WIP Diverse StardewValley - Hiatus / I'm dead.

Discussion in 'Portraits' started by notsnufffie, Mar 13, 2016.

1. elenorasweet

elenorasweet Seal Broken

These are soooo amazing. Penny! Seb! ALEX!!! Alex and Harvey are especially mind-blowing.

I cannot wait to see your Wizard, or your PoC Penny & Pam!

notsnufffie likes this.
    • sheetcakeghost

sheetcakeghost Weight of the Sky

GiMP is a pretty good program. I used it a lot until I could write photoshop off on my taxes (job expense.)

• Elendaric

Elendaric Poptop Tamer

Thanks for the recommandation, I'll look into it!

• notsnufffie

notsnufffie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I might have to look into GIMP, I used it once a million years ago but I'd really rather not have to learn to use something else. (I got CS6 from a friend *wink*. I mostly use Manga Studio for drawing, photoshop just works better for pixel art. Or at least that's what I've found.)

The transparent background in Photoshop used to line up real nice with the portraits indicating were each set needed to be, like this:
          [​IMG]

Now the transparent background is scaling when I zoom in, which isn't a huge deal but it makes finding the exact location for the new portrait a huge pain. I googled for hours trying to figure out why it's doing this but haven't been able to figure it out. Even reset all the setting in Photoshop hoping that would help, it didn't.
          [​IMG]

It also becomes this ungodly mess when I zoom in more. The white grid has its uses but it makes it even more clear the transparent background is messed up, before the white grid and the gray and white squares would always line up perfectly, now its an overlappping mess.
          [​IMG]

I went out of town and the next time I opened Photoshop it was just doing this. What did I do?? How do I fix this?

• sheetcakeghost

There is a feature in extras that turns on a grid when you zoom in. The point of it is to help with pixel art. If you don't want it there you need to uncheck it.
            [​IMG]

Personally I just uncheck Extras itself as I never need any of the things it offers, but if you do that remember that you need to uncheck Pixel Grid first.

notsnufffie likes this.
            • notsnufffie

I always turned white grid on and off with Ctrl H, nice to know where it is though. That doesn't fix the transparent background problem. The gray and white squares used to stay big so that a portraits space was 4 wide and 4 high. Nothing is lining up right and yeah I COULD just make a ton of guild lines but I DONT WANT TO if I can just fix it. (Today has also been crazy stressful. :cry:)

Taerie likes this.
              • Karalius465

Karalius465 Void-Bound Voyager

I don't think the issue was the grid, but the grey check that indicates transparent/no background scaling larger when she zooms instead of remaining at the small size?
                EDIT: Didn't see Notsnuffie already replied sorry!

Taerie likes this.
                • wraith_magus

wraith_magus Space Spelunker

What zoom level are you using? This isn't a fix or anything, but GIMP has done that for a while - the gray/white background has squares that are always exactly 8 pixels wide, regardless of zoom level, but that also means that 400% zoom lines up nicely.

• sheetcakeghost

Ah, I misread the post with the question. (I do that sometimes.) Have you changed your OGL settings?

Edit > Preferences > Performance
                    [​IMG]
                    Advanced Settings

[​IMG]

As you can see I have mine set to advanced. If it's set Basic then it tends to not scale properly or at all.

• notsnufffie

[​IMG]
                      Mine is the same as yours. Why you do this Photoshop? >8( Could it have to do with "Use OpenCL"? I don't even know how to get that not grayed out and how would it have been on before and now not on. I don't even know. I'm leaving town tomorrow at the crack of dawn so I'll either deal with this or keep trying to find a fix when I get back. Thanks for the help guys. Hopeful we or I can figure this out.

• sheetcakeghost

Well mine does scale like your problem, which I always assumed was normal (and why I thought your issue was the grid lines) but the advice I read on it not scaling had to do with the graphics processor being turned off. So I think in this case CS6 might be functioning as intended. You could try resetting your preferences tho. It might help.

I actually use the slice tool to make the 16x16 grid for reference so you could maybe do that for the ports to make sure they're centered and the same size and what have you.

• wraith_magus

'Sup guys! I'm in ur game. Moddin' ur dialogue.
                          [​IMG]

OK, I've been testing what I can do with just the .xna manipulation.

Turns out I can make male/female dialogue different, replace lines, extend lines through multiple additional "sentences" that can be said in any given day, and make any of the existing faces/expressions appear. I cannot, however, create lines, or add new tags for expressions to be determined, even when following the naming conventions, so those things must be sitting in compiled code you'd need SMAPI or Farmhand to touch.

This means I can alter existing lines of dialogue, and make "Cleo" react differently to boys and girls, but I cannot add any new dialogue, even ones replacing existing dialogue based upon heart level, or change heart level reactions. (That is, on Mondays, for example, vanilla Clint talks about his father, grandfather, and great-grandfather being a blacksmith unless you have 4+ hearts, in which case it switches to a different line about how being a farmer is better than being at a furnace all day.)

That said, with dire enough rewrites, so long as there are only 6 portraits, the portraits can show completely different emotions than what they did originally, as every situation where they appear are editable, including events. Hence, if you want two different levels of sad face, and no angry face, that can be done.

