WIP Diverse StardewValley - Hiatus / I'm dead.

Discussion in 'Portraits' started by notsnufffie, Mar 13, 2016.

1. ThitPoulsen

ThitPoulsen Subatomic Cosmonaut

OH i will most likely get the lesbian clint tho, that idea is AWESOME

• sheetcakeghost

sheetcakeghost Weight of the Sky

Hey, notsnufffie! It's probably a tad late for this advice, but you can have CS6 make a grid for you.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      You can even make it snap to that grid if you like.

Karalius465 likes this.
      • Karalius465

Karalius465 Void-Bound Voyager

(This ended up a little out of order aha.) The point of the mod is diversity, but there are a ton of mods that just alter vanilla appearance. Marnie's sprite does have a braid if I'm not mistaken, but the sprites are hard to make out details sometimes. This mod has a female Penny. Also there is no black Caroline???

• Taerie

Taerie 2.7182818284590...

It's like Karalius said.

And again like they said, the point of the mod is diversity. Diversity isn't limited to ethnicity. Most gender identities that don't conform to the ~norm~ see next to no representation in media, and video games especially are terrible with it. notstuffie is doing a really great thing providing us with as diverse a town as they can, if you're looking for subtle changes to the vanilla characters, there are tons of other mods around you could look at.

Kailynn, Karalius465 and Alkanthe like this.
          • ThitPoulsen

my bad, i meant emily x.x @ Black caroline. i was reading the thread before im guessing it was in my brain when i typed it :rofl:

and yes, im aware this mod is for diversity and i genuinely think thats great, i still downloaded mtf penny because i like the design, and i love the idea of penny being mtf as so many people dont respect or understand trans people, but she is still in a position where shes teaching children and shes so kind to everyone, making her extremely difficult to dislike even if some people were against it + shes making it a norm in the town and for the kids she teaches. i am not complaining about this in the least. and, yes, you are right we do. but she was not born female which means she lacks breasts and a more feminine face shape. tbf these are changes that could be done faaairly easily i would think. i make 3D textures myself, specifically skins, and small changes are not that difficult to do they just still do take a bit of time.

All im saying is, when theyre done making all the characters, it would be cool to see different versions including some that are just improvements of the original characters. like haley for example. As for other mods.. the selection isnt actually THAT large. you say "tons" but, there arent many that match this quality or this amount of well thought out changes. i have 2 character mods. this mod and 1 pam mod. thats it. those are the only ones ive found that look okay and are on par with one another. its also an issue of the styles dont going well with one another a lot of the time. ive found some anime ones i think are cute but they dont match the style of the ones i already have so it becomes difficult, i dont want them looking TOO different from one another

• Karalius465

Ah Emily yes. Typing what you're thinking is a common mistake, I just got confused over it.
              What you're saying about Penny still feels a bit... Squidgy to me so I feel it's best not to comment.
              There are tons. I can think of two that have all the characters right away, may edit this to link them.
              Also I wasn't trying to say that "There should never be updates of vanilla to this mod because the point is only diversity" I was saying it's the focus and I'm pretty sure it's been said it won't happen. I know a more "feminine" Penny was not happening.
              Still don't want to speak for notsnuffie, just explaining what I meant.

EDIT: Here is all of the characters portraits + sprites by Pencilstab: http://community.playstarbound.com/...-character-sprite-edits-now-available.111419/
              Here is portraits by einari: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/portraits-mods-by-einari-41-41-all-villagers-done.109202/
              Since these have the whole valley, you won't have to worry about style mismatch.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
                XaviiKinz likes this.
              • sheetcakeghost

I adore Pencilstab's ports, but they don't blend well with vanilla ports like this mod does. I found myself having to pick one or the other and I chose this one. d:

• Karalius465

True, but my point was mostly there are many that just update vanilla appearance. I would probably use Pencilstabs without this honestly. :rofl:

• sheetcakeghost

It might not hurt to ask her, once she's gotten her finished (she still lacks some NPCs), to do some for the diversity mod. Just for those of us who can't stand mismatching portrait styles.

Karalius465 likes this.
                    • ThitPoulsen

@Karalius465

o.o.. how is what i said about penny "squidgy"? is it not true that she is in a position where she teaches children and has a big impact on their life and also their view of the what is normal in the world? (if you look at children who grow up in same-sex households with 2 dads or 2 moms for example or a trans parent, they see it as totally normal and not something weird, which is how it should be imo, totally normal) and is she not a very kind person? im not sure what i said that could be interprited as squidgy or disingenuous.

As for those things not happening, thats fine if theyre not, its the artists choice but this thread has over 20 pages, i did not read every single page. apologies. i was simply saying it would be nice. When i said i would like to see a female penny, i was not trying to be offensive and frankly i dont think i was. the gender "names" or what youd like to call it in this particular thread seems to be male, female, mtf, ftm. i thought my point would best come across using female which would indicate being born a female.

Thank you very much for the links as well i had not seen these before and they are wonderful, however, theyre both style clashes with this one and the vanilla ones. I will definitely consider it but i genuinely like this mod, i love the artists style and i love that the characters have different ethnicities.

