1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Director Mode

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Aviakio, May 9, 2012.

1. The Enlightened Grue

The Enlightened Grue Master Astronaut

its like if you let just one computer simulate the infinite galactic congregation of planets that is starbound, but then let it host other people in that congregation.

2. Fuzbal

Fuzbal Phantasmal Quasar

oh okay, thanks! this does sound like an amazing idea and it makes me want starbound 2X more, wait! is that even possible??

3. The Enlightened Grue

I dunno, have you checked out the "announced info" thread yet?
    I wanted starbound 100x more after I read it.

4. Omatsu

Omatsu Big Damn Hero

I hope this mode works both on Single and Multiplayer, so we can have server with boss arenas and they are spawn whenever the server owner want to :D Or even random spawn?

5. Tea Mate

Tea Mate Existential Complex

Oooooh. Could you be like a deity, passing out justice into the world? And perhaps there could be two directors in one world - like deities fighting for the players attention. And the player is all you need to tip the balance and win the world, driving the opposing director out.
    Something like the struggling Gods in Black and White?
    Anyway, i hope this works in LAN, because i have bad internet connection and usually play games via Lan with friend in the same room.

6. The Enlightened Grue

except given the directors ability to use the Generator (I would think) to spawn *anything*, the actual players would be like poor gunmen in the apocalypse, trying to desperately survive an all out chaos.

7. Tea Mate

Or they would be gifted with incredible power by the director, so he would have a hero to lead his forces to victory. Perhaps there could be a mode in which there are two directors, each with a beacon representing his power. At a certain distance from the beacon your powers are either weaker than normal or don't work at all.

Either way, even if it was like apocalypse, it would be a hell lot of fun.

8. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

its a pretty incredibly ambitious idea that could be very fun and rewarding in the right hands.
    i could see myself "watching" over my buddies as director while they play and craft them an adventure and various events.

i like :love:

9. The Enlightened Grue

lets just face the facts people.

Everything is going to explode. horribly. Even the butterflies. Especially the butterflies in fact. especially the cutest little butterfly with the bowtie right there. yes- even him.

Manilian likes this.
  10. LastDay

LastDay Heliosphere

Nah, it's more like being a Game Master for an MMO.
    It's a system meant for running events, you can't be killed.

11. Stargazer

Stargazer Existential Complex

I hope you can use director mode in singleplayer. It'd be fun to just mess around with director mode in singleplayer.

12. The Enlightened Grue

I imagine you wouldn't even have a true body- you'd probably just hang around in a "spectator" mode most of the time.

LastDay likes this.
  13. Killazer

Killazer Void-Bound Voyager

<---- My face when I think of the roleplay possibilities this unlocks... Gah, Im drooling here.

Stargazer likes this.
  14. Lugubrious

Lugubrious Scruffy Nerf-Herder

15. Tea Mate

I understand that, that's why i said that there could be a MODE based on it, but in this mode there would be 2 directors and each would have a BEACON/OBELISK representing their powers. If that gets destroyed, they can't affect anything in that world anymore, unless someone rebuilds it. Also, they can't touch the opponents obelisk directly. And since their powers are even, they would need players to tip the scales. Perhaps the power of directors could be limited somehow in that mode, so they wouldn't just insta-kill players(for example by making them unable to affect the player directly). I don't think you read my post.

Especially since in the end i mentioned that it would actually be fun running through the apocalypse, trying to survive an insane deity chasing after you. Of course, if that was done within some boundries - without insta killing you, when you have a chance to survive.

Axe Garian likes this.
  16. Stargazer

Stargazer Existential Complex

You don't need to limit director mode. Only the server owner and the admins will have access to it. The admins are trusted not the abuse the mode, and if they do, they get deranked.

Dragrath likes this.
  17. The Enlightened Grue

agreed. Also, I think I get what shifter is getting at.

Gamemode with Directors unable to spawn or control non-player Entities within a certain range of either Players, or a Specific "Beacon" Structure. That... that just might be crazy enough to work!

§hifter likes this.
  18. ThatAmazingPerson

ThatAmazingPerson Existential Complex

This is what makes me want starbound the most. It really does sound amazing. :love:

19. Tea Mate

Exactly what i was trying to say! How did you manage to compress it so much? O_O

20. The Enlightened Grue

sometimes I wall of text... sometimes I compress...
    I.. I really don't know.