1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Duplicating NPCs

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kuriiyo, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Kuriiyo

Kuriiyo Cosmic Narwhal

Okay so, I've done a little testing on my own, and I /think/ it's UI Info Suite, however I just had it happen on a save without that mod, so... I'm stuck. NPCs love to duplicate themselves. Mostly Harvey, Haley, Evelyn, Jas, but everyone does it.

My modlist is:
    Ento Framework
    Animal Husbandry (Butcher mod)
    Animal Sitter
    Bigger backpack
    Carry chest
    CJB Cheats menu + item spawner
    Climates of Ferngill
    Cobalt
    CookingSkill
    Custom Critters, crops, farm types, furniture
    Custom shops redux
    Expanded Fridge
    Fast Animations
    Teh's Fishing Overhaul
    Furniture Anywhere
    Get Dressed
    Gift taste helper
    Happy birthday
    Json Assets
    Longevity
    Moodfix
    More animals
    Museum rearranger
    portraiture
    PyTK
    Scythe harvesting
    Seasonal Immersion
    Skull Cavern Elevator
    Tractor mod
    UI info suite
    Visualize
    Zoomlevel Keybind

Note that I do have every framework and whatever that these mods rely on, and everything is updated. Nothing appears in the log when the NPCs duplicate.

Editing my save every few ingame days is getting tiring lol.

• Kuriiyo

Kuriiyo Cosmic Narwhal

Tiniest bump. n_n Still having this issue and it seems to be getting worse. Still not figured out what's causing it.

• RoastedDoughnut

RoastedDoughnut Void-Bound Voyager

Just wanted to chime in (and give you a little bump!) to say that I've been having the exact same problem, sporadically and seemingly out of nowhere. Interested to see if anyone can figure out where all these extra Linuses and Willies are coming from.

• Kuriiyo

Kuriiyo Cosmic Narwhal

@RoastedDoughnut What mods do you have, if you don't mind me asking? I'm doing some testing.

Edit:: After 2 ingame weeks of no duplicating, I added Climates of Ferngill back in, and Demetrius instantly duplicates.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
          • Meevers

Meevers Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm having this issue and I don't have Climates of Ferngil. I have:
            Ento Framework
            Better Fruit Trees
            Better Quarry
            CJB Item Spawner
            Cooking Skill
            Custom Element Handler
            Custom Critters
            Custom Furniture
            Expanded Fridge
            Get Dressed
            Happy Birthday
            Longevity
            Lookup Anything
            More Animals
            Quest Delay
            Seasonal Immersion
            SpaceCore
            UI info suite
            Winter Grass

Going from this I would say that this is something to do with the UI info suite or Longevity. I have NPC map locations and heart fill off in the UI suite to try and make it not touch the NPCs in any kind of way. I also have dynamic NPC clothing off in longevity so, again, it doesn't touch the NPCs. The last thing I did was delete everything in the DNPCC folder in longevity, I haven't tested this yet. Out of all the mods I have these two mods are the only ones that make any kind of sense when it comes to affecting the NPCs and cloning them. For me, Demetrius and Jas are the two that will ALWAYS duplicate themselves without fail after a few days, or sometimes if I walk in front of them when they're walking.

Also bearing in mind that I had all of these mods months ago, bar fruit trees, Ui info suite, and winter grass, when they were all older versions. I had zero problems. I came back to Stardew recently, updated everything and I am now having this problem. I have done nothing else but update the mods and SMAPI and added those three mods.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
            • Kuriiyo

Kuriiyo Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah I never had this issue before I recently got back into Stardew Valley. When I used to play, I didn't actually have longevity or Ui info suite. I think I used npc map locations, but never found issues with duplicating.

It's pretty much always Demetrius duplicating. Sometimes Abigail, Willy, Evelyn. Jas does it a lot too.

I'm seriously suspecting it's one of those mods. I can't live without Ui info suite but if it's going to duplicate my npcs randomly then I'll deal with it. As for longevity... I barely use it anyway.

I'll remove both and test it today, and let you know.

• Meevers

Thanks, would appreciate that. I'll test some things myself too and let you know if I manage to figure it out. Considering you already took out UI info suite before I'm thinking it might be something to do with longevity. Maybe even though I have the dynamic NPC clothing off there may be a bug with the setting perhaps? I've deleted the xnbs in the DNPCC folder though so I'll test that out today.

• Kuriiyo

Kuriiyo Cosmic Narwhal

I have a feeling it's something to do with DNPCC either bugging out, or conflicting with something else we have. It's hard to figure out when we don't even get an error whenever it happens.

• Meevers

Just an update. I've not had the duplicating bug since removing the DNPCC folder from the longevity mods folder. It could be that it just hasn't happened YET, though, since it's sporadically happening. If it still happens again I'll let you know.

• Kuriiyo

Kuriiyo Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah I got nothing when I removed that folder, but I'll keep testing. Currently played 20 days with no duplications.

Meevers likes this.
                      • rosesandrue

rosesandrue Void-Bound Voyager

hi ! i've got duplicating abigail, caroline, and gus over here ! both as sprites and in my social menu. here are the mods i have:

baby & toddler cp replacements
                        better ranching
                        bigger backpack
                        carry chest
                        elle's chicken, cow, duck, and grass replacements
                        get dressed
                        gift taste helper
                        happy birthday
                        monteso kitchen cp
                        more animals
                        more artifact spots
                        museum rearranger
                        npc map locations
                        simple crop label

as well as entoarax framework, content patcher, console commands, seasonal immersion, and xnb loader.

i think i noticed caroline glitch first, and i'm 90% sure it happened after i downloaded the artifact-spawning mods. but all of you have different duplicating characters, and different mods. do we still have no clue why this is happening? i don't like when things aren't sorted !

