1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think that the forums will become as active as they were pre-launch and during launch again?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by BitHorizon, Jun 11, 2014.

?

What the title says

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    34.8%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  3. I don't know

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. BitHorizon

BitHorizon Ketchup Robot

The forums move so slowly and mod updates have slowed to a halt. My mod has been on the front of recently updated for 3 days! :(

2. prodamn

prodamn Spaceman Spiff

i was waiting on that update 3 days ago, so i finally could add support for it to my BioSphere mod as requested from an user.

3. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Well every content update will have a "Spike" in activity. That is a common factor for almost all games.

But if you are considering constant player base then no.
    A constant user base is based on 2 major factors.
    1. Player Saturation of the Product and
    2. Market Saturation

The player saturation of the product can be looked at how much time a user spends on the game during beta. After a variable period of time, even if new content is added he or she will not go back to the game for a prolonged time. Maybe a week or so, but then drop it again.

Because of this many people have purposefully stopped playing the game, waiting for release. So they do not get saturated by the game.

Market Saturation of the product is the number of users who are "willing" to buy starbound. An how much of those have already bought it. If you have 1.5 million people who are interested in the Starbound in total of present past and future. And 1 million have already bought it. That leaves a open market of only 500,000 left. Out of those 500,000 only a fraction would buy it, for what ever reason. There is also a chance that upon release starbound will get new found fame. It really matters a lot on social dynamics and what people want. For the past few years quick casual crafting style games were the "in thing". Whether that will still be the case in another year is anyone's guess. But CF is betting on it.

The final determining factor of how popular SB is going to be on release is what direction they will finally take with game design. Bad locked progression mechanics can seal the deal for the game, so it hits market saturation much earlier than expected. So we will have to wait and see how CF evolves the game - and by stage 2 we will have a much more accurate picture of the future of SB.

4. RedScarWolf

RedScarWolf Spaceman Spiff

No, the excitement is gone and I doubt it'll come back.

Piccolo and Pingeh like this.
  5. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

I think it will. A lot of the ticked off people should be sated with an update when it comes out. I recall people hating terraria for redigit "Abandoning it to work on the console version" but after 1.2 it blew right back up again.

6. InsanityPixelated

InsanityPixelated Existential Complex

I think everyone is just a bit tired of the lack of updates.
    Once the update releases hype should return and the forums will be booming with activity again.

MysticMalevolence likes this.
  7. Shackram

Shackram Subatomic Cosmonaut

If the coming patch is substantial i imagine the forum will rise from it's slumber when the patch is out..

8. linkthegamer

True, Might not go fully back but buy hopefully atleast 80% plus

9. RedScarWolf

RedScarWolf Spaceman Spiff

I guess it depends on how long people will continue to act like melodramatic douches around here, because that's one of the main reason a lot of people left.

neil_v likes this.
  10. linkthegamer

Yeah, Hopefully with something better to talk about then how poorly or not Chucklefish is handling various development things there will be a burst of activity and the snark and sass goes to the wayside (or at least the ratio is higher in favor of people not being dramatic).

11. BitHorizon

BitHorizon Ketchup Robot

I think that this video sums this up quite well:

Curse Starwind likes this.