Clint has few lines that depend upon heart level, and there are only three lines that depend upon season, although they oddly are all clones of existing non-seasonal lines. This basically means poor Cleo won't get much character development unless we want to go for SMAPI.

Also, I can change the way that other people refer to Clint to Cleo, and change the name in-game to Cleo, although I haven't tested that yet, but she'll still need to have internal references as "Clint"... No idea how that really will work out, since this is a game that references by character name rather than unique ID, which is why naming a cow after your spouse can mean you wind up with a cow in bed next to you in the morning.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
                          • sheetcakeghost

If you name changing method involves NPCDisposition.xnb then I can confirm it will work. I've changed my Leah into Liam that way as I use the gender bend of them in my game. It works well for the most part, however, certain quest letters from mail.xnb will always have the original name on the bottom and there's nothing that can be done about it.

We could keep the name as Clint, then change a line of dialog in a scene where Clint mentions that she was named after her father, and that she likes the name and coming from a long like of Clints. d:

Alkanthe likes this.
                            • wraith_magus

Well, it seems like mail.xnb and quests.xnb are moddable, as well. Any text that would be apparent to the player can be changed, so I'm not sure where the problem would arise...

(I don't have a game ready for Clint to send me a letter on-hand, though, so I can't test that...)

• sheetcakeghost

Having modded both of those files I still get letters from "Leah" at times. Though it's possible that I just missed lines rather than it being hard coded.

I think, though, that a player will just have to forgive any gaps like that as something we can't really control. Of course, so long as we're being informed of where those gaps might be, we could possibly fix it with an API later. Presuming, that is, they'd want to overwrite the game's files in order to have the name and gender pronoun change.

Now, seeing as NS intends on Clint being a butch lesbian I think having her keep the masculine name should be fine. Especially when all we'll need to do then is change her pronouns and one line of dialog to give it a backstory reason. Like the one I mentioned above. Or for her to tell the farmer her full name is Clintina because her father wanted her to be called Clint like him. So long as we make sure that she mentions liking her name somewhere it'll be fine.

Alkanthe likes this.
                                • Karalius465

Clint could also be her going by her last name? I'm here for lesbian Clint either way :rofl:

Taerie likes this.
                                  • Taerie

Taerie 2.7182818284590...

I love this idea! A line of dialogue could have her telling the farmer her real name and how she's embarrassed of it at some point. I think it'd be so much more interesting to keep the name Clint, personally. Even without any such explanation.

Alkanthe likes this.
                                    • HimochiIsAwesome

HimochiIsAwesome Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I agree that keeping Clint would be a pretty neat thing. My IRL name is also for the "opposite" gender and while it can cause a bit of confusion, I'm happy with it and wouldn't change it for the world. (After all, gendering names is just as weird as gendering clothing or toys, if you think about it, no offence intended :D )

I'm curious whether the lesbian Clint thing would end up as part of this mod or a separate mod, since it's not just a sprite change like the other changes. Either would be cool, to be honest! :p

• Karalius465

I myself love girls with more traditionally "Male" names. They're usually cute and like HimochilsAwesome said (Hope I spelled that right!) it is just what people refer to you as aha. Anyway I think the dialogue and such is mostly being done by Wraith_Magus while notsnufffie would consider appearance if it was finished? I'm not sure just what appears to be happening.

sheetcakeghost and Taerie like this.
                                        • ThitPoulsen

ThitPoulsen Subatomic Cosmonaut

i gotta agree with these ones i would really love to see sprites and portraits for people without gender changes as well and as they were vanilla but improved, for example, sam with better hair, marnie with better hair as well as i cant see how her portrait actually looks like her sprite, it seems to me like marnies sprite was halfassed, i dont see a braid on her sprite. ffs. i could be blind but it seems more like she just has shoulder length messy ish hair. i dont like that. and i dont like sams spiky af hair. i dont mind if theyre a different race, that doesnt bother me at all (except with haley and harvey in this particular mod. those 2 and robin (cuz i like vanilla robin) are the only ones i didnt download. i dont like having a clearly religious character in my game, nothing against religion i respect people who choose that but its not for me, even tho i love everything else about harvey and his majestic beard lmao. i wish there was a version with just normal hair instead. and i like haley being a prissy little blonde white girl, i feel like it fits her character well and i cant identify the black haley as her. but i still changed caroline to the black version because she looks super cute and it fits her personality wonderfully.

in short: i wish there were more neutral versions but still from this artist as i LOVE the style and i dont see any other mods for character appearances i like as much.
                                          (except a mod i found for pam and then sivs, i like some of theirs but it doesnt seem possible to only use the sprite and portrait without the rest of the mod and i cant use the rest of that mod. but i want their willy and gus so bad x.x)

i totally understand itll take time and i will patiently wait but i reaaaallyy wish there were more neutral changes too, like id love a white but improved haley and sam with more normal hair, female penny, improved shane with maybe some scruff instead of 5 o'clock shadow and no holed clothes and an improved evelyn. i love her, shes so sweet, but her portrait looks so small and boring.. just some thoughts.