Modding Help Do's and Don'ts of reporting issues with SMAPI mods

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Entoarox, Oct 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

I'm afraid the crash happened in SDV itself, while a mod has likely caused this, actually figuring out what the problem is is incredibly difficult because of that >_<

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

@Johnny! That error is hard to troubleshoot directly like Entoarox said, so we need to isolate it manually. Try these steps, testing after each step to see if the crash still happens.
      1. Reset your content files ("option 1").
      2. Remove XNB Loader.
      3. Remove Entoarox Framework, Extended Minecart, Faster Paths, and Seasonal Immersion.
      4. Remove all mods (except CJB Cheats Menu).
      Let me know whether any of those steps fix it, and I'll help you from there. :)

• Johnny!

Johnny! Void-Bound Voyager

I did 1, 2, and 3, and found that the game would still crash. I did 4, and found the game didn't crash when passing out at night. All testing was done using the same save file. So, I figured it must have been one of my mods, but not XNB Loader, Entoarox, Extended Minecart, Faster Paths, or Seasonal Immersion. I left those in my mod folder, and took all of the other ones out. The game didn't crash with just those 5 left in, so I decided to start putting batches of the other mods in, 5 at a time. I got lucky, because the first batch caused the crash, so I narrowed it down to those 5 mods I'd just placed in.

I found that the mod is Carry Chest. I placed all my mods into the mod folder except that one, and the crashing stopped; I could pass out outside of the farmhouse and continue to the next day without any problems. I'm not sure what's making the mod do that (maybe it's conflicting with another one of the mods I'm using), but I'm just glad to have found it.

Thanks for the help!

• brip1296

brip1296 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hi all! I'm having some trouble with a mod and was hoping to get some help! :D

I'm trying to use "Send Items to other farmers (saved games or online friends)"/SendItems so me and my sister can send things to each other while we play, and while she got it working with no trouble, I keep getting errors; as soon as I'm actually loaded in and standing in my home, error messages come up. I tried it loaded with the mods I've been using, tried separating other mods out to weed out a possible conflict with no luck, tried it with only the mods my sister uses, and even tried it on its own, but it persists. I also tried it with a new save and with a pre-existing save that hasn't been loaded since I started using mods and I'm still running into trouble. I'm going to post two error logs, the one with all of the other mods I'm using in the Mods folder, and the one with solely SendItems in the Mods folder. The latter will be the (1).

I was on SMAPI 2.2, but thought maybe an update would help so I updated to 2.3, but nothing.

I am using the following SMAPI mods, all updated to the most recent update except for Portraiture:
          EntoaroxFramework, AdvancedLocationLoader, AnimalSitter, BetterQuarry v.1.2.1, BetterRNG, Console Commands, ExperienceBars, ExtendedMinecart, GiftTasteHelper, LovedLabels, MapImageExporter, MoodGuard, Portraiture, RocsReseedMod_v_1_10, Better Quality More Seeds, Part of The Community, SelfServiceShop, SkullCavernElevator, SprinklerRange, StardewNotification, Makeshift Multiplayer (which this save hasn't actually been used for), ToDoList, TreeOverhaul, and finally SendItems added today.

If it also helps to know, my sister, who is on SMAPI 2.2, uses the following SMAPI mods: EntoaroxFramework, ConsoleCommands, ExtendedMinecart, GetDressed, GiftTasteHelper, and then she added SendItems.

I tried to figure out what was wrong on my own by looking at the logs, too, but I'm not so good at this kind of thing and couldn't really gather anything from it. If this is some simple issue and I'm just being silly, my bad! Thanks to anyone who might be able to tell me what's wrong!

Attached Files:

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

@brip1296 The Send Items mod is crashing when it tries to read your saves; I suggest asking for help from the author on that mod's Nexus page. (You can post your logs via log.smapi.io and link to them from your Nexus message.)

• brip1296

brip1296 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

@Pathoschild Gotcha! Thanks, I'll try and get in contact with them!

• anmol_am

anmol_am Big Damn Hero

Please help!
                Game crashes when i Mouse over Seeds. Also when I mouse over certain items the mouse disappears and I cannot select the item.

Attached Files:

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

• anmol_am

anmol_am Big Damn Hero

Seems to have fixed the problem. Thank You. Will all my mods work now?

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

@anmol_am SMAPI mods will work fine, but you'll need to reinstall any XNB mods (i.e. those that replace files under Content).

• Luciferish

Luciferish Void-Bound Voyager

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

@Luciferish One of the SMAPI files got deleted, probably by your antivirus. I suggest adding an exception to your antivirus for the Stardew Valley folder, and reinstalling SMAPI. See this FAQs entry for details.

• Luciferish

Luciferish Void-Bound Voyager

Well, I'll be... thank you, I'll get that sorted right away :)

• StardewMe

StardewMe Aquatic Astronaut

Okay, so this has happened twice with two different saves. First one I thought was an off issue then it happened again. To be more specific, the first time it happened. I deleted the save through the load menu in the game then started a new one.

Both times this has happened was when I went to sleep right before the wedding cut scene. No issues up until this point. Using Smapi 2.5.3. I also have Entoarox Framework 2.2.2, FasterPaths with all at 0 except for run speed and the XNB loader 1.1.10 with the Victorian style buildings there. I just assume these are the ones causing the issue since a save without using it didn't cause issues at the wedding cutscene. Also not sure if it matters, I had time frozen through the CJB Cheats Menu, but I unfreeze time before I go to sleep.

This error is the one that pops up 6 times instantly as I click the screen when it doesn't load. I have to close out of Stardew by exiting out of Smapi, since the game is frozen after this.

"[20:26:27 ERROR SMAPI] An error occured in the base update loop: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
                          at StardewValley.Game1.UpdateControlInput(GameTime time)
                          at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime)
                          at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.SGame.Update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\source\_Stardew\SMAPI\src\SMAPI\Framework\SGame.cs:line 580"

Given that this is just a save file to design a farm, being married isn't the most important thing to do. It's just something I wanted to do.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

• StardewMe

The error log didn't go back far enough to last night to get it, so I recreated it just now. Same exact time, sleeping right before the wedding cutscene.

https://log.smapi.io/3ePGvEfZ

• StardewMe

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

@StardewMe Errors in the game code like this are harder to troubleshoot (at least until the upcoming Stardew Valley 1.3), so we'll need a bit of trial and error. First, does it happen if you temporarily remove XNB Loader?

• StardewMe

@Pathoschild So I removed entoarox framework and the XNB loader. Created a new save and rushed to the same cutscene. Same issue happened. The music of the cutscene started but the screen was black. As soon as I clicked the error popped up.

https://log.smapi.io/BgNZ5vVS

I can try it again with just the XNB Loader gone if needed. It only takes about 5 minutes to get to the point of the error.

Edit: With just XNB Loader removed

https://log.smapi.io/Tiz7Sbse

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
                                • Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.