• Karalius465

This is why I didn't want to comment on it. I didn't mean you were being offensive, I just am cis myself, and didn't think I should try having a long conversation over how it is being otherwise, squidgy to me, is a touchy subject/easily confused ETC... I'm sorry if it seemed otherwise. Difficult to explain intent over text.
                        I know it's a long thread, which is why I thought trying to explain would be helpful so you didn't need to go through it all.
                        I misunderstood then with the portraits. I thought the big problem was so many leave characters missing, sorry.

• ThitPoulsen

Ah im sorry, squidgy isnt particularly descriptive so i assumed you meant what most people i have previously had conversations with this about, meant. which is usually negative or offensive. Youre right this is a touchy subject and a lot of people tend to get more emotional/easier offended when it comes to this, mostly because its something theyre passionate about or it is literally their life and something they attribute to themselves so i understand its a difficult subject but i didnt mean anything bad by it. i am also cis, however, i dont know anyone in my personal life who uses the term "cis" regularly. as i mentioned earlier i do 3D texturing and i do that on a virtual universe application/website where i roam in the developing community as i am one, and i have a lot of friends there, many of them, are trans and homosexual, i dont usually think about them as having a label, i think of them as people, my close friends who i love. we do not go around talking about it constantly or making a huge deal out of it as they just want to be treated normally. i have an immense amount of respect for people and how they choose to identify, whether its trans, bisexual, homosexual, cis, asexual etc etc, there are so many different "labels" you can identify under that are not just gender itself, as otherwise i could not expect them to respect the way i identify either even tho cis is considered the "norm" i suppose.
                          all i stated earlier was that i think it was great that mtf penny was put in a situation where she exudes trust and has people behind her who have faith in her and dont judge her for how she identifies and have accepted her. i realize mtf is not how she was written so theres nothing to go against it but since no dialog was altered and that is an option to do, i assume she is accepted in the community and everyone treats her normally like any other person. i was simply noting it is a positive thing as i know people who cant accept trans and homosexual people at all and im just happy to see that is not the case here.
                          Penny is a character, i was not sure if you can say she was assigned a gender at birth, so female for me, made the most sense. though i suppose if you consider her creation, her birth, i would just like a cis penny. because i think it would be adorable to see her pregnant for example. i personally play female but i wouldnt be against playing a run as a guy to marry penny. i married leah in my first run and adopted children so ive already experienced that, and since i dont really like the males in this game except harvey and probably shane, its kinda difficult for me to date the guys or find them attractive as for me they behave and appear very young. and i say that as a 23 year old. i find them too young.

anyway, i dont mean for this to be a huge thing lol and i will probably end up switching over to pencilstabs portraits for now, i just really prefer this mod as it also comes with really good sprites and i really love that theyre different ethnicities. im also looking forward to a lesbian clint.

• Karalius465

It's okay! I realized that I had used a word that I use personally without thinking and that it's not got a common meaning when I saw it'd given you the wrong idea :rofl:
                            If this mod ever added that it'd be nice as well I think. :)
                            If it helps, the bachelors were said to be early 20s by CA, though I just find them bland.

• ThitPoulsen

ah im glad this didnt turn out bad and we seem to understand each other now xD esp cuz i think we actually agree on stuff we just say things differently

& @ bland. yes. exactly. i made a whole thread about this lmao, they seem like overgrown teenagers to me, idc what they were supposed to be, the way they turned out, theyre extremely stereotypical. the girls have a bit more depth. i feel a little bad cuz i love this game and CA did a wonderful job, i dont wanna mod the entire thing but x.x the guys tho. mann. they kinda.. suck..

Karalius465 likes this.
                              • notsnufffie

notsnufffie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

@ThitPoulsen | I'm glad you like my art style, but there won't be neutral versions, that's not what I'm doing here. I love Penny as is but there have been requests for her to have breast and be more stereo typically female. If and when Penny gets a second edit I'll address this (she'll be dark skin and still be a trans girl). Harvey will get a non Sikh version later (see main post).

@Karalius465 | <3

@wraith_magus | GREAT WORK! <3<3 I don't know anything about that side of modding the game! If you can't get Cleo to work Clint will do. I'm reallly excited to get to work on her! (I have family in town this week so I don't be getting much done.)

@sheetcakeghost | Thanks!! That is going to help me so much! Bless you!

Alkanthe and Karalius465 like this.
                                • sheetcakeghost

You could even say they're vanilla. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

*ahem* Anyway, if you're wanting some alternate ports for Marnie that also blends with this mod and the original ports take a gander at Siv's Marriage Mod. The visual updates are a separate thing from the mod itself, and I personally use that Marnie as well as that Gus.

Glad it was helpful to you NS! I use it all the time and tend to assume everyone knows about it. d: Sorry I didn't mention it before you went on your trip and welcome back!

ThitPoulsen and notsnufffie like this.
                                  • ThitPoulsen

ah well, fair enough lol youre still doing an awesome job, i just had to ask. looking forward to non-sikh harvey though. i had him in my game for a while but i felt a little awkward about it because hes the only current bachelor i like so it didnt make sense for me to give him a religion when im not religious myself.

Would you allow anyone to do recolors/adjustments of your models though? more specifically the sprites (maybe portraits if it becomes a thing but mainly sprites). If so i could probably modify them myself. if not i totally understand and respect that c:

• matheus153

matheus153 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

what about an hindu Sandy?

WillowboroughFarm and Alkanthe like this.
                                      • matheus153

matheus153 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Something like this :v
                                        Sandy Portrait.png

• ThitPoulsen

matheus153 likes this.