1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you want beta?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by The7thLegion, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The7thLegion

The7thLegion Void-Bound Voyager

If there was a beta release do you want it and why?

For me, yes, of course I want to play Beta.
    But I think deep down inside I don't. I want to experience this game when it is complete. Without many flaws, etc.

kgo!

2. Inkheart

Inkheart Big Damn Hero

Well it is true that playing the full release is further more satisfying than open beta.

But seriously, everyone at home is chewing their pillows just dying for the game. Even if thinking logically, no one can resist the awesomeness opportunity.

Right?

3. Swinburn

Swinburn Phantasmal Quasar

It is true, while I like to think that waiting for the full release would be much more satisfying, I could not refuse the opportunity to get in to the beta.

KuroHinotori likes this.
  4. KuroHinotori

KuroHinotori Spaceman Spiff

I'm hoping for an open beta myself, but since it's hard to get good feedback when devs release a massive open beta it'll probably be a closed beta or a first-come-first-serve open beta

5. ThatAmazingPerson

ThatAmazingPerson Existential Complex

about 50% of me wants an open beta/closed beta/whatever beta, the other side wants to want until full release :p

6. Doctor Ragnarok

Doctor Ragnarok Former Staff

While it would be nice to participate in a beta version to both get early access and to help the Devs polish it up, it can likely be safely assumed that most if not all of us what that sort of access and talking too much about it won't help us if it is a closed beta. Not too dissimilar from the people who advertise wanting to become a forum mod. Nothing against you or this thread mind you, just sharing my thoughts.

7. Valkoor Moonblood

Valkoor Moonblood Existential Complex

They still haven't confirmed if there even will be a beta for the community. They may just test it themselves. And if they do, it will be a closed beta, only for several community members. May I direct you here for any more questions you have about Beta releases.

8. SagginPT

SagginPT Space Penguin Leader

I do want a beta, I don't think it would spoil the game for me because I'd see it become better and get awesome updates.

9. karlomka

karlomka Void-Bound Voyager

Of course I would like an open-beta since I can't wait for Starbound to come out but I'm also okay with a closed beta. But all in all I think they should let as many people as possible play the beta since Starbound is a rather massiv game and bugs have to go away.

10. Khaan

Khaan Contact!

Instead of a beta how about Linux support..

11. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

karlomka likes this.
  12. Luihu

Luihu Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm such a selfish and evil person that I would like to deny beta from everyone since I'm fairly sure that it's going to be closed anyway and I never get in those anyway.

Suffer, fools, suffer! Mwahahahahahaaa!

*sigh* I love my life.

MurkyDragon likes this.
  13. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

I think we should have a beta. Early chance to find bugs and glitches.

14. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

Evil! EEEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!

15. Mizzet

Mizzet Yeah, You!

Beta would be awesome. But not until the game is ready for it.

16. Sokina

Sokina Heart of Gold

I want a small, closed beta personally. Sometimes having more people testing it could be counter-productive, especially with larger communities. A smaller group of testers could end up more effectively bouncing feedback off of each other. Say there's a bug where using the Sword of Holy Stuff crashes the game. Every single person that uses it is going to make a thread (Assuming an Open Beta will mean an open Beta discussion forum) or report the bug, which ends up in the hands of the devs via email or more. This could detract from smaller, deadlier bugs, like deleting save data.

I know, people would think having more people test it means more chances to find glitches and bugs. I compare reporting bugs to people entering a revolving door at a restaurant. With a closed beta, bugs are reported fewer times. So they enter the revolving door without trouble, get seated quickly, and the next "Customer" is dealt with. With an open beta, people will inevitably have a looser, not tight-knit group of feedback. So the same bug will inevitably be reported a million times, so that's like 5 people entering the revolving door at once, and the restaurant gets backed up really fast.

A game isn't going to be perfect at launch, the report bug feature will still be there after launch, and I'm sure they'd be willing to patch up any serious bugs in a timely and orderly fashion. So we don't have to have a million people trying to catch every bug that ever existed.

It's like what I always say: For every person that wants to Beta test, there's 5 more that just want to play the game early.

Luihu likes this.
  17. Luihu

Luihu Subatomic Cosmonaut

That actually raised a point I had forgotten already. It does save the game's designers a lot of time to have a whole mess of people playing the game from thousands of different angles - bugs are harder to come by with just a few people, but with enough variables they're more bound to start popping up. I guess I need to reverse my evil policy on this one.

18. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

19. Khaan

Khaan Contact!

20. shadowcrazy

shadowcrazy Phantasmal Quasar

I want a beta...a REAL beta not what most people are thinking of (a glorified free demo) but a beta where it is my JOB to find bugs and glitches to help them get the game released earlier and as perfect as it can be.

Urist McDwarf likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.