1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think Starbound Is bigger Than Minecraft?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by XtremeNinja45, Jan 3, 2014.

?

What do you think

1. Yes

50 vote(s)
    33.1%
  2. Maybe

26 vote(s)
    17.2%
  3. No

75 vote(s)
    49.7%
  1. BitHorizon

BitHorizon Ketchup Robot

I believe that Minecraft's world is 3 times as big as real-life earth. A starbound planet can't compete in size.

2. Astasia

Astasia Pangalactic Porcupine

The characters in Starbound are 2x4 blocks while in Minecraft they are 1x2. Not really a staggering difference, especially since we are talking several thousand times as many blocks in a Starbound universe compared to a Minecraft one. Starbound worlds aren't that "little" either, running around a large world takes a very long time, digging straight down takes much longer than in Minecraft, and I haven't heard of anyone hitting a ceiling.

BTW, it's not "intensive purposes" it is "intents and purposes." Common error.

3. jaw20

jaw20 Intergalactic Tourist

I mean specific example of mods, since all of the tech mods I have used work fine without the need for a super computer. You are saying Chunks are a problem, well chunks are giant on the pc version. There are about 96,000 blocks in a chunk. My reasoning is that it won't be a problem since the chunks will stay loaded because of the mods. Also FortressCraft is possibly the worst Minecraft knock-off on the Xbox 360, but that's a flame war for another time.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  4. Zekk

Zekk Void-Bound Voyager

You missed the most important part of his post tho, the part that points out that there really isn't a "universe" in this game, it just creates the illusion that there is. The starmap is really just a seed selection screen. And while it's true that you can bring your charachter to other worlds, they are in fact not connected with each other in any way. It works exactly like the world creation in Terraria, just a little more visual and fancy. And while you can't bring your charachter to other worlds in MC, there's also no reason to do that either, as everything exists in every single world (bar specific shapes of landscapes ofcourse).

milkymaidens likes this.
  5. steveman0

steveman0 Phantasmal Quasar

Just about ever tech mod has the problem. Really anything that even relies on redstone is a problem so it isn't even mods that are the root of the problem, even basic vanilla doesn't function completely when using redstone and the chunk is unloaded. Buildcraft, railcraft, the whole technic or feed the beat packs are reliant on machines that operate over a large area that cease to function once they hit the chunk boundary. And chunks aren't that large on the PC version. They are only 16x16 and load up to a distance of 10 away. That's a mere 160 meters which can be walked in under a minute so anything you build is nonfunctional if you take more than a minutes walk in any direction.

I can only hope that Starbound won't fall victim to this problem. I was very glad to hear that there is already a system in place for simulating crop growth when away so I hope similar systems will be implemented for other devices that are added to the game.

If you think FortressCraft is a Minecraft knock-off then you mustn't have played it or know anything about it. It improves on so many elements of Minecraft and did so well at it that Minecraft itself stole from it!

Boshed likes this.
  6. Zekk

Zekk Void-Bound Voyager

Just wanted to point out that both of those mods have something called chunkloaders, that you can place to load massive amounts of chunks. Guess your experience is from before they had those, or you just missed them. Where did you hear about the simulating crops thing btw? First I heard of it. I wish they could just make a clear list of stuff they plan to add or are working on :(

7. Heliostorm

Heliostorm Phantasmal Quasar

You realize those mods have chunkloaders to get around that very problem, right?

8. steveman0

Oh I know about chunk loaders. The problem with them is that they are still fundamentally limited in that they are massive drains on your system. The game is inefficient and loading entire extra chunks grinds it to a halt pretty quickly so you are limited to a very minimal system. The only way you can get away with a significant number of them is by cutting your view distance which is pretty poor to begin with in the game. You certainly won't be able to get away with running a power distribution system over a km range and get decent performance at the same time.

The crops things was something mentioned in passing. Someone mentioned their crops not growing while away and Tiy had mentioned it should already account for the time away. I can't find the reference to it because it came up as something off topic in unrelated forum thread. I don't even remember where the remark was made. It might have been something said on reddit that was linked in the thread.

