1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Dye Mod 2.1 (Enraged Koala)

Change the color of almost anything! (Previously Dyeing Bucket)

1. MrMagical

MrMagical Subatomic Cosmonaut

@Tripod
    Your first piece of code looks good except for one tiny little detail. Everything must be placed inside two { } brackets:
    Code:
    {
      "__merge" : [],
      "dyeEngine" : {
        "object" : {
          "whitelist" : [
            "locker128",
            "locker256"
          ]
        }
      }
    }

2. Tripod

Tripod Phantasmal Quasar

I did have the curly braces in my code, I just left them out of my post to save some vertical forum space.

But I did find the issue! It was just a directory error. I had it inside of objects\dyestation instead of objects\dyeengine\dyestation

Thanks again, everything's looking good now. It's just a bummer that there's no preview for objects in the dye station: upload_2014-3-3_12-38-15.png vs [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  3. Florrosada12

Florrosada12 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The dye bucket won't come up for me for some reason. Are there any mods that might cancel its functions out?

4. MrMagical

It's now called a Dye Station. If it can't be crafted try breaking and replacing any wooden or robotic crafting table.

5. Dark_Chaos

Dark_Chaos Subatomic Cosmonaut

just wondering, i want to install this mod, but what is the dyemodextras folder for?

6. Marcthpro

Marcthpro Scruffy Nerf-Herder

How do i post Error LOG ? the mod won't work no matter if i try with mod manager latest ver or by putting Dyemod & Dyemod extra In Starbound mods folder this is strange

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  7. MrMagical

Right now it just contains some extra colors that may be a little out of place. It's optional, but you'll miss out on things like diamond colored dye.

Does the error go away if you remove only DyeMod and DyeModExtras?

Judging from the error window it looks like a dependency problem, but my mod can't be the one doing that.

If you want to give me the log file you could open up starbound.log and copy all of it into this site. Then give me the link to it.

Marcthpro likes this.
  8. Marcthpro

Marcthpro Scruffy Nerf-Herder

finally molly the community manager told us why 90% OF mod don't work anymore it because of .pak so ur mod is not the reason my game wasn't starting but .pak that didn't get update today

so it gonna take like a 3-7 Day Before i can re-use all my mods then in a month rinse and repeat kinda like mouthwash gargling if you don't do it you get Error 37

9. Mushie

Mushie Phantasmal Quasar

Basicly just a bucket insted of a dying station. Crafted the same way as before.

10. MrMagical

11. Crystan

Crystan Maverick Hunter

Indeed, both options are pretty much inconvenient, especially if you have already a mod with many items but its already a freaking good solution.

The easist way i can think of would be (of course i've no idea if thats even possible or the bad side effects due to the increasing filesize with every new item that will be added to the object file) to mix the vanilla system with the new one as a third option. So that the colors are defined in the dye station object file in a very similar style of the vanilla system:

Code:

"ItemName1" : [
         "blue" : { "0875B2" : "3098B0", "043C7A" : "207090", "002347" : "205060", "6CC4DF" : "D8B8E0", "509BB4" : "806888", "35728A" : "504060", "C5DCFC" : "BFEAFB", "7495CA" : "1DD4FA", "3B5E96" : "0492B8", "355484" : "0482A4" }
         "red" : { "0875B2" : "E03030", "043C7A" : "A00008", "002347" : "89000D", "6CC4DF" : "F0F0F0", "509BB4" : "A0A0A0", "35728A" : "505058", "C5DCFC" : "C43367", "7495CA" : "742253", "3B5E96" : "591A40", "355484" : "421330" } ],

"ItemName2" : [
         "blue" : { "0875B2" : "3098B0", "043C7A" : "207090", "002347" : "205060", "6CC4DF" : "D8B8E0", "509BB4" : "806888", "35728A" : "504060", "C5DCFC" : "BFEAFB", "7495CA" : "1DD4FA", "3B5E96" : "0492B8", "355484" : "0482A4" }
         "red" : { "0875B2" : "E03030", "043C7A" : "A00008", "002347" : "89000D", "6CC4DF" : "F0F0F0", "509BB4" : "A0A0A0", "35728A" : "505058", "C5DCFC" : "C43367", "7495CA" : "742253", "3B5E96" : "591A40", "355484" : "421330" } ],

So "porting items" would be just copy & paste with a few adjustments and would make it much easier to implement new colors in my opinion.

Another and much easier solution would be to just reimplement the bucket as another console, so the mod still have support for the old dying system.

12. MrMagical

@Crystan
    The plan is to add a few extra modes that items can use:
    • Advanced Palette mode with extra options
    • Custom mode with full control over the data used
    • ColorIndex/ColorOptions mode to allow for the same results as the old dyeing bucket

13. Mushie

Mushie Phantasmal Quasar

I still wish you would make an alternetive download with dyeing bucket insted of dyeing station.

14. Crystan

Crystan Maverick Hunter

Oh well i think that sounds good.^^

You can download old version via the version history

15. Mushie

Mushie Phantasmal Quasar

But the older verson ain't updated to newest verson of starbound?

16. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

Hang on, I don't understand what the "DyeModExtras" file does. What is the difference?

17. MrMagical

It's an extension to Dye Mod that currently just adds some extra colors.

It's also a good example of how easy it is to extend Dye Mod.

Battle Bee likes this.
  18. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

So do I have to install them both?
    EDIT: I just checked what's in the file and yes, you do. Thanks!

19. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

I'm still a bet perturbed that this mod now wholly ignores dye configs put directly in item and object files by their creators. Also I've seen that starbound supports multiple color channels for items, letting you basically apply partial masks to items and make dye combinations. Would you be willing to try and add some sort of legacy mode that uses the old colorindex system and perhaps look into the masks method? RyuujinZERO (don't bother him in case I'm wrong though) is a supposed user of this system, and uses the classic orange, combined with 2 other sets of colors near black and white. ninja'd

My only other issue with this is that you still use dyes for every single color, and if you are a person who likes color in their life that becomes a problem fast, I was going to suggest a sort of printer cartridge item that bundles some of the secondary colors together and decrease the count of dyes from 16 to 8, 4, 3 etc. Though the ore colored dyes would be best left alone.

Otherwise, great mod.

20. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

This isn't really the place to ask; but I figure if *anyone* happens to know this, it'll be MrMagical

When working with objects in a brush entry in a dungeon file:

Code:
    "objectParameter": {
    "colour" : "ColourAliasHere"
    }
    Can be used to set the colour of an object. But what's the analogue property for setting the tile background/foreground colour?