1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Energy Shield 0.9.1

An entirely passive tech that protects you by redirecting damage to energy

1. origamania

origamania Subatomic Cosmonaut

origamania submitted a new mod:

Energy Shield - An entirely passive tech that protects you by redirecting damage to energy

Read more about this mod...

2. origamania

If anyone has any suggestions for balance, it would be much appreciated. However, I will not deviate from the basics listed in the mod page.

3. MrMadJackVIII

MrMadJackVIII Void-Bound Voyager

I don't know if you did this on purpose, but the text is all white on a white background? I'm not sure if its customizeable, but my backgrouds white, so I can't see most of the text unless I highlight it. Just a small issue that might get some more people to download the mod.

4. origamania

Should be fixed now

5. origamania

6. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

An idea might be that it doesn't take directly from energy, but from a buffer. The buffer recharges from energy and while recharging takes quite a lot of energy per buffer point. Also the buffer recharges somewhat slowly. Such that you still feel the need to get to somewhere safe for a bit. Also progressively better tiers of shielding that you unlock as you advance. The better shields having a larger buffer and a faster recharge rate for this buffer. I'm thinking like

Code:
    self.bufferFillTimer = self.bufferFillTimer - dt

if not (self.bufferFillTimer > 0) and (self.buffer ~= self.maxBuffer) then
      if status.overConsumeResource("energy", self.fillRate * self.inefficiencyFactor) then
        self.buffer = self.buffer + self.fillRate
      end

if self.buffer > self.maxBuffer then
        self.buffer = self.maxBuffer
      end

self.bufferFillTimer = 1.3
    end

That would be the basic idea of charging the buffer.

Another thing - perhaps the shield is more or less efficient at absorbing damage from different sources. I'm not sure off the top of my head how you know that because I haven't looked into it. Statuses could give you a good clue I suppose. This shouldn't protect you from drowning damage, hunger damage, etc. Maybe lightning damage drains the buffer faster than kinetic, but fire damage less so than kinetic. That sort of thing.

Of course I understand the second idea increases the complexity considerably and might not be desirable to implement for that very reason.

jonathonspy likes this.
  7. origamania

While this idea is nice, it doesn't really fit the idea of my mod

8. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

No problem.