1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think there will be special enchantments on items?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by FenixHero, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FenixHero

FenixHero Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well do you? I mean like +15% damage enchant or +5% attack speed type thing. It would be cool especially if you could find some ingredients to put the enchants on yourself.

2. ThrehserMaw

ThrehserMaw Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This plus random stats plus colouring is what will make possible millions of different items , literally.

3. Lagomorph

Lagomorph Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It probably wouldn't be called enchanting but still be similar. If they did do something like that, it'd probably be addons or enhancements that you apply to weapons and armor and such, very much like what Deus Ex did.

4. ThatAmazingPerson

ThatAmazingPerson Existential Complex

I think those type of things will be randomly generated into the item itself.

5. FenixHero

Sure they will be randomly generated but it would be pretty awesome if there were some we could put on ourselves.

6. Яetrospekt

Яetrospekt Pangalactic Porcupine

Since one can only speculate with the information we have at this time. I personally think that it will be a Borderlands type random stat generation system. Same for creature spawning too. Who wouldn't want to fight special "boss" enemies, like a pack leader for a certain type of creature, since we do know that creature look and behaviour has been confirmed to be random (unless I've misread something..) So why not have larger more fierce creatures with a slightly different look and far more powerful stats than the weaker of the pack.

7. Guiyran

Guiyran Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Borderlands is one of the big influences Tiy mentioned helped birth Starbound's procedural generation. It will quite possibly be very similar in how random the stats can be.

8. Яetrospekt

Яetrospekt Pangalactic Porcupine

Exactly. I'm not suprised Tiy used such a succesful system as influence.

9. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

something like "computer chips" or "upgrade chips" would make sense in the context of the game

10. TehEpikMonk

TehEpikMonk Spaceman Spiff

I think augments would be the better word here; computer chips or upgrade chips seem to apply that the weapon is entirely electronic. While it would work for futuristic laser rifles and the like, I don't think it would work very well while describing swords.

11. A.N.T.I.

A.N.T.I. Spaceman Spiff

Enchanting is that of magic and mythology. Starbound isn't magic, science fiction is different. Though I do think items could recieve upgrades, and there's no need to have a fancy name for it, just call it upgrading.

12. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

i was lacking ideas on how to call it :p chips just seemed to fit the bill, small but complex, easy to carry and more or less "invisible", seemed to fit the bill.

there's not much word to describe performance increase in technology the same way "enchanting" does with magic and items :/

13. FenixHero

Okay Augment is a good word lol, enchanting is just the generic one that comes to mind.

14. KwickPhyre

KwickPhyre Industrial Terraformer

Yeah, I totally agree with that. But maybe, like Terraria, you will get weapons that you pick up with random enhancements for instance (just incase you never played terraria) You pick up some sword, and it, instead of being a 'sword' is now a 'sharp sword' and it has +10% Damage.

PS sorry if I explained that badly...

15. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

God no.I'm sure there will be armor/gear to boost your stats and such.Enchantments reminds me minecraft ones,if you mean that I really hope there aren't.

16. Giant Squid

Giant Squid Zero Gravity Genie

It's confirmed that weapons will have stats, but I really hope they have something like reforging was in terraria. However if implemented, I pray it gets more depth, because in terraria there were only a few modifyers, and they were either positive or negative. I hope that in Starbound there will be some stat modifyers that are rich and intuitive, not obviously good or bad. Furthermore, I would like to avoid min-maxing.

17. Mittgfu

Mittgfu Phantasmal Quasar

Wait what? Enchantments? Why should we put enchantments on freakin' lightsabers?

18. Giant Squid

Giant Squid Zero Gravity Genie

For diversity. You would rather have weapons with base stats and no modifiers?

19. Mittgfu

Mittgfu Phantasmal Quasar

I talked about enchantments. Not about modifications.

20. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

Like in Minecraft? I don't think so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.