do you use the rain totem?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wronghandle, Sep 11, 2017.

1. LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

Sounds like a recipe for fiery poops to me. lol

Seismothesaurus likes this.
    • Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

Considering that I've had a real bumper crop of Jalapeno, Ring of Fire and Thai Dragon peppers, and the Habanero's are just starting to come in, I've got enough peppers to make poppers until the cows (and sheep and goats and pigs) come home!

Much to the chagrin of bathrooms everywhere!! haha

LuthienNightwolf likes this.
      • Rauchschwalbe

Rauchschwalbe Cosmic Narwhal

In my latest playthrough I planned everything so that I can use one rain totem per day. Now the pine trees only need to mature. Then I tap them all and have enough tar for every day. But since I didn't play the last few weeks, it could take some time, haha.
        Reason is, I don't like sunny days. I loooove rainy days.

• Farmer Sam

Farmer Sam Space Hobo

I've been using them a lot in my 2nd fall to farm batteries.

• Git Gud Fox

Git Gud Fox Star Wrangler

I use them to test my lightning coverage and also to fish for rainy day fish.

• Lorekeeper of Wyverns

Lorekeeper of Wyverns Void-Bound Voyager

I don't use them. Truth be told, I always forget they exist.

• Astrid Speckles

Astrid Speckles Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't use them since I can't yet but there have been a few situations where I wish I could,

I still haven't finished the community bundles so I want to try and get a fish before the season ends
                Like you, mermaid pendant

• Erick648

Erick648 Pangalactic Porcupine

The tricky thing about the rain totem is that it requires truffle oil, and you can only get truffles when it's not raining, so no matter how developed your farm is, you can never rely on it as your primary source of watering. I could imagine a scenario where you planted a massive amount of crops, skipped iridium sprinklers, and instead relied on daily rain totems to water your crops (you could easily build up the economy to get all of the ingredients each day), but that won't work because you won't get any more truffles once it's raining all the time. As a result, you still need to water your crops at least some of the time, so you can't plant more than you can water in a day, and at that point, the rain totem becomes less valuable.

Maybe if you've already accumulated a lot of resources, and want to plant every free square of your farm with starfruit or sweet gem berries or something just to see how much money you could make, you could use them to make it rain for a season, but they're not a long-term solution.

• wladisov

wladisov Yeah, You!

I've just adopted the same strategy. A haul of 10 would be amazing. Where do you think is the best place to cast from for maximum eel fishing?

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

The Rain Totem is in an awkward place. By the time you can make it, you won't need it, because very few things are actually geared around rain. There's a couple of heart events, and a couple of fish in a couple of seasons, and that's really it. And by the time you get the Rain Totem, you should already have them.

As far as the other totems...

The mountain totem is literally useless once you unlock the Minecart system because either you are able to just walk there faster from your farm (Robin's), or you are already at the mines, and those are the only two places you might be able to get to quickly with the mountain totem.

The Farm Totem would be useful... except it is at the very end of the skill tree, and it won't work in caves. Still, it has at least SOME value in getting home. That wand is stupidly expensive, even by my standards, but can warp you home from anywhere, including the depths of the skull cave, so at least you don't pass out in the cave.

The Beach Totem isn't too useful, although I suppose if you have crab pots in the beach it might be marginally relevant. Considering there are some things only obtainable from Crab Pots on the Beach, I could see this as a reasonable excuse for it.

• Hakuna Matata

Hakuna Matata Big Damn Hero

As it's been said before, only used the ones from the community center it to be able to buy the mermaid pendant, and for the fish in a previous farm.
                        Crafted one only to the the achievement..

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

They're actually nice for chasing Legends in the Springtime. For me, 50,000g worth of fish in a day is worth a Truffle Oil.

Stryder87 likes this.
                          • JazeQ

JazeQ Star Wrangler

Yes, I usually use it at the start of a new season so i wont have to water my seeds after planting them.

plattym3 likes this.
                            • BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

Does that work? I haven't tried it because the wiki says it won't make rain on the first day of the season.
                              https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Rain_Totem

• JazeQ

JazeQ Star Wrangler

Ohhh, Sorry i forgot to say that i use it on day 1 of the new season. Because i tried using it on the 28th and it doesn't work, not sure if its a bug or not but i hope they'll be able to fix it soon tho. its a bit of work to transition over to a new season without any mods Hahaha

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

Okay. Yeah I understand that. Some stuff it's all the same if you don't get it in the ground till day 2. Others you miss out on what could be a big money harvest if you lose even a single day. Takes a bit of planning to figure out what you can get away with. Either way, planting anything is easier in the rain.

• JazeQ

JazeQ Star Wrangler

True that!
                                    True that, Specially now that the 2 am sleep bug is gone and sprinklers are only limited to at the start of each day. Its a lot of work specially if your farm's planting plot is really big. right now im only using i think 800 - 900 tiles for my seeds and it requires a lot of work

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

I know you said no mods, but if you're interested in building some real production the Tractor Mod is nice. I don't focus on getting myself a Tractor, but consider it more of an endgame item like the wizard buildings. Yet it does make huge crops doable.

JazeQ likes this.
                                      • JazeQ

JazeQ Star Wrangler

Yeahh ive seen it in some youtube vids and its really awesome and good for huge crops but it wont work with my current farm set up hahaha the spaces are to small

BentFX likes this.