Drill-Bot

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by Ginganx, May 16, 2013.

1. Ginganx

Ginganx Star Wrangler

Well, here's my idea. :idea:

If you're trying to dig to a certain biome or depth under-ground, or just clear a path out in a cave, it takes a ton of time to do it with a pickaxe. You could have a Drill-Bot handy (which is basically a small, construction-yellow colored mech with a drill) which could drill left or right horizontally, or down vertically, eliminating lots of tedious minutes of digging.

Crafting could just be some iron, a drill, and maybe some wheels and a battery(?). There could be different tiers of these mechs (defined by color) that drill for a longer period of time, and can go through tougher blocks. If the teir is too low to dig through a certain block, the drill will break and become useless, or just vanish, leaving black smudges indicating where it broke.

The only flaws would be it wouldn't attack enemies (it would be a layer behind them), if it fell down far enough off an edge it would break, and of course the previously mentioned block-tier-thingy.

What do you guys think? I would surely use this item if it were made. :DD
    Positive and negative comments appreciated! :up:

Jedesis likes this.
  2. Luffy

Luffy Aquatic Astronaut

I like your idea! however it seems like such a thing would almost be too good to be true so perhaps it would be made using more exotic materials that would take time to find, Mabye it would run on fuel? either way its a cool idea that i think would fit perfectly in starbound :DD

Ginganx likes this.
  3. Gentleraptor

Gentleraptor Pangalactic Porcupine

Interesting idea. Obviously there'd need to be balance, but such a thing would be absolutely amazing to have for mining, or even just making new paths in a cave. I rather disliked having to make new ways all the time in Terraria, slowed down the gameplay so much imho.

Ginganx likes this.
  4. Ginganx

Ginganx Star Wrangler

Yeah, that would work. Fuel would be much for realistic than a battery. I'm glad you like it. :DD

Yes, I thought of this while trying to make an elevator to the Underworld in Terraria. It was a horrible pain to do. :zombie:

5. Ruin

Ruin Existential Complex

I also like this idea, one of the few that sounds like it would fit in the Starbound... err... Universe.
    However, I highly dislike "Breaking" mechanics, in any game. Do you know how tedious that is? Have you ever played Oblivion, by chance? The entire reason I stopped playing that game after hundreds of hours, is because of how quick weapons/armor could break. Now, running off of fuel sounds perfectly balanced. As long as it would be battery power, and not fossil fuels.

Ginganx likes this.
  6. Moon Star

Moon Star Cosmic Narwhal

Sounds good! Starbound would be awesome with utility bots.

7. Corsair114

Corsair114 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just have it send you a little message that it's encountered something it's not able to drill through or has run out of energy and is now beaming back to your ship. Seems like it'd be beamed down like other vehicles anyhow.