1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you like yourself a storyline?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Samuel, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samuel

Samuel Aquatic Astronaut

What do you guys think of the fact that Starbound is going to have a storyline and missions instead of the unlimited freedom in Terraria?
    I personally think it is a good thing, it gives the player more direction of where to go and what to do.
    You're opinion please :)

2. Ashen

Ashen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I really like a story line in games. I especially like the fact that Starbound is using one and adding in all this procedurally generated stuff so that each play through seems different. Also depending on how well the storyline is they could easily make dlc that expands on the story line offering more depth and plot to the universe.

3. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

I like it. Even if its short, it at least gives a purpose for you being there.

4. Jenkinz

Jenkinz Phantasmal Quasar

I believe this game will have both storyline & unlimited freedom components to it. I just hope the storyline portion of it is good ^_^

5. uigfnbxs

uigfnbxs Big Damn Hero

True, Story lines do make the game more interesting and fun to play. Besides, you have an excuse to not pretty up your space station.

6. FlameCascade

FlameCascade Subatomic Cosmonaut

I personally love sandbox games with storylines. The fact that it's Starbound makes it all the more appealing to me.

7. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves Starship Captain

As long as it's well executed, the storyline should make the game more amusing. But hopefully it'll steer clear of the type of storyline that limits you if you don't want to do it right away. Basically, it should help you to become accustomed with the mechanics of the game, and then it could try to start you off by helping you get specific weapons and materials, but if you are aiming for something different, or if you just want to be free and completely ignore it, you could go off and do what you wish without consequence.

8. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

It wouldn't be an RPG if there were no story.

9. Samuel

Samuel Aquatic Astronaut

I agree! I'm hoping that they can find the perfect mix of storyline and sandbox, where the player can be the one creating and adjusting the story.

10. Chickenlord

Chickenlord Void-Bound Voyager

I'm really curious as to how they're going about the story exactly... I mean, how much dialogue is there going to be, if any? Or will there just be a brief bit of text explaining that the next bit is a mission and giving you context? Hopefully they can find a way to make the story a meaningful part of the game and still mesh well with the sandbox gameplay, as opposed to being more of a scenario that you play the same as any planet. Many games have tried to create a story of sorts but ended up having it feel kind of tacked on, so I hope they can create a somewhat interesting and unique narrative that flows well even if separated by hours of sandbox in between.

11. GigaNova

GigaNova Cosmic Narwhal

I love Story lines, espacialy in games like this. Alot of freedom is fun too, but following a line is more easy and fun for me, i can realy let my creativity run and get one with the story, i love it :eek:

12. Rollder

Rollder Void-Bound Voyager

i love storylines and would love for it to have a narrative or at least random gibberish which they do with a multitude of games

13. Attack_Fish

Attack_Fish Phantasmal Quasar

I love it too! There's no doubt in my mind that it'll probably be really short especially for the people that run through the entire story so I hope that add onto the storyline as they go. Think about how much sense it makes to have time pass between story parts!
    If you think about it, if the story was going on in real life there would be time in between quests and adventures which leads me to a new interesting thought. What if the Devs purposely made you wait in between plot lines so that it would last longer and force the player to look around and explore more!? I think it's such a good idea! Those who just have to jump through the storyline would have to take it slow for a little bit so they can savor the planets around them!

14. Dal

Dal Phantasmal Quasar

from what i understand it's the same freedom with a storyline. but to be on topic i like itX3

15. Kuyon

Kuyon Subatomic Cosmonaut

I am a story buff but I also love open ended games. I think starbound will have a lot of freedom along with the story. Like you could ignore it for a while and still have lots of stuff to do. ^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.