1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Director Mode

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Aviakio, May 9, 2012.

1. Hurokun

Hurokun Scruffy Nerf-Herder

well, on dungeons terrain is protected so maybe they could implement the same system to the DM?
    like a block you place that will protect 'x' blocks wide from sky to core or even something that works like the painting tool: you paint, its protected? (the paint tool idea is harder to do tho)

2. HighTech109

HighTech109 Void-Bound Voyager

That "paint tool" idea isn't actually difficiult to implement. I'm worried it could actually be used for griefing.

3. Royal_Starlord

Royal_Starlord Big Damn Hero

I'm very much hoping that 'director mode' is coming after the update. :3

4. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Well, it was more of a suggestion down the long road, something to offer the community after 1.0 is out and things have been stablished, bugs squished and whiners shooed away. I do as well hope it ll be implemented, if perhaps a long time from now.

5. Another Kevin

Another Kevin Phantasmal Quasar

I love the idea, but i'm mostly forced to play alone, meh.

6. OrionGiant

OrionGiant Void-Bound Voyager

Omg I loved the idea

7. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

With the whole concept of quests coming in 1.4, it seems like they might be working towards this (maybe?)

8. Lone(ly)Wolf

Lone(ly)Wolf Lucky Number 13

As a Dungeon Master in a D&D group I can safely say this in awesome, yeah there are problems with it but I say give the people running the servers authority on directer issues and then they could be handled case-by-case. I'd like to see this implemented with no restraints on the directors so they could sculpt a cool story. EDIT: Maybe an admin could chose to enable or disable director mode on a server, they could even set restraints to reduce the directors role in gameplay or ability to grief. It'd be cool to see how many opportunities this would open up in Starbound, I'm sure players would be looking for a director to come and mix up the gameplay while directors would have plenty of willing players.
    Two things:
    1) It would be great to be able to join your friend through steam and enter as a director in their game (if they enable it...).
    2) A way to alter the starting map if you're hosting as a director. This means people would connect directly to you and play exclusively in your world. With this level of authority I'd like to see people join with predetermined gear and exclusively director-made quests. The director could control the ships and act like sail to railroad a planned out story, as well as setting drops and loot. (please let us set loot with /spawnitem so we could create unique and cool gear for the players that would match the challenge we make for them.) I also would like to lock crafting and limit healing items to force players to rest in (unbreakable) beds. It'd be like one big dungeon in the world of Starbound. I know this is asking too much but it's what I would want this mode to be for me and my friends to enjoy. (also explaining stuff irl is a pain, if I could premake a script for all the npcs and have them do stuff on que then that'd be great. Then they'd do all the talking and fighting automatically while I control the baddies!)

Edit 2... I just realized how old this thread is... Welp this'll probs never happen so lets give up while we still aren't too invested folks.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    The Squid likes this.