Expanded TV?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by seth0et0holth, Dec 21, 2016.

1. seth0et0holth

seth0et0holth Star Wrangler

So Surenu mentioned adding news to KOZU in another topic, which I thought was awesome, but so... I have a few more ideas inspired by that. Hopefully none of them will upset anyone (there's nothing awful here, I don't think...) so here's a few ideas, all dependent on the TV you have, too :)

Starter TV:
    KOZU with weather forecast + news.
    Fortune teller channel
    Living Off The Land/Queen of Sauce (our current setup + news)

Floor TV (or the next upgrade from starter):
    All of the above in Starter TV, obviously
    Sports Channel: Features sports for every season, most notably gridball in Fall/Winter (and we should add some others, like a baseball equivalent? I like baseball IRL ahaha)
    Talk Show: A little fluff where someone is being interviewed, and occasionally a townie can pop up there.
    Soap Opera/Dramatic Serial: An ongoing almost parody drama story that continues throughout the year. Can you resist the temptation to catch up with the episodes, even though it takes time in which you could be doing other things?
    Kids' Show: Put it on before you leave the house to make your kid happier.

Plasma TV (final upgrade, can cost more than currently does if we implement this)
    All of the above in Starter and Floor TV, obviously
    KOZU upgraded to offer two-day weather forecast
    Sports Channel upgraded - now, you can randomly host the Gridball game as an event on your farm. Can you set out a spread for the ultimate Super Gridball game? Idea being that you have to cook two to four dishes to "win" the event.
    Shopping Channel: Random item appears, with option to buy it. Sometimes these can be really, really good, but are also really, really expensive (more so than merchant or Krobus).
    Travel Channel/Biography: Describes a different person or place in the world/in lore even if not in the valley.
    Special Holiday Programming - for each holiday, something unique - I'm thinking for last night of the year, something like a special music piece in tribute to what I'm modeling some of this on, NHK's Kohaku. For Spirit's Eve a cheesy but not REALLY scary ghost story. Etc...

• Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

I'd also like to see an event, maybe on the third year or so, where the player is interviewed. "And today, we have a special guest. A guy/girl who left everything behind to start a new life as a farmer in Pelican Town. Let us welcome...[Player Name]!!!"

That's a great idea! I'd really love me some teleshopping :D

Maybe we could add something akin to the Time's person of the year to that, so we actually get to know who runs things in Ferngill republic etc. Nice idea overall.

I'd adore a Stardew Valley Version of Dinner for One on that ;)

thunderlight12 and seth0et0holth like this.
      • Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

That would be really cool, actually. Having time pass whilst you "watch" the TV would make you have to decide to stay and waste time or go about your business.

And I, too, love the home shopping idea.

• Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

I think the news channel could also be used for wartime propaganda. Propaganda has been extensively used by every modern nation. Really, every single one. Even the oft-purported 'good guys' (as if such a thing exists in war, but that's a discussion I'll leave for a rainy day), forcing us to read between the lines to see what is actually happening.

Really, the war is one of the things that interest me the most in the fluff - it doesn't seem to affect our nation that much, so does that mean we're on the winning side? Or maybe it's just more like WW1 in that there's a battlefield somewhere and the fighting doesn't spread from there? What effects on the economy does it have? During war, everything is suddenly valuable - food, iron, copper, even (or especially) beer and wine. No offense, but aside from Kent, there really isn't much effect to the war going on in the game, yet there has never been a war the civilian population hasn't felt in some way.

Now, back to propaganda. News channels are a good way of spreading propaganda, since they're seen as, well, news and thus true, mostly. Propaganda news could include "Our heroic troops have taken the city of Whatevertown with only minimal casualties" or "Our brave farmers on the homefront have increased their output for our war efforts" (this one upon achieving the monoculture achievement or somethin')

• seth0et0holth

seth0et0holth Star Wrangler

All of these would be awesome!

(And another idea - to appear randomly on KOZU in spring, the tornado warning. It could actually be real if we do go with disasters in game, or it could be just aesthetic/cosmetic and/or "it just missed the town" if we don't) but lol, it's a farm, it needs that red screen and annoying noise. :rofl:)

thunderlight12 and Surenu like this.
            • Eikos

Eikos Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Needs a Children's Cartoon channel where we get snippets of highly exaggerated and cheesy one-liners as well as subtle references to other media :D

• Samu_San

Samu_San Void-Bound Voyager

Awesome Idea maybe a Planet Earth kind of channel..

thunderlight12 and seth0et0holth like this.
                • Jerev

Jerev Pangalactic Porcupine

Doing a channel each seems to be way too much work for CA. But one channel that has one TV show for each day of the week would be cool. Then the shopping channel could appear on special days like the travelling merchant.
                  Another addition could be that you need to buy a phone or send a letter when you want to buy something you saw on TV.

thunderlight12 likes this.
                  • Scritchowl

Scritchowl Big Damn Hero

Throw in a phone item for ordering stuff. Could get used for otherstuff but I believe the gbc harvest moon had a home shopping network

thunderlight12 and Surenu like this.
                    • Jayfeather980

Jayfeather980 Subatomic Cosmonaut

How about a show "Mr. Qi: Adventures in Space and Time" A Dr. Who parody implying that Mr. Qi is a fictional character that many people know about, but few know actually exists...

• TheTearer

TheTearer Phantasmal Quasar

Two-day, three-day weather as upgrades for TV would be awesome, yes please! And I love the idead of some fluff shows like soap opera and kids TV. Especially with the idead that it takes time to watch it but, oh, I have to know which dragon color Sho chose. I'd be watching the kids TV more than the soaps, can you tell? ;) And some special programs for the holidays would be cute, like shown in the evening after you get home from the Egg Festival, the Jellies, Spirit's Eve, and the Winterstar Festival? Yes, the kinds of specials they used to have on in early TV years that everyone would watch at the end of the day, and now are more for kids only (at least in the US) would be really neat. Bonus points if we get to make up someWinter carols!

• Cramped Sultana

Cramped Sultana Big Damn Hero

I think a talk show in the old style of Jerry Springer would be great. Then I can drag Shane on and get into a screaming match with him about how he prefers his beloved chicken to me. Then they can drag Pam out and I can learn that she's pregnant with Shane's baby, and we can get into a huge fight. (With Charlie the Chicken in the middle). Or if you're dating both Haley and Emily, having the sisters duke it out. Caroline drags Pierre on to tell him a shocking secret about Abigail. Ohhh, the Wizard and his ex-wife!