1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Duplicate Crew?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by moomoomilkman, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Yusuke Urameshi

Yusuke Urameshi Space Kumquat

Yea I didn't see any mention of it on the changelog. I saw that crew member damage scaling has been improved. Thank God! But with the duplication glitch still around, I'm not going to recruit anyone.

2. Koh

Koh Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I did the research and that's how I found this post.
    The last update didn't work for this bug.I still see the duped crew members, and my fuel bar glitched as well.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    argenex likes this.
  3. moomoomilkman

moomoomilkman Void-Bound Voyager

i believe the reason the fuel bar glitches is because when the ship gets an upgrade, all fuel capacity upgrades are reset. which was supposed to be updated in this last update

4. stfuen

stfuen Void-Bound Voyager

So I have 12 crew members now :) no duplicates. isnt 10 crew members max?

5. Koh

Koh Scruffy Nerf-Herder

12 is the Max Crew Members Capacity at a full Space Ship expansion. Getting the bug would get you with 24 Crew Members instead.

I'm speculating that the trigger of that bug might be caused by a Tailor unit somehow.

6. moomoomilkman

its not caused by tailor, if it was i wouldnt have gotten the bug till this playthrough, i just got a tailor. um, it isnt mod related, becuase that one nice poster had the same issues without mods. i believe its simply chuckle fish missing a line of code or two when its comes to teleporting.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  7. argenex

argenex Void-Bound Voyager

Yep it *might* be some sort of lag between clients... except that doesn't explain why it also persists in single player.

Just had a friend try to recruit a solider from one of my worlds, he has no tailor, his crew duped.

Pretty much at this point with the whole outpost not carrying over to singleplayer and crew duplicating, seems pretty pointless to even bother trying to play with friends. I honestly feel like they removed a ton of content and bailed on the game.

8. moomoomilkman

well, its still a fantastic fucking game, pardon the language. all of the issues I've had including the outpost thing is crazy minor. the outpost is an easy fix. just when you do go to a friends game, make sure that you do the EMF mission (first main story mission) and carry 20 core fragments with you if you plan on going and playing by yourself. the outpost does carry over, you just have to beat the bosses yourself, and make sure you have fuel to get to a gentle planet, find a gate, and use the fragments. you should be good! and the amazing community has offered numerous temp fixes for the crew dupe bug, and all of these are acceptable (to me) untill CF gets through them! The main issue with the outpost not carrying over is that if you are playing on your friends world, nothing will save to YOUR universe file. including bookmarks and whether or not you opened the outpost, while all the MISSONS (and whether you completed them or not) saves to your CHARACTER file. so if you completed up to say... the hylotl mission... in your friends world, then when you go back to your universe you will have still gotten that far. but if you havent opened the outpost yet, you just have to find a gentile planet and do that, then carry on as you see fit! None of these issues are permanent non playable things. yes, they are very annoying, but still chucklefish has made an AMAZING game, with almost INFINIT replay value. Because I guarantee that your base will never be perfect. not to mention, steam workshop. :nuruhype:

9. stfuen

stfuen Void-Bound Voyager

I had no tailor, no mod. I did however play on my friends server, and has been switching from my server to his many times. My crew hasnt been duplicated since I stopped playing on his server though.

argenex likes this.
  10. argenex

Unfortunately, myself and several of my friends utterly disagree. We are unable to play together because of the issues, and honestly it has ruined the game for us.

Play together, get crew duplicated. No thanks.
    Play together, accomplish essentially nothing because we will have to do it again when we are alone (except for the last key, you can not do that if you already did it in multiplayer, and the tech missions).

So the game is basically single player in its current state. Honestly we had more fun playing together in the version of the game before they released 1.0, now it's just a mess.

Zipporah likes this.
  11. Zipporah

Zipporah Void-Bound Voyager

I have a solution!-- even though it's annoying to go through, it's well worth it. Click on crew members and dismiss them all, until that stops working then trap the crew and murder them with lava :D! sometimes they'll just sit there and burn so you need to suck up some of the lava at the crew's specific location until you hear the burning and sizzling sound. It all starts with the tailor so you can continue to recruit people, just avoid recruiting some one who would like to be a tailor. :nuruflirt:
    I was having horrible issues myself with well over 50 extra crew members-- they never stopped spawning... Eventually I started to lag from it but I came up with this fix after reading another persons click-on-and-dismiss fix, which didn't work on all members of crew. This pic isn't even when it was at its worse! The next day log in had me in tears :nuruconfused: 20160731041000_1.jpg
    --- Post updated ---

I added you on team <3 to post the fix to you! if you check up above, I posted a comment with a solution. It'll takes a bit of time, but it works. If your friends have crew from you on their ship, they only need to lava the hell outta them <3

12. argenex

I already put up a comprehensive how to fix post in this post and in multiple places, which includes also killing them with lava. Thank you though. Also it isn't just the tailor; I've had a friend's crew duplicate whilst not having a tailor, and have had many replies/messages from others who have duplicated, but no tailor.

At this point we need Chucklefish to weigh in; seems like they have utterly stopped paying attention.

