Modding Help Editing the cursors.xnb screws up the windows?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Minakie, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

I ran into a problem today. Several mods I was using (custom map, mouse house, dig spot, pets, livestock) had an optional cursors.xnb so I decided to edit the file in order to merge them all into 1 single file I could use. The problem is, every time I try editing the cursors.xnb file, my windows end up looking like this:

[​IMG]

Any idea how I can edit this file without screwing up my windows? .-.

P.s: I tried using XNB Extract and XNB Mod Toolkitv2 and the result was the same. I'm using Aseprite to edit the .png files while keeping the background transparency, which is what I always used for my other mods.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    • FieryChaos

FieryChaos Cosmic Narwhal

Do you have the original xnb? It is likely the xnb you unpacked already had those stray unwanted pixels. If you upload it I can fix it for you if you want (unless you want to yourself with light from a non-contaminated cursors.xnb).

EDIT: And oh, btw, the snow in that cursors file also has red pixels that need fixing.

eemie likes this.
      • Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

The original .xnb is fine, it's the extraction process itself that seems to be pixelating the light for some reason. I think I *might* have found a solution (by using XNB Kit 1.1 instead), but I still need to test it.
        Can you send me a zoomed in image of where the snow is so that I can try to fix it as well? There are so many things in this file that I feel lost. :D

• FieryChaos

FieryChaos Cosmic Narwhal

Sure. Helped @joyous.ariella with fixing red snow before, (image from her thread; EDIT: this is a not broken version just to show location. I use XNB Kit as well):[​IMG]

• Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

Thanks. I'm still in Summer but I guess I can trust the snow is now fixed as well since everything else seems to be working fine, even the windows.

Now... I wonder what I would happen if I were to change the look of the storage bin o,o
            Something tells me I'll be stuck exploring this file for a while. xD

• monteso

monteso Big Damn Hero

I too was having that same window light issue. I never even touch my cursor file, I think. By any chance can you post the fixed cursor file?

• Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

I'm assuming you want the vannila one, right?

Attached Files:

• TenkoKuugen

TenkoKuugen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

An easy way to fix this is to
                  1) Get the vanilla cursors.xnb
                  2) get your cursors.xnb
                  3) Get 1.1 XNB node from http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/xnb-kit-xnb-node-interface.125953/
                  4) Don't bother with the GUI tool, just copy the app folder and paste it over the app folder of your existing XNB node thing
                  5) Just use batch commands / command line to extract both vanilla and your custom cursors file (I keep a custom folder within my 'packed' folder where I put my own stuff while the vanilla stuff just sits in packed directly)
                  6A) get paint.net. just do. it's free.
                  6:cool: Open both in paint net
                  7) Find the faulty party in your cursors.png
                  8) Go to the vanilla one, press S, (selection tool), copy the parts from here that are faulty in your custom cursors, (use CTRL+C) and then go to your own cursors.png (also in paint.net) and just press CTRL+V, it will automatically paste your copied content over the same position it was copied from, perfectly (pixel perfect) replacing your thing (only exception is when you don't have the section on screen, just zoom out)
                  9)Save (automatic mode)
                  10) pack the cursors.xnb

The whole pixel error thing happens with old versions of XNB node
                  Took me 2 minutes to fix all my broken sections (torch light, snow, water, window light, and a few other things)

• monteso

monteso Big Damn Hero

Yes, thank you for that. Normally I would fix this myself, but I just haven't had the time.

• Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

I already know where the windows light, snow and water are. Could you guide me to the location of the others so that I can fix those in my file as well?

• TenkoKuugen

TenkoKuugen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

it depends on what is broken for you.
                        Open a vanilla cursors and your cursors in paint.net and just rapidly switch between them to check what's messed up.