DRM policy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gilou, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Gilou

Gilou Seal Broken

Hello there,

Will the Humble Store build be DRM free?

Thanks
    Gilou

• Unwerth

Unwerth Void-Bound Voyager

Humble usually is, so just to clarify the question: You're asking if Steam will be necessary, aren't you?

• Gilou

Gilou Seal Broken

Nowadays, it is not uncommon to find games on the Humble Store with third-party software requirements (origin, uplay, steam). And I know that steam is not a drm per se, steamworkshop is. And I know that some games within steam are DRM free.

But you get it, my question is: will steam (or other third-party software) be necessary?

• Combaticus

Combaticus Orbital Explorer

I know it has a steam page, I'm not sure if they have other platforms they are launching it on though.

• Bach

Bach Halfway Developer Developer

Halfway will be DRM free. It'll launch on Humble Store and Steam :)

• DotBeta

DotBeta Oxygen Tank

If you buy it from the humble store you should get a stand alone copy and a steam key for a steam copy. That's how it usually works anyway.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
              • DanRiverBrew

DanRiverBrew Intergalactic Tourist

I'm not exactly sure what DRM (sorry for my ignorance). I really dislike steam because of the way you have to connect to there service or whatever that is. I like GOG.com better because you can just download and install. no sign in, not online, etc.

So to buy through Humble (never purchased on that site before), are you saying it would be more like buying through GOG?

• Dogkiller

Dogkiller Void-Bound Voyager

In short, yes.
                  If a humble bundle game is sold DRM free you download the installer and then you can install it anywhere without needing an internet connection.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
                    DanRiverBrew likes this.
                  • DanRiverBrew

DanRiverBrew Intergalactic Tourist

• Gilou

Gilou Seal Broken

But wait before buying it. On the Humble Store, it it NOT identified as DRM FREE. It may be a mistake; it has already happened at least once (the other way round: a steam-only game identified as drm free).

I would suggest you to wait for clarification. I will

EDIT: it has been corrected and is now identified as DRM FREE.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
                      mollygos likes this.
                    • Seminus

Seminus Halfway Developer Developer

yes it is definitly DRM free. Humble just forgot to add the icon. Sorry for the confusion :)