1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Disconnected due to inactivity/ ping request timeout

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Jkaart, Sep 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jkaart

Jkaart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've been running a server via hamachi for quite a while recently without any issues, but after some time ago, a friend of mine, who's a regular on the server, is constantly getting kicked due to inactivity. This issue has happened before and it went away for a while, but looks like it's happening again.

The issue is that said player gets kicked "due to inactivity" even though they are in fact actively playing. In some cases when they join, they can see their ship's background, but the ship itself or their character does not spawn, while in other cases, they leave a "duplicate" on the server, hence not letting them join without me restarting the server. In every case however, there have been no issues with actually connecting to the server. Hamachi occasionally shows random moments of "request timed out" while pinging, but otherwise pinging shows no issues. Her internet ocnnection is fine aswell (she can use the browser just fine) and this has been tested on multiple networks, but they all have the same issue.

2. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

I believe that "Disconnected due to inactivity" means that the client stopped responding to the server and the server detected the client as "inactive". I believe it's related to bad client-server connection.

3. Jkaart

We've been looking into this issue for quite a while and seems like this problem is not caused by hamachi or the network we're connected to. We installed evolve today to see if it works any better, but pinging to her shows the exact same as hamachi did: fine pinging mostly, but random request timeouts. What's interesting is that the request timeouts will not occur as long as she hasn't actually joined the server...

4. RatixFarrence

RatixFarrence Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've been getting the same message when playing on a self-hosted server using the 127.0.0.1 loopback address,because I do multi-box music band playing, and I generally cannot finish a song before one of the clients winds up dropping out "due to inactivity". It also happens on a community server that I'm with. (also I don't use Hamachi, so I believe the issue is not simply limited to Hamachi users)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  5. Kashmir

Kashmir Giant Laser Beams

Have you tried to ping each other with Starbound still closed? Bring up Hamachi, then ping, don't even boot the launcher. If the error occurs, then it's not Starbound but in Hamachi or something in either computer blocking access.

6. Jkaart

Like I said Kashmir, the timeouts do not occur as long as she isn't on the server. Pinging her while the game is running or not will result in a perfectly clear connection, according to the pinging at least.

7. Kashmir

Kashmir Giant Laser Beams

Sorry, misunderstood. I'm trying to grasp exactly what is happening. I use Hamachi when I play with my friends and this has never happened to anyone. But, I never use the 127.0.0.1 when using the server. I always use the IP4 Hamachi gives me. 25.4...... I host the server. Try using that address and see if the same thing happens.

8. RatixFarrence

RatixFarrence Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Updated my post. Not limited to Hamachi users.

9. Deathclaw151

Deathclaw151 Intergalactic Tourist

I'm getting time out of my games on single player... What the heck?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.