9. Astasia

Astasia Pangalactic Porcupine

I didn't miss that, it's irrelevant, and we aren't talking about Terraria. The OP did not specify "one world" or "one seed" so it's safe to assume they meant everything after character creation. In Starbound there is in fact a universe full of planet to explore and you can do so with a single character, while in Minecraft you have one overworld, the Nether, and The End, that's as much as you can do without modding or starting a new character. Comparing how much you can theoretically* see with one character is the question.

The fact that each planet in Starbound is generated on demand has no bearing on the argument as each chunk in Minecraft is also generated on demand. You don't start a game of Minecraft and instantly have several trillion chunks in your world, you have a few dozen and more are created based on your seed as you run outward.

*Theoretically is also key here as again, nobody is ever, ever, going to see every block of a Minecraft world or Starbound universe. This comparison is a pointless discussion just for fun, and is not saying one game is better than the other because it will take them a few more lifetimes than the other to explore.

10. Zekk

Zekk Void-Bound Voyager

There are other ways to work around the example you give, but yes, I'll agree on that MC engine isn't extremely good at being efficent. But on the other hand we havn't seen if SB engine is any better yet, so far it isn't from what I've seen, but it's not been optimized yet, so let's see how it ends up :)
    So on the crops thing, nothing is certain then, it's just something that's been mentioned on the fly so to speak? That's a bummer, they really should take some time and make a list of what they are planning to add/change as of now. Wouldn't take too long for them to do, and shouldn't be hard considering they should have some sort of list themselves.

11. steveman0

I'm sure at this point their list is so large that it'd take a lot of time to organize and present in a digestible form that they'd rather spend their time on knocking a few things off the list.

Also Google magic BAM: http://us.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/1sxnhx/does_this_help/ce28w1s?context=3

12. Heliostorm

Heliostorm Phantasmal Quasar

OP also never specified "what you can see with a single character", so that's an entirely arbitrary method of limiting the count.

13. Zekk

Zekk Void-Bound Voyager

Fair enough, that answers that I suppose :) Seems kinda sloppy that we weren't told anywhere how it was supposed to work, or that they apperantly didn't know it wasn't working as it should. It's a beta, we need information to be able to give good feedback. Also I doubt that their list is so large that they couldn't compile something with the bigger overall picture of features and changes they are going to add/make. And if their lists are disorganized, honestly they wouldn't be much a developer to be frank :unsure: But hey, this have nothing to do with the OP :rofl:
    I still think that MC is the "bigger" game worldwise, and that it also is alot more fun to explore in.

14. penguin055

penguin055 Pangalactic Porcupine

I thought this was gonna be about Starbound being more popular than Minecraft...

15. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

minecraft has its own gravitational effect over starbound in that regard

16. jaw20

jaw20 Intergalactic Tourist

Minecraft was released to the public on May 17, 2009, while FortressCraft Chapter 1 came out in April 8, 2011. Also, FortressCraft cites Minecraft, Infiniminer and Dwarf Fortress as direct inspirations for the design aspect of the game.[1]

Also to the OP very funny with the Star joke.

17. Normo

Normo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Since Starbound's universe has an infinite number of planets, I guess you could say the whole of Starbound is much bigger than a Minecraft world. Although, a single Starbound planet wouldn't even come close to the size of one Minecraft world.

18. DeltaV

DeltaV Pangalactic Porcupine

A minecraft world is technically limitless, but once you go out far enough I believe you essentially get lag to the point of the game being unplayable. Starbound has much smaller planets, but each sector is endless as well and as far as I know you won't suffer any issues aside from coordinate strangeness going past, say, x. 999999999 y. 999999999.

19. steveman0

Yes, it was inspired by those games. I don't see what your point is. FortressCraft runs on a vox engine which it was inspired to use by Minecraft and Infiniminer as it was a more efficient approach than the old grid system that was tried years before these games came around and became popular. The actual game itself is inspired more by Dwarf Fortress and more recent developments have been inspired by gameplay from Total Annihilation. The whole sci-fi approach actually hasn't been done at all before in a vox game as far as I'm aware.

20. Sir Barrelicus

Sir Barrelicus Space Hobo

They actually are infinite, but you dont see it. You see, as you walk into places you haven't been to before, it generates new land so if you keep walking in one direction for lets say a day, it would keep generating, but also the world file gets larger, so i say no. No these planets cannot be bigger.