1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Elithian Races Mod - A Starbound Expansion 2.3.10

A Starbound expansion mod which adds multiple new races and additional content

1. Victorio_bb

Victorio_bb Void-Bound Voyager

No, but I think that you may be able to capture a Sandcrawler

2. Naillon

Naillon Void-Bound Voyager

Hey dude, could you give us the items ids? I really want to test the unique weapons but they take to much time to get, and I want to know the mod better

3. Victorio_bb

Victorio_bb Void-Bound Voyager

4. Drig insarcol

Drig insarcol Subatomic Cosmonaut

That's just one changelog update. There have been heaps of those in the last two months.

5. Mahazkei

Mahazkei Master Chief

Having played through Starbound with an Avikan character was awesome, and the style overall can be summarized in two words:

Bone Hunters.

The fact that you require enamel for nearly everything, and that forces you to hunt monsters at every opportunity, this race definitely favors the agressive stance.

That's not a bad thing, but it did put me in some hairy situations where I had to get into dangerous areas that my equipment wasn't meant to handle, and the only way I could proceed was to go nuts and slay everything I saw.

That was fun, and made more enjoyable by the Legendary weapons, as they spiced up the options I had, and each one stayed with me until I finished the main story.

Notably the Line weapons were immensely diverse and the Errasslayer's Lance was so useful against the comparatively weak enemies of the Ruin. The gnats would detonate each other and I'd try to chain them, when I wasn't using The Architect to mop up everything else.

Speaking of the Line weapons, I enjoyed them the most when playing this character, the high damage, projectile tracking, and each with it's own characteristics - despite the manuals saying not to tinker with them, the weapon behavior will change unpredictably, I wonder who listened to that warning - but it's all offset with a slow rate of fire, charge to fire times, and high energy consumption, but it was all so rewarding with a solid kick and impact on target.

But despite my time spent playing that character, I only found one Codex piece relating to Line weapons, and that was the obligatory "do not cool food on the heated elements of the firearm" manual and warning, which I found enjoyable, but didn't tell me much of the weapons' properties, aside from the high energy consumption translating into a relatively poor waste heat dispersal/conversion rate, AKA it's not super efficient, damage output aside, and it can be dangerous to wield, if the NPC Avikan telling me not to use one is any indication.

But that aside - which is quite a bit of info, now that I look at it - still doesn't tell me what the weapons actually are. They're not just Directed Energy Weapons, they track targets and inflict not just the high impact and damage output from the initial hit, but damage over time via a form of electrocution, which seems to be different. Maybe it's a microwave band radiation blaster, since the shots - excluding a few special cases - are all orange, the relative color of microwave radiation on the EM radiation spectrum.

And while I feel a little impressed with myself about this pet theory above, I don't really know what Line weapons are, and I've had no luck finding anything on them anywhere. Could someone tell me, or direct me somewhere so I may continue the hunt for knowledge?

-EDIT-

And another question: Avikan armor does not seem to be receptive to colored dyes - at least not most of them, as sections like hides and certain cloths are the only dyable parts. Is there something I'm missing?

6. Umbra420

Umbra420 Cosmic Narwhal

I think he was working on avikan paint for armour at some point, don't know how that's going.

I've no codex to share, but from what I've seen I'd reckon the line rifles turn energy into a more compressed and solid form and lunges it like a spear along a barrel of what I can only assume is the same type of electromagnetic array configuration used in modern day rail guns. More interactable and solid forms of energy are fire, which explains why some inflict a burn, and electricity, which explains the electrocution effect. Solid energy can also have a physical impact, although not all that high if it disperses too quickly(you feel pushed back by the gout of a flame).

I might be completely wrong here, but it is what I think.

7. Mahazkei

Mahazkei Master Chief

That is a much more rational explanation for why changing even the smallest feature would change the projectile's properties, and thus the weapon's viability in given situations.

The only thing that isn't clear on that front is how the projectiles track targets. Given, not all of them have tracking, or even phenomenal tracking, but enough do that it is a feature.

My guess - riffing off of your guess - is if the projectiles are solid-state energy directed outwards in a "line", hence the name of the weapon, then it wouldn't be impossible to give the projectile polarity, like a magnet, so it homes in on even the slightest EM field.

Problem with that is even with fine tuning over a number of years, the projectile would track everything, and it would lose cohesion and accuracy. Maybe this explains the Linebreaker's Bow, since it divides the lines into a shotgun, but the lines are not always emitted in the same formation, but then why don't the other rifles bug out?

Mm. Perhaps then it is the heat generated by the weapon. Say for a moment that this high-energy state physical matter behaves normally under thermodynamic laws - if they don't then that's... frankly terrifying - and that the excess heat which makes them so dangerous is meant to differentiate the projectile and it's temperature from the surroundings. Very few creatures in the natural world are able to mask their temperature to the surroundings perfectly. Either they have above temperature, or below, and either one is enough for the projectile to home in on it like a moth to a flame. The projectile wants to make the target's temperature in equilibrium to the surroundings, by adding heat so it is as warm or warmer than the surroundings, or it wants to combine with a warmer source, and bleed out the heat from it into the surrounding area rather than simply losing it all as it travels and disperses.

I suppose that explains the Linebreaker's Bow; the projectile's muzzle assembly is much more open, leaving to less accurate dispersal of heat and energy.

This has me thinking, now. I'm getting sidetracked, but this tangent feels too important to lose to a stray thought.

I remember finding one rare skull armor headpiece, and it gave me the feral effect, extra speed and jump height, but I didn't find any more of them, nor any ID code mention of them so I could experiment with them when I was finished. Would it be impossible to make different bone armor sets that can be used as crafting ingredients along with the metal equivalent of their tier, to make a substitute next level armor, or perhaps even a variant of stats, like the Aegisalt,Violium, and Ferozium have different properties?

I was a little disappointed with the Avikan's lack of ranged weaponry aside from bows, which are good, but boast too small a RoF and muzzle velocity for substantiated combat, and can be difficult for most people to get a handle on. If I were avikan, I'd try to make for some form of a combustion pistol, crush some coal down, mix it with crushed core fragments, get some few metals for internals and a few bones for a casing, and you could have a primitive bone musket, one with character and soul.

The avikan need more regular ballistic weapons in their legendaries, (more line weapons with unique properties would be nice, too, but I need variety before I get all the shiny toys) as well as a little more flexibility with metal. They used their sand, coal and iron alloys a little too much for my tastes, and it wasn't until later than they really came into use. Surely they use tungsten for primitive railgun weaponry, or titanium in armor and/or the manufacturing of drones.

I'll think of something else, but that's my piece for now. I'm just a sciencer, who overanalyzes fictional stuff, why should you listen to my tech tree nonsense?

-EDIT-

I just realized that the line weaponry should have recoil because of see the above. It's kinda a no-brainer, but I completely forgot about mentioning it.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  8. Armok

Armok Cosmic Narwhal

I think we might get more unique ballistic weapons for the avikan next update (which should hopefully come out in a few weeks if all goes to plan) but that's just a thought, more likely it'll focus more on the next race, the Aeginians

9. Mahazkei

Mahazkei Master Chief

Ooooooooohh, another technological and theological culture to dissect. I love my job. What do we know of them this far? I've only ever seen one of them, dressed sharply and standing at attention on the decks of the Starfarer's Refuge. She was polite, but I could not say much as to what their culture was like, unless I was supposed to take her uniform at face value and refer to them as a UN state.

10. Armok

Armok Cosmic Narwhal

since I'm lazy here's a google doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JY7uoA04Ojyl2vyTk4KypEHmGCHG8V4pgLQQjnsMT3o/edit?usp=sharing

11. Heriol

Heriol Void-Bound Voyager

Please, Aegonian, don't leave us in the dark! What are you up to? :D

12. Drig insarcol

Hasn't been an update on the github in a while. the last one was 10 days ago. But the aegi are looking pretty fleshed out. I'm just waiting on an THEA outpost for the trinks, aegi etc.

13. ZippoMoon

ZippoMoon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Anyone know hot to unlock the Aegi planing table?

14. Armok

Armok Cosmic Narwhal

I take it your using the dev version of the mod? at the moment it's uncraftable and can only be obtained from admin commands, it's recipe will be added in before the update goes live

15. ZippoMoon

ZippoMoon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks.

16. Mahazkei

Mahazkei Master Chief

I'm already getting pumped for such a race. It kinda reminds me of the Empyrean from "Angelmass", where instead of any offensive capabilities, they have beefed-up defenses and anti-munition capabilities, all supposed to last them and their fleet long enough to catapult the offending forces away.

The Empyrean stall their opponents - in space, mind you - long enough to calculate an end destination for them, and then they activate a device that launches the enemy away from them.

The actual difference here is the Aegi are not afraid to bring real firepower to bear in the name of defense, and they stick to that. But Even if they do not typically strike first, what offensive defenses they have are so powerful, it's not even funny. I'm half-expecting weaponry that forces enemies to keep their distance, and if they choose not to listen, and back off, then they get vaporized. Or maybe a configuration of defensive shields that can be accelerated towards opponents, knocking them around-

*gasp* Shield Bashing Volleyball. I would be so happy if that was a thing.

17. DMForrester

DMForrester Big Damn Hero

edited out

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  18. DinoExplorer2000

DinoExplorer2000 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

theres a Shield bash Tech in this mod. Be aware! you cant uninstall it without problems! and it might take some time to find the Techs!
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1115920474&searchtext=rpg

19. Drig insarcol

From what I have heard the Aegi mainly use mobile railgun craft to maintain distance with opponents while firing barages

20. Mahazkei

Mahazkei Master Chief

Distance with railguns, heavy shield usage...

Interesting. What is their stance on missiles and electronic countermeasures? We may be looking at a Caldari approach to warfare.