1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Director Mode

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Aviakio, May 9, 2012.

1. Gusty

Gusty Pangalactic Porcupine

I see that failing if it's related to "specific accounts".
    Instead, do a server related thing.

A sort of a 'Invite only' thing for servers. The creator of the server invites someone to be a Director, or leaves the spot open (with a limited number or no limits at all).

Of course, the server owner would have authority over the Director, for safety reasons (as in, kick, ban, etc).

2. Zellman

Zellman Existential Complex

hm. so it would basically be the "creative mode" of Starbound. Thus allowing one person to GM a scenario on the server? cool

Dragrath likes this.
  3. The Enderman

The Enderman Phantasmal Quasar

That sounds really cool, I hope I can control bosses. :sneaky:

4. Teanji

Teanji Void-Bound Voyager

You could use this to hand craft Machinima's, very nice addition here.

Hyrseht likes this.
  5. Samta

Samta Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This just made me want the game 10x more then before! Can't wait until release day! :eek:

Flake13 likes this.
  6. jackalope

jackalope Big Damn Hero

That sounds awesome!

*Makes underwater octopus village* *Takes control of octopus* *Asks kind group of adventurers to destroy their mortal enemies*

I wonder if it could work with NPC adventureres in single player?

7. writeMotif

writeMotif Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This sounds like an absolutely fantastic feature to have. I hope it develops well, and finds full implementation. Are there any plans to include modding support in this as well, such as accessing all available features in mod-specific NPCs or vehicles? Can NPCs be grouped and directed as such en-masse?

8. FN7

FN7 Big Damn Hero

Maybe with some smooth camera movement like in minecraft's camera filming mod (CaptainSparklez did a review on it a little while back).

9. Sokina

Sokina Heart of Gold

So, basically, the L4D director, but human controlled. Love it. Let's do it.

Dragrath, Bombzero and Cosina like this.
  10. Earic Lodger

Earic Lodger Starship Captain

[Picture removed by admins]
    But 20 bosses all at once? Could that be some sort of tournament? That would be an interesting type of event.
    Say 30 people join a tournament, and then it's organised into teams of 3 (Blue red green) so 10 people per team, and then 20 bosses are spawned and each team takes turns fighting against the bosses. 5-15 minutes time limit so if players take longer than that to beat the bosses then they are disqualified.
    So, say all three teams win round one, good for them, but then round two is extra difficult, as in they might shorten the time limit, (If round one was 15 then the second is 10) or they could up the anty of difficulty so that it becomes harder via adding more bosses at once, or downgrading the equipment so that it takes longer to beat them.
    But say Green team loses because they were wiped out, but Blue was disqualified and Red won with 30 seconds left. Then the game goes into sudden death, where the disqualified team goes head to head against the winning team (Note: this is only if they are disqualified with only one oppenent left, so this wouldn't happen if Green had won) in a battle royal, they get the best weapons in the game, and then they go about massacring eachother.
    Fun.

11. Attack_Fish

Attack_Fish Phantasmal Quasar

OR they could go the complete opposite direction and make everything too easy so that the players get tons of free easy loot >.> I wish it didn't need to be assumed that people would abuse game systems >.>

12. Aeridan

Aeridan Pangalactic Porcupine

I would love for this to be added. It sounds really fun, interesting, and original. This would be absolutely perfect for role-playing servers and such. Looking forward to it Tiy!

Dragrath and Aviakio like this.
  13. KuraiRyuu

KuraiRyuu Space Kumquat

This is totally amazing. I can see wars of lots of director controlled mobs vs normal players.
    It you can control normal creatures then I swear I will be a poptop.

14. writeMotif

writeMotif Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That was actually what was said.

Dragrath likes this.
  15. Earic Lodger

Earic Lodger Starship Captain

YouDOn'say.jpg

Wars with unmanned mans?
    "Unmanned man orbital ground based strike incoming"
    YES. INFINITE YES.

Dragrath likes this.
  16. j03y

j03y Void-Bound Voyager

I don't like putting limits on it, but I think that it would be a good idea to warn players about it.

Maybe using a line like: "You feel a strange disturbance" or something like that.

Or when you log-in you can keep people from logging in as directors or something...

17. Bismuth

Bismuth Cosmic Narwhal

Best thing about starbound:
    The main dev actually is IN TOUCH WITH THE COMMUNTIY
    Unlike some other games that involve manipulating TERRAin...

18. TheHolyWombat

TheHolyWombat Subatomic Cosmonaut

hooooly crap
    [​IMG]
    that sounds soooo amazing, limitless possibilites with friends

Dragrath and 11clock like this.
  19. Gusty

Gusty Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm sorry, from what I understood, Directors account would be a "privilege" thing, only to some people.

20. Force2Reckon

Force2Reckon Phantasmal Quasar

This sounds amazing, I can already see a bunch of people getting together and doing something like the yogscast did (where they have friends and staff working as "NPC's" leading them on an adventure!) Speaking of which if anyone wanted to do that with me (in starbound once director mod is out and running) that would be awesome! :D I could just play the game normally and than you can set stuff up and try and lead me on little side quests and stuff, lol would be an interesting experience (since I would never know what your gonna do next!) anyone interested?

Canopus and Rados like this.