1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Director Mode

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Aviakio, May 9, 2012.

1. Vespers

Vespers Pangalactic Porcupine

Hmm... I wonder if you could take control of a penguin...

2. Sir Logan

Sir Logan Phantasmal Quasar

A mode where you can control and spawn any creature?
    And build/destroy terrain?
    And play out scenarios anyway you can imagine?
    [​IMG]

3. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This would be like the best thing ever if put into the game... I don't know how to describe it. But really, with Director mode, you could MAKE your own game.

I'll just give a short example. You make a planet, design the environment, make structures, place enemies, place gear, make a village with NPCs players can interact with to gain quests, and give the players items to start out with and everything. You design the dungeons they will face, what enemies they will have to battle, how they're going to be battling. Maybe even take control of the boss to make a completely unique boss who acts with human intelligence.

I don't think you understand what you're doing here. With mod support, you could basically make your own Game Maker, inside Starbound.
    If you could mod in your own tiles, items, and monsters, you could literally make entirely new games from scratch... and if Director Mode is as easy to use as Tiy makes it sound... then you could be putting some serious competition on the table for anyone who wants to make a 2D sidescroller.
    Heck, you could probably make a game like Megaman INSIDE Starbound with mod support.

4. Glitchyroach

Glitchyroach Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Easy big guy, I think you may be over-thinking this a bit. The only thing that is absolutely confirmed about director mode is that you can spawn objects and npcs, and take control of them, as well as setting their behavior to passive, agressive, etc. As far as mods go, this isn't the first game where total conversion mods are available, while i am sure we will have a lot of freedom for customization, i think it's way too early to be claiming that it will put serious competition on the table for sidescrolling developers.

5. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Actually, if you read around you will notice that they DO want to support modding in items and monsters down the road. And I didn't really mean "Develop a game" I meant that there won't be any 2D Sidescroller in the market that can compete because you could do any of those things INSIDE this game.

AND, if you count anything that Tiy said in there as "confirmed" then he wants the ability to spawn enemies, items, dungeons and everything else I said.

6. TheMurumasa

TheMurumasa Existential Complex

Oh wow, this will make running a server for my subs a lot more interesting!​

7. Kyrios311

Kyrios311 Void-Bound Voyager

I don't know if it's been done yet, but I have to do it.

ASSSSSSSSSSSUMING DIRECT CONTROL! :ssssssssss:
    D-d-d-d-d-double meme!

ON-TOPIC: This idea sounds amazing!!! Love it.

8. Sir Logan

Sir Logan Phantasmal Quasar

I l-l-l-love memes!
    DO A DOUBLE MEME!
    It'd be ssssssssssssssssssssswell if you could sssssssssssssstart doing sssssssssssssssssome memessssssssss for me...
    MEMES
    Y U NO BE EVEN MEMEIER

Kyrios311 likes this.
  9. Noc

Noc Guest

This could lead to interesting servers. I imagine someone directing a "last man standing" game as director, keeping everyone on a single asteroid to fight to the death.

10. FrostyWolf

FrostyWolf Void-Bound Voyager

Import custom sprites to server. (confirmed feature)

Make Nintendo Planet and have a quest where Sonic has finally gone insane, and blames all of his failures on Mario, and asks you to kill him.

Lost in Nowhere likes this.
  11. The Enlightened Grue

The Enlightened Grue Master Astronaut

does anyone else see some insane director taking direct control of any NPC near a group of characters and doing something that, for that NPC, would be just 'slightly' out of character? Then proceed to continue this chain of events, making players more and moer paranoid and desperate to figure out what the snozzberry was going on.

... I really need to stop trying to have creepy ideas.

taran_wanderer and Kawa like this.
  12. Яetrospekt

Яetrospekt Pangalactic Porcupine

What for? Let your true colours show! :rainbow:

Noc likes this.
  13. Unconscious Architect

Unconscious Architect Big Damn Hero

Hmmm, this feature might work really well in an area with monsters that can possesses people. Imagine if a bunch of directors got together and possessed various NPCs in said area. Then pretending they were possessed by said monsters. The reason why this would be terrifying is because obviously a possessor would try to act as much like the possessee as possible, but they can't, because they aren't. If the directors do it right, the actions and speech of the NPCs would fall right into the uncanny valley, and that is a terrifying place to be.

14. The Enlightened Grue

because whenever I have a good idea and I work on it a little bit, it develops into a wall of text that nobody wants to deal with :facepalm:

oh god, its another person who thinks like me :DD

15. Unconscious Architect

We are few, and yet we are many. Behold the glorious minds of those who can see past the boundaries of reality to the cloth it is cut from, and from there, draw our inspiration.

16. The Enlightened Grue

shhh! You'll let everyone know the secret! :speechless:

17. Unconscious Architect

Okay, we definitely do not have the console to life open with with cheats on.

18. The Enlightened Grue

... did you forget to download the latest patch?

19. I can already think of what some great diabolical directors will do when they have Director Mode in their hands and on their server...Kaizo Starbound?

LastDay likes this.
  20. Fuzbal

Fuzbal Phantasmal Quasar

how does the servers work? I thought there were just going to be thousands of planets.