RELEASED Easier Fishing (Standalone) (1.4 BETA + 1.5) 1.5a

Easier Fishing Standalone

1. springacres

springacres Phantasmal Quasar

No idea, but I mostly use Instant Fishing instead of this mod now. Maybe try that one?

• AmyRachaelNapier

AmyRachaelNapier Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks, just tried it though and it felt far too cheaty. :/

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Hmm. I don't get why it would suddenly stop working... what happens when you try? Does it do the old routine where the fish jumps around everywhere, or does the game crash upon trying to fish?

If the former, it is possible that whatever you used to get the game (GOG, Steam, etc) updated the game and replaced your modded Fish.xnb with the one that originally came with the game. In that case, simply reinstall the mod.

If the latter, I don't know... have you attempted installing any other fishing mods? If so, one of them could be conflicting.

As for the chests, I don't know.

• AmyRachaelNapier

AmyRachaelNapier Void-Bound Voyager

HI I'M REALLY DUMB. I use no-click fishing. I'm sorry, please ignore me.

Are the chests different to how this fish work? Sorry if you really can't do it, I'm just wondering.

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

When I was poking around with Fish.xnb, I saw absolutely no mention of chests and/or their mechanics.

The File Structure of Fish.xnb is rather simple, there's a few lines of code at the top of the file, and then the rest of the file looks a lot like a spreadsheet, where each fish has its own line, and is a string of variables such as name, cost, season, difficulty, type of fish (jumping, sinking, smooth, etc), etc.

So... whatever code the game uses to determine where chests pop and how often, I don't think was in the .xnb. I can look again.

*checks*

Nope, no mention of chests anywhere in that file. Dunno where that information is stored.

• veelarage07

veelarage07 Intergalactic Tourist

Hey There,

I just downloaded this mod hoping that fishing would become less frustrating, but I am having an issue. I am not getting any hits on my line when I try to fish. I will cast into the water, and occasionally it will make the sound that you usually hear when you get a hit, but the only thing that happens when you click is that you reel in an empty line. If I leave it in the water, it continues to make the hit noise intermittently, but never shows a hit or gives me the opportunity to fish. I have tried for several in-game hours at a time, over many different days, and in many locations and I have yet to actually get a hit since installing the mod. I don't have the original fishing file (because I'm dumb and replaced the original file), so I'm kind of stuck with this unless someone can help me find a solution. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• cadoized

cadoized Space Hobo

I followed the instructions and restarted my game with the mod installed, but it doesnt seem to do anything to the fishing?
                im not sure how its meant to work or look but the fishing is the same as before. any ideas on what might have gone wrong?

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Are you sure you moved the files properly?

The mod shouldn't change any looks or anything, it should change how hard the fish are. They should move around a lot less, which means it should be far easier to keep the green bar ontop of it. Now, if you're fishing Sardines, Sunfish, Smallmouth Bass or Carp or something like that, you're not going to notice much of a difference because those fish were easy anyways.

Try hooking something a bit harder and see if you notice the difference?

• Demogarose

Demogarose Subatomic Cosmonaut

is there any reason a Save with this mod installed would be broken by update 1.2? cuz since the update went live i can make new saves that work fine, but my old saves (like my 80 hour year 3 "i've done too much to want to start over" save) that had this mod on them just straight up CTD when i try to load them

• Xuomi

Xuomi Phantasmal Quasar

This mod edits the Fish.xnb file. With the new update to 1.2, the Fish.xnb that this mod used has been overwritten by the official version that was released, which will break any saves that had this mod previously loaded. That's why new saves are unaffected, because they don't have this mods Fish.xnb information loaded into its file.

You'll need to replace the Fish.xnb again, most likely.

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Yes, any time an update is released, you will need to reinstall this mod, because Steam will detect that your Fish.xnb is different than the one that should be there, and will re-download the official one.

• Demogarose

i tried just re-installing the mod, that did not work.

edit: i'll try it again just to be sure

edit2: yep, re-installed mod (again) and it still CTDs when trying to load the save. Perhaps the Mod needs to be updated?

• Demogarose

• FieryChaos

FieryChaos Cosmic Narwhal

@Demogarose Interestingly enough, I'm not having any issues with @margotbean no click fishing; that said, it shouldn't really be an issue with the OP as well since they both use the older format afaik (english only, no language support on many xnb mods yet; even so, changing language so it uses the other non-modded fish.xnb hasn't crashed me or reported an error either). It'd be helpful if you had SMAPI and could post an error log, along with a list of any other mods you might be using.

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I'll take a look at this tomorrow if I can fit it in, and see if Fish.xnb is one of those files that has a different yaml format. Shouldn't be a hard fix if it is.

EDIT: Wow, that's a lot of Fish.xnbs... ick.

Not good for a mod like this one, lol. I wonder why he chose to do it that way.. there surely was an easier way than this?

EDIT2: Okay. @Demogarose : Are you using a Non-English translation? Apparently, to do the localization, they made copies of the Fish.xnb files, and the non-English ones were changed as per the thread that you linked. The English ones should still work fine. I have verified that the English (Original) Fish.xnb was not changed in format. I deleted it and had Steam verify file integrity to make sure I got the latest version, and then opened it up. It's the same format as it has always been. The Non-English ones, however, are not.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
                              • Demogarose

nope, been using English from the start. :( i guess i'm just gonna have to accept the fact my save is broken.

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

That brings up a good point, does this crash happen with any other save file, or indeed a new game?

And how do you know the CTD is because of this mod? Did you try loading up that save without this mod?

This mod should not, in any way, affect your save file.

• Demogarose

I only had 2 save files before 1.2 released, both with this mod installed. Both CTD when trying to load them after 1.2

This is the only mod I have, and the only thing non-vanilla about my saves whatsoever.

I'm able to make and load new Saves just fine, without the mod, have not tried doing so with it installed.

TBH I have no idea why they are broken, but the mod seemed like a likely culprit after I had gone through all the steps trying to fix my saves to no avail.

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

That is weird, because I've been playing with the mod, and they don't crash on me.

I wonder if they just got corrupt or something? Who knows.

• margotbean

margotbean Existential Complex

@Demogarose - if you upload your corrupt save here, perhaps someone can figure out what's wrong with it. I'll certainly take a look. It can't hurt. :)