1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone know how to collect bugs easily?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by YunhoTheStarbounder, Apr 22, 2018.

1. YunhoTheStarbounder

YunhoTheStarbounder Aquatic Astronaut

I personally really like adding new bugs into the Collections Library. I recently started starbound and have played it for about a week, but so far the only bugs I managed to catch are a lot of butterbees, a Goldbuck and a Bluebuck.

Are bugs normally this rare, or is it simply because I have bad luck? Should I start using a particular method? Is there some kind of item that increases the bug spawn rate? Can I make a AFK farm in Starbound? Maybe I could check out different planets? Any kind of information would help, please help me!

2. x3notyp

x3notyp Void-Bound Voyager

Hello,

the bugs you can find depend on the biome you are searching in. You can use this wiki page for reference.

I recently finished my collection but it took me several days to get there. This is what I found out during that time:

A single planet can only spawn one specific bug species per biome. That means, if you land on a forest planet and find a Blueback, the entire forest region of that forest planet can only spawn Bluebacks. Since a planet can have more than one biome, that forest planet can have a secondary biome (if it is large enough) like garden or jungle. For example, when the forest planet has a jungle secondary biome and you walk to the jungle area of that planet, that area can spawn bugs usually found on jungle planets. If you find, for example, a Vineclimber, then the entire jungle region of the forest planet can only spawn Vineclimbers. That will result in a forest planet spawning Bluebacks in the forest region and Vineclimbers in the jungle region. Larger planets can have up to 2 secondary biomes besides their primary biome, each spawning a different type of bug.

I think, that bug spawns are precalculated like the generated and unique monsters which are always the same for a single planet but differ for each biome. Also, like monsters, they spawn and despawn along with the distance to the player, though with a much lower probability. Therefore, standing still does not generate any bugs. My best bet was to walk from one end of a biome to the other and back until a bug spawned.

Bugs spawn only in the region of the major biome, be it primary or secondary. They do not spawn in the region of a mini biome, like a bone mini biome in a desert biome. The only exception is the Thornbee that spawns ONLY in a giant flower mini biome found in forest or jungle biomes.

I would suggest that you start with the hardest planets first, once you have the proper equipment. Bugs from scorched or volcanic biomes can only be found on scorched or volcanic planets because those biomes cannot appear anywhere else (except in each other). But volcanic and scorched planets can have secondary biomes of easier planets. Finding all bugs from those two planet types will most probably let you find several other bugs from other planet types and then you do not have to deal with volcanic or scorched biomes again. Additionally, once you have found all bugs from magma planets, you will feel like you could do pretty much everything.

Bugs do not only spawn near the ground, but also up in the sky. Their flying pattern tends to go slowly downward, but it is still possible that you just run under a bug that is high up in the sky.

I also remember to have found bugs in ancient vaults, the endgame areas, but I haven't been in enough of them to see a pattern about what bugs can spawn there.

Exilyth likes this.
  3. YunhoTheStarbounder

YunhoTheStarbounder Aquatic Astronaut

Thanks a lot for the tips!