Environment Manipulating Foes

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by tyrannosaurusAdjudicator, Feb 25, 2012.

1. tyrannosaurusAdjudicator

tyrannosaurusAdjudicator Scruffy Nerf-Herder

One thing that the sandbox/adventure genre really brings to the fore is the possibility of manipulating your surroundings to gain the upper hand against your enemies. This is a viable tactic in other titles such as Terraria and Minecraft where one could simply cheap their way to victory by encasing themselves in dirt armor, for example. It's not always a bad thing, but I definitely think it was not one of the tactics that the game encouraged.

I think some enemies should be able to use the same principle to their advantage. I read that a few could influence the terrain by flinging dirt at you, but why not take it a few steps further?

Perhaps there is room for a charging type enemy that could crash through and destroy blocks, or a mole creature that could cover itself in mud blocks and then escape by digging downwards. There's the classic antlion buried deep beneath the sand, excavating a pit as you draw near. There could be a massive snail that leaves trails of acid or, on the other end of the spectrum, grass that brings forth plant life. They don't always have to be combat mechanisms.

They're just a few examples, but I think more creatures interacting with the landscape would really unify their presence in the environment while encouraging more player exploration.

2. Zman12380

Zman12380 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like this idea, it will add so much fun to the game that i already expect to be awesome!

3. Ner

Ner Subatomic Cosmonaut

This would be great addition to the game. Enemies that only try to bump into you to cause damage get kinda boring after a while. I want to see enemies visibly using their claws, heads/horns, beaks and projectiles to hurt you. Also, large enemies could stomp which would cause earthquakes, cause rock spikes to pop up and boulders to fall on you.

4. Ethric

Ethric Phantasmal Quasar

Yes please. It makes weak monsters frightening and give powerful monsters another reason to stay away from.