Modding Discussion Editing sounds for mods.

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by ruddthree, Sep 23, 2017.

1. ruddthree

ruddthree Phantasmal Quasar

I've been on a quest to make my first mod for the past few days now. The prep work is done, and I'm ready to make the sound files. Let's say I downloaded a sound from something like freesounds.org and heavily edited it to fit my liking. Would this be copyright infringement and thus be unable to be distributed on the steam workshop or the mod repository here? Would an edit of the original game files be copyright-infringement as well? My guess is the answer to both of these questions is yes, but I just want to make sure.

Sparklink likes this.
  2. slowcold

slowcold Pangalactic Porcupine

Copyright I do know something about - if you are using a sound from freesound.org, there would be no copyright problems with your modifying and using it - as long as you give correct attribution.

Something like "robothurt sounds modified from freesounds(link to sound file, not just top level) courtesy of XYZ (original artist)" in the mod description both in the mod and once you upload it (and even as a comment in the mod code) would be fine.

3. ruddthree

ruddthree Phantasmal Quasar

That's what I thought. Thanks for the clarification.

Anyone else is free to add to slowcold's reply if something is in need of noting.