Modding Discussion Easiest to Hardest Mods To Make List?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Jessequest, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Jessequest

Jessequest Big Damn Hero

Hey,

I couldn't find things like this with the advanced search tool and am a newb trying to get in to modding. I just wanted to ask the modding community here what you think the easiest to the hardest type of mod to make would be, and possibly directions to (a place where I and others can figure out) how to make those types of mods?

For example, I feel like text editing is gonna be a lot easier than changing the base game's programming or whatever, but I don't know this. I'm hoping to get your opinions!

Another thing I was going to ask, but am not going to bother with another thread is what mods are least likely to most likely to break over a span of new versions of the game? I'm not the type of person who would necessarily be able to update my mods all the time if I get into them (read: I'm busy) so I'd like to make ones that stick.

So, what do you all think? I'd love to hear from you as someone interested in getting into modding Stardew Valley and other games in general.

Thank you!

Edit: Reworded some things for clarity.

• Moragaine

Moragaine Existential Complex

The easiest sort of mods to make are image or text replacers, using Content Patcher to load your replacements into the game; hardest are Smapi mods written in C# that actively change bits of the game. The best place to go for information and advice is the modding channel on the Stardew Valley discord. There's also a lot of information on the SdV wiki.

Jessequest likes this.
      • Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

If you make the mod open-source, when you're away other modders can help keep it updated by submitting pull requests and/or releasing unofficial updates.