Modding Help docs for objects and status effects

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by kielni, Sep 15, 2017.

1. kielni

kielni Void-Bound Voyager

The easiest way to get started making mods for Starbound is to start with the stock Starbound assets, right? But what goes into an object file? What status effects can you use? Unpacking the stock Starbound assets results in a directory tree with thousands of files, and no easy way to navigate through them.

To help me and my son get started modding, I wrote a script that reads object and status effect files, generates documentation files, and runs a web server for browsing the content.

Read about how to install it here: https://github.com/kielni/starbound-asset-doc

Here's a description (with screenshots) of what it includes:

search
    Just start typing to search over 3,000 object and status effect names and descriptions. Results display an image, name, and description; click to go to the detail page for the object or status effect.

[​IMG]

object properties
    Displays a list of all properties used in .object files. Each property has a type, list of sample values, and links to objects that use the property.

[​IMG]

object
    Displays the name, image, description, file path, and syntax-highlighted JSON contents of each .object file. Values for sitStatusEffect and statusEffect are linked to the corresponding status effect page.

[​IMG]

statuseffect properties
    Displays a list of all properties used in .statuseffect files. Each property has a type, list of sample values, and links to status effects that use the property.

[​IMG]

statuseffect
    Displays the name and and syntax-highlighted JSON contents of each .statuseffect file. It also displays a list of linked objects that use the effect.

[​IMG]

projectmayhem and GonDragon like this.
  2. projectmayhem

projectmayhem Spaceman Spiff

very nice! Look forward to seeing some of the mods you and your son create!!

3. katana

katana Scruffy Nerf-Herder

FYI, you may want to look at py-starbound if you want to work with packed assets, or pulling from *other mods* as well. I ported it from python to node.js for working with SBON/SBAsset6/SBVJ01 and found it to be a good dep.