbound as a base game and enhance it with a lot of mods (More tools, more biomes, more science, more techs, more mounts and yes, even more variety on plants and craftable food items). Don't you think there will be a mod for your specific wish of non-spoiling food items that are stackable again? Maybe I would use it too, though I like the game to use more survival mechanics.

11. Dunto

Dunto Guest

They could always just make it so that if you stack food the entire stack gets set to the most spoiled value (pulling one off still will use the stack values). Then those that want stackable food can have their cake and let it spoil, too. :V

Or, y'know, if you don't like the hunger changes, mod them to what you want. Just sayin'.

ApexCollective and Tamorr like this.
  12. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Don't worry.

We won't.

13. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

Food....in a way, are super stims

i thinks alright if they weren't stackable, it would give the player an incentive to craft the food together into smaller more beneficial items. I have 4-5 food items that provide different buffs, I cook and combined them into a dish, i open up space in my inventory, i get an edible item that gives me 2, sometimes 3 buffs. I'm actually ok with it not being stackable.

However.........

I will say perhaps have items like dishes be non stackable, but foraged items likes grapes, carrots, wheat, be stackable to a smaller degree (like 50)

14. arinn9889

arinn9889 Void-Bound Voyager

I really like the idea of planets having multiple biomes as well as sub biomes, but I also like the idea of having a planet contain a single biome (and maybe a sub biome) such as a completely forested planet or a planet that is just a giant desert. I am excited for having multiple biomes per planet, but I really hope that we do not lose our one-biome planets to accommodate the addition of the multibiomed (it's a word now :p) planets.

That being said, I think there should be relatively few single biome planets just because having to many will get boring after we've been spoiled with these new planet types.

Anyway, I can't wait to see all these new features in the final game, and I will continue to play and enjoy the nightly build :D

15. tiitha

tiitha Subatomic Cosmonaut

I really just want to see some meaty content... I feel like most of the game is just fluff. Nightly updates are okay and all, but you can't really have any substantial gameplay updating like that. Focus on the main part of the game and when the game is released, then you can focus on the extra stuff.

16. Dunto

Dunto Guest

Specifically define "fluff" and "meaty". The changes they are making range across the scale from game mechanics to cosmetic changes. As was said in prior blog posts, it's hard (and boring, for average users) to post about game engine stuff, it's much easier to show pictures/art (which sometimes tend toward cosmetic changes). Usually the major backend changes are only mentioned as something like "made changes to improve performance" or something along those lines. Read the first post in this thread. Those are not all minor changes, exploring and dungeons/missions are core parts of gameplay. Performance improvements usually entail major engine changes as well, but the details are hard to share in a user-friendly way (and again, boring for the average user). If exploration, dungeons, and/or building aren't major parts of the game for you, you may be looking in the wrong genre for the game you desire.

Have you ever played Nightly? The broken parts are broken due to work in progress on that part of the game or another part related to it. Nightly is literally whatever changes have been made for that day. If the changes are major enough (say, overhauling a core mechanic) then quite often the Nightly branch does not build and therefore that day's changes do not get pushed to Steam. If by some coincidence it does build during such a major overhaul, it doesn't always run. If you do manage to download a new version of the Nightly and get it running during a major mechanic overhaul, it's likely due to the devs disabling or temporarily patching part of the system so the player can't reach the current WIP parts of the game, allowing them to still play somewhat (just search for "nightly matter manipulator" and see how many posts there are, it was disabled since the current quest chains are being overhauled and tweaked, or look for posts regarding the food/buff system around the time that was being worked on).

This is literally what they are already doing. It's why some things may be pushed off as post-1.0 patches. Use the Search box in the top-right corner of the page to search the dev blogs and other threads like this one for more information.

I suggest you look at the progress from a macroscopic perspective; look at the changes made from one Stable update to the next. I think you'll find far more has been done than you realize. With the number and frequency of blog updates, it can be easy to only see a few trees instead of the whole forest.

17. Hebephryo

Hebephryo Phantasmal Quasar

Contact damage doesn't change the difficulty of the game. It just makes combat annoying. Hunger, temperature, radiation, status effects, critical hits and other stuff raises the difficulty of the game.

Leak and ApexCollective like this.
  18. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Hunger adds tedium, not difficulty.

Contact damage in itself is minimal, but more of a "oh shit, I gotta watch my health" mechanic. Many many many many games use damage on touch. It should teach you to keep your distance.

Thalant likes this.
  19. Thalant

Thalant Zero Gravity Genie

I'd say it'll be out around April - but that's just my guess based on how often they release updates and the current state of this one.

20. quakeman00

i like how you jump to conclusion and cry about something you havent tried. ladies and gentlemens this is what millions of years of evolution of humanity lead up to.

Sylxeria, Kawa and Ainzoal like this.