13. PAHNKAPIE

PAHNKAPIE Space Hobo

I'm having this same problem x.x It's not going well. There's gotta be a way to get rid of the rest of the crew D: All these copies are driving me crazy

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  14. moomoomilkman

Did you read the rest of the replies and comments? theres at least 3 ways to do it.

15. killfalcon

killfalcon Poptop Tamer

The server I play on was unusuable and had this bug, but I don't think the bug caused the problems, because we fixed both at once by moving the server onto a RAM disk. That cut loading times down to almost nothing, and the dupes stopped entirely.

I think what happens is during unusually long teleports (time0wise, not distance: teleports are just loading screens after all), the game gets confused and screws up loading/unloading NPCs, resulting in the duplicates. The server dies during teleports... because the teleports are taking too long for some reason. Maybe it's just not handling delays and time-outs well, and starts re-requesting dataloads or something.

argenex likes this.
  16. Cloud_9_Gamer

Cloud_9_Gamer Orbital Explorer

I HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM.

First and foremost, go into the Crew preferences within SAIL and delete ALL crew members that have a duplicate. This will kill off the originals.

Take the/a (if you have more than one) duplicate and and the original to the planet. Then teleport to your ship. It should come back with you. Go into SAIL. It will say the crew member is still there. This will TEMPORARILY solve the problem. Do this as many times as you need to. Essentially, you can kill off ALL of your crew members in doing so, IF YOU DON'T WANT THIS EVIL BUG TO HAUNT YOU OVER AND OVER.

You're welcome! :D

17. Megumin

Megumin Guest

/spawnmonster poptop 99999 aaaaaaand dooone

18. Linxx

Linxx Space Hobo

So I've been having this bug as well but I think I've found a solution to get rid of all the duplicates. First off it seems there are two ways you can have doubles:
    1. (Usually this happens after I do a mission and bring a person along) I beam to the ship and suddenly the crew just doubled
    2. All of my crew beam with me wherever I go even if I don't bring anybody along (and if I were to beam back to my ship they beam there too and then there are more extras)

In scenario 1 all you have to do is just talk to one of a kind and all (or most if there are so many people it's hard to find specific members) of their extras and then beam down and back up (when you beam down you should only see 1 of the person). Then just keep repeating that until you only have 1 of a kind of each person (Note: if you beamed to a different planet because one planet already had a bunch of copies on it then once you finish getting rid of the doubles on your ship go back to that planet (which had the other copies) and kill them with lava)

For scenario 2:
    1. Beam down to a planet (Note: don't get anybody to purposely follow you, beam down "alone")
    2. Make sure that ALL of your crew beam down with you (if not you won't be able to get back the missing person) (although I'm 90% sure when this bug occurs that your entire crew will beam with you so there but there have been rare occasions where one might not have beamed with me for some reason so I would check just to make sure; better safe than sorry)
    (NOTE: you should beam to a planet where there aren't any extra crew members down there already or else it might get confusing)
    3. Beam back up to your ship and go to SAIL and dismiss EVERYBODY
    4. Use lava to kill ALL the people on your ship (and since you dismissed everybody they should all die and not respawn on your ship)
    5. Once there are no more crew members on your ship beam back to the planet where you left all your crew
    6. Talk to them (only 2 tho) and beam back up. They should beam with you and if you check SAIL they should also be registered in your crew tab again
    7. Tell them to stay on the ship and then beam back to that planet again
    8. Repeat the process (6-7) until you have all of your crew back on your ship (Note: when you "retrieve" the members they should disappear when you beam back to that planet, if not once you have all your crew back you can kill the extras down there with lava)

Both methods have worked for me everytime and even though the scenario 2 solution sounds risky (because you have to dismiss people) it DOES work. The only thing that I can see going wrong is that you lost / forgot the planet that you left your crew on or you. However other than that I hope this helps ^ ^

NOTE
    Both of these methods WON'T work with tailors since you can't have them follow around. As of now there seems to be no solution to getting rid of extra tailors although if the problem gets so bad with the tailors (such as when I had literally 10+ tailors) just make sure to have the crew wear an outfit you really like and then you can dismiss the tailor and kill all the extra tailors with lava. The outfit will stay (they won't change back into the protectorate outfit) and any new members you recruit will change into that outfit as well. The only downside to the doing that is that you won't get your tailor back but since their only job is for outfits, if you find one you like you really don't have a need for them anymore anyway

19. Eralia

Eralia Phantasmal Quasar

Okay, this bug just happened. Had three crews, none of them are tailors, jumped to outpost(it oddly took a while to load), made signs and came back. Random three duplicates appear. I removed them by taking one with myself, dismissing who i have, then talking to the one that's left. Now I'm afraid that i will have them cloning each time i go anywhere. Dismissed everyone completely except for the engineer, the most important one, because he can upgrade your ship so hard you won't need any fuel. I can buy fake licenses anyway.

20. Kethus

Kethus Subatomic Cosmonaut

Got rid of my non-tailor clones by teleporting. For the tailors I tried getting them together, then making them die repeatedly until the clones gave up and stopped respawning. Keep in mind that you have to stay there because they respawn at your location, I made a lava pit while hanging with a hook or a rope above it. Occasionally they became immortal so I had to drain the pit so they can safely respawn, then fill it again.