Modding Help Editing Entrance/Exit destinations

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Cindersnap, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Cindersnap

Cindersnap Void-Bound Voyager

Hey all, if I need to post this in the map editor pinned thread please let me know. I'm new to this forum and am not trying to break any rules!

That being said - so long story short, my mom wants to play Stardew Valley but the game is definitely too much for her, she really wants something where she can grow crops, save money, tend to her animals, and decorate her house.

I'm on a Windows 7 computer, I have Tiled map editor, Visual Studio 2017, and the ability to pack and unpack XNB files, so I've gotten that far. I've read through a lot of the code, and though my coding chops are rusty, I've got the jist of what's going on.

A lot of the discussions and tutorials online I've seen are for creating your own custom maps, or doing heavy editing within locations. What I would like to do is reduce the amount of map that is even available - I want to remove Cindersnap Forest, bathhouse/train station, and the mountain/mine. I'll also remove the bridges to clint's/joja.

I would want the "world map" to look something like this -

------- -------
    |Farm | Town |
    |*******|********|
    ------- -------
    |Beach |
    |*******|
    -------

So the Farm's south exit will go to the beach. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to go about this? Right now I'm not looking to edit the individual farm and beach maps.

Eventually I will also take out a lot of characters and move some people around so everything needed is available. For instance - I will remove Jodi, Sam, and Vincent and make it so when you enter their house, it is Marnie's instead. I am assuming that it will be a similar method to make this change as well.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide, let me know if you need more information!

Edit: Formatting

HopeWasHere likes this.
    • Escaleone

Escaleone Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, to start things off, there should be a set of properties in each map file that mark tiles as "warp" points, which move the player between locations. I *think* this property is also used by doors and other entrances. There's a discussion about editing them in this thread, although the editing details may differ between tools. Changing the relevant warp data (e.g. replacing "Forest" with "Beach" in a Farm map's properties) should effectively remove unwanted areas from the game.

If you're interested in making a SMAPI mod instead of directly editing the map files, you should be able to alter a map's properties when it loads and replace its warp data (see Modding:Maps on the wiki for some reference info, and the general Modding Guide for help starting a project as needed). This type of mod should be able to change warps without replacing map files, alter or remove unnecessary characters, disable quests and mail referring to content you've disabled, etc.

The quickest/simplest method would probably be to just edit the map files and replace their warp data, but given what you've said, the SMAPI route may be more appropriate. It'll take some digging into SMAPI's API and the necessary C# structures, but it should be capable of all the features you described, one way or another.

The wiki has a good supply of info about the modding process and various API functions. There's also a community page, mostly describing how to access the Discord chatroom if you want some live communication with other modders.

Hope some of this helps.

Cindersnap likes this.
      • Cindersnap

Cindersnap Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks! Between this and some help I got on the Discord server, I figured it out!

Escaleone likes this.