• Meevers

Nope still not 100% and am still getting the glitch. I'm still testing mods. What you said, however, may be true. Better Quarry spawns nodes and tells you it's done so via the SMAPI console. Cooking Skill also has a daily message on the SMAPI console of it saying it's rebuilt menus. Last night I noticed some correlation between the messages popping up and a random NPC duplicating themselves. It SEEMS to happen at the same time, randomly. I was keeping an eye on the SMAPI console and each time it told me it had spawned in an item or rebuilt menus (mostly both happen simultaneously) I would look at my NPC list and I did catch a duplication twice in a row doing this, I'm just REALLY hoping that this it true now, and it was indeed linked and not some weird coincidence. I took out Better Quarry first, since it was spawning items and I still got duplication which leaves Cooking Skill. Today, I am going to try them both out of my game since they are spawning and rebuilding menus daily and more or less at the same time as one another.

• Kuriiyo

Kuriiyo Cosmic Narwhal

Oh? That's an interesting find. I haven't actually had the time to play Stardew much over the past week, so I haven't been able to test anything... But I'll definitely try that out when I have some time, as I do have both of those mods.

• Meevers

I took both out, and I still got a duplication. I seriously don't know what's causing this at all. :/

The only thing I can say for sure is that it's happening at night/at the start of a day. Not every time, but randomly. The NPC it affects is also completely random.

Edit: Mods that I've taken out and tested so far:
                              Longevity
                              UI Info Suite
                              Better Quarry
                              Cooking Skill
                              Better Fruit Trees
                              Winter Grass
                              Happy Birthday

I'll take out more animals next seen as it's one we all seem to have and I guess it also daily spawns a new animal in the box, just as the two i took out also spawn/do stuff daily.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
                              • Kuriiyo

Kuriiyo Cosmic Narwhal

I've found there seems to be certain NPC's I've not seen duplicate. Sam, for example, I've never seen do it. Marnie, too. Maybe that's just the RNG of it, but I dunno.

More animals is a decent guess. I'll remove it as well and see what happens. (After I edit my save to remove the duplicates.)

Failing that, I really have no idea. I guess it'd be time to try and dig out all the XNB edits we all have (seriously doubt they'd cause it, but--) and updated mod lists, and go from there. It's baffling.

• Meevers

Okay. I have extensively tested the game without the More Animals mod in and managed to play for 6 days in a row, followed by a break, and then 15 days in a row (quite a few hours of play) without an issue. From my experience, this glitch surfaces in a much shorter amount of time and I managed to have a long play session without it surfacing whats so ever so I'm going to say that this has fixed the issue for me.

I'm not 100% sure if this is to do with More Animals specifically or, as I said before, things spawning in the mornings since this is when the glitch seems to occur. I will put Better Quarry back in tomorrow to test that theory. If, however, I still get no issues with Better Quarry in then it would seem the glitch is directly linked to More Animals, if I do get issues it may be a SMAPI issue instead.

Edit: Played quite a long time again today with Better Quarry added back in. The issue still hasn't returned, so perhaps this issue is to do with More Animals after all. Honestly, I'm just happy to not have to edit my save file anymore.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
                                    HopeWasHere likes this.
                                  • Kuriiyo

Kuriiyo Cosmic Narwhal

Right, since removing More Animals and playing over 20 hours in-game, I've had absolutely no issues with NPCs duplicating... Maybe @Entoarox can look into this? Apologies for the mention, but it's the only mod I've found where the issue actually stops if I remove it.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

More Animals does not edit the list of NPC's in any way, please verify the issue happens with *only* More Animals (And any mods it depends on), if not I will have to assume this is another mod running into issues because of More Animals.
                                      Further, you have not provided a log at any time, thus I cannot check if any errors have happened which could point to what the issue is.

Thus, until you provide A, a log of the error happening, and B, notify me that the issue happens with *just* More Animals, there is nothing I can, thus will, do.

• Kuriiyo

Kuriiyo Cosmic Narwhal

There is nothing in the log when it happens. I have watched as the game loads into a new day and open my social menu to find someone has duplicated, and the log says nothing out of the ordinary.

I have tested it again and again and again with many many different combinations of mods, and it is only once I removed more animals that it actually stopped. I removed every mod that edited npc behaviour in any way, and it still happened with more animals there. I even completely wiped all of the xnb replacements I have.

But if you want me to do another 20 hours of the game just to test, then fine. Give me a week.

HopeWasHere likes this.
                                        • Meevers

Considering there are three of us in this thread that have listed our mods (which are mostly all different) and all have More Animals in common and the issue is only stopping once More Animal is removed it's rather telling imo. I even removed the ones that we did have in common, keeping More Animals in, and again it only stopped once More Animals was completely removed. There has never been a log when it happens, either, as Kuriiyo stated. SMAPI doesn't pick it up.

I will test as well, though. Even though we've both been consistently testing for the past two weeks and only got it to stop by removing this mod.

HopeWasHere likes this.