Modding Discussion Element switcher melee weapons?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Iaeyan Elyuex, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

We have element switcher guns, RPG Growth gives us a staff that does that, but the sheer amount of tied-together animations would make an "Adaptable Element Sword" nigh-impossible. Unless there is a way to reach into the file and change the "elementalType" field in the weapon on the fly, this seems out of reach. Is this even possible?

2. Magmatico

Magmatico Void-Bound Voyager

im not really sure. i bet its possible by messing with the .lua files and maybe making a new ability which switches "elementalType" to a different one. im gonna give it a shot, even though i barely know the basics in lua :D

3. Magmatico

pretty sure you can use activeItem.setInstanceValue or something. dunno about anything else, im still bad at it

4. Iaeyan Elyuex

Theoretically, all one would need is a Lua file that switches the "elementalType" tag based on an index in either the .weaponability or .animation file. Too bad I'm rubbish at Lua and I always foul it up when I try. It's a shame. I wanted to make a big, beefy gear-switching Monado thing.

5. The Avelon

The Avelon Phantasmal Quasar

Could make it a shift+right click ability for two handed weapons. One handed weapons would just be shift+fire I suppose.

Another method you could use is to make a crafting table to permanently change the element, but I think you want on the fly element shifting, right?

I can take a crack at this.

6. Iaeyan Elyuex

Yeah. In fact, that's better! Having a shift-rightclick switch the element, and still being able to throw a flying slash with right click! By the way, what part of the code is responsible for deciding whether or not the special can be aimed?

7. Magmatico

in stances, the "allowRotate" tag is. and yeah i actually think im just stupid :p i'll try it